2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It's a flat run, flat flat flat and windy windy windy. But I found a line of trucks going 100 kph/62mph and sat at the back to not obstruct traffic. As for tire pressure, I don't mean to offend anybody especially the guy who went off about it on a previous thread but it's 42psi all around. They are the 17" wheels so there is a lot of rubber and the ride is still really smooth. Drag increased at the cube of speed so 31 mpg at 70 is probably what I am getting too (if I ever went that fast LOL)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My mileage on the last tank averaged 26 MPG on the nose which was mixed driving at about 40 percent city/60 percent hwy driving. My trip computer had 455.1 total miles and it took 17.5 gallons to fill it. My gas mileage computer read 26.5 MPG so it overestimated by .5 MPG.

I have been checking my mileage every tank and the worst I've gotten has been 25 MPG in mixed driving. Best was 31.6 MPG on an all highway trip of 240 miles. On that trip the computer overestimated by about .6 MPG so it's pretty accurate.

Where I live is flat with long stretches between lights. I do live in the city so I'm completely happy with my mileage. I drive conservatively and use cruise control mostly.

·
Registered
999 Posts
first fill up. 90-95% city driving. 17.6mpg ESS engine, 18s, ACC on most of the time

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just went on a trip. 260 miles each way plus extra. Some hills and wet roads, two adults, 4 kids and stuff. Got 26.4 from trip. Filled up before the return trip home and Fuelly reports lifetime 19.4. Aside from this trip, I do mostly 95% city driving.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did a ~1,000 mile round trip over Easter weekend. Van was loaded with 2 adults, 3 kids (age 5 and below), cargo area around half full, and spare tire in the stow'n'go. The route was full of hills, nothing major but flat only around 10-15% of the time, and noticeably windy, mostly cross winds but some head winds as well. All things considered the conditions were significantly less than optimal but we still averaged 28.4 MPG driving between 70 to 75 MPH on cruise control most of the way. I manually checked the system MPG figure based on two fill ups and it came up with 28.1 MPG, which is close enough not to cause me any concern.

For our first real road trip, the van performed as advertised and expected from a fuel efficiency perspective. I did notice some of the gear shifting quirks (not dropping into 8th gear at every logical opportunity) mentioned in other threads but I have no complaints given that MPG results delivered on expectations. Our city MPG usually fluctuates between 16 and 20 depending on traffic conditions and who is driving, my wife has much more of a lead foot. I don't manually check every time but the few times I have it has been similarly close to my highway check described above.

KW

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another trip this past weekend.
325 miles
All highway miles
29.2 MPG
65-72 mph
Based on my experience over 3-4 similar trips, I can pretty much count on getting 27-30 MPG on the highway, depending on speed and wind conditions.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I wish the MPG indicator also showed elapsed miles since last reset.

I left yesterday to travel from New Haven, CT to back home north of Boston.
I reset my mileage and got on the highway. I hit an incredible string of great tailwinds and slip-streaming behind tour-busses and semi rigs.
As I got into Mass... I had (no lie) about 43-45 MPG from all the benefits of a tailwind and slipstreaming... but as soon as we hit roughly Framingham on the Mass Pike, we got STOPPED traffic for about 20-minutes which brought my overall trip MPG down to about 31 MPG by the time we got home.

But... up UNTIL that traffic, I was AMAZED that after over an hour of driving, I could have sustained an MPG that exceeded 40...!!! Granted, the conditions have to be PERFECT... but it was fun to achieve such great results from hyper-miling. :)

P.S.: I had thought of taking a picture of it when it was in the 40s - but then realized how little it would have meant since there is no data being shown regarding elapsed mileage since last reset. Anyone can hit a reset while coasting downhill and show 99.99 MPG... but if there was a visual odometer JUST for the MPG readout, THAT'D be cool. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey PL,

You may be able to get the info you are looking for on the trip computer. I'm not in the van now so can't remember the exact titles of the menu but hit NAV button, then hit the option on the right of the screen, then that will take you to info on your last trip, avg moving speed, avg speed, stopped time, fastest traveled, MPG....

·
Registered
999 Posts
So, since last post, I am up to 20.1 mpg combined. What I am noticing are two things: The dash's mpg taxes you big time if you let the vehicle idle for even a minute. I saw a -1 mpg in just one minute of idle. I was at the carwash just today and saw a whole -3 mpg drop during that what, 5 minute wash.

Along that lines, and #2, the dash's MPG is not close to the actual MPG when calculated at the pump. Right now, my van is saying I have a combined 18 mpg, but actual calculations is 20.1. Keep in mind, I do a lot of city driving, and some letting the car idle while parked waiting for a school bus to drop my kids off or dinking around with the settings in my driveway.

So, mostly hwy driving will probably see close to actual MPG on dash but city driving will probably NOT see actual mpg on dash (actual mpg will be better than dash). This could explain why some are seeing 14-16 mpg city driving. Keep in mind, EPA does NOT use the dash's mpg calculations as the result. Only consumers do that. :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Mine varies but over the long haul the computer has been accurate. If you assume that manually calculating is more accurate then you are assuming that the pump (or pumps if you are not using the same one both times) are clicking off at exactly the same fuel level. In my experience there has been a fair bit of variability of when the van is "full" and that'll obviously affect the number you get when you calculate the mileage.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Mine varies but over the long haul the computer has been accurate. If you assume that manually calculating is more accurate then you are assuming that the pump (or pumps if you are not using the same one both times) are clicking off at exactly the same fuel level. In my experience there has been a fair bit of variability of when the van is "full" and that'll obviously affect the number you get when you calculate the mileage.
I am assuming that yes, as they are state or federally certified/calibrated which is done a set amount of years or months (i do not recall exactly). Also, bouncing the price per gallon based on what went in helps to confirm (but not fully) that you got what you got.

But yes, sitting for 5 minutes idling should not drop your mpg by 3 mpg unless you are sitting at full throttle or something lol. If that was the case, our vans would be out of gas at about 15-21 minutes of idling.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I didn't explain that very well....not that 4 gallons on the pump display doesn't mean 4 gallons, I guess I always figured that was true because of the government certification. It's the "click off function" on the nozzle that I'm guessing can vary between different pumps. How "full" is full? Does the pump always click off when the fuel level is at exactly the same level? Do different nozzles click off at different degrees of "fullness"? I've always thought that was a bigger source of error in the calculations than the computer in the car. Absolutely no proof of this though ;)

·
Registered
999 Posts
I didn't explain that very well....not that 4 gallons on the pump display doesn't mean 4 gallons, I guess I always figured that was true because of the government certification. It's the "click off function" on the nozzle that I'm guessing can vary between different pumps. How "full" is full? Does the pump always click off when the fuel level is at exactly the same level? Do different nozzles click off at different degrees of "fullness"? I've always thought that was a bigger source of error in the calculations than the computer in the car. Absolutely no proof of this though ;)
how full is full might be nulled because you are taking the gallons reading from the pump and using that to calculate your mpg. Naturally, there is some fuel left over but we are talking a < a liter so will that really make your mpg skewed?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
300 miles on the odometer and 10 gallons = 30mpg Now let's say the handle clicks off a little bit later so now we have an extra 1/4th gallon in the tank (it's just a little more full). 300 miles/10.25 gallons=29.27. I guess we need to know how precise those pump handles are to really know.

·
Registered
999 Posts
300 miles on the odometer and 10 gallons = 30mpg Now let's say the handle clicks off a little bit later so now we have an extra 1/4th gallon in the tank (it's just a little more full). 300 miles/10.25 gallons=29.27. I guess we need to know how precise those pump handles are to really know.
if the handle kicked off and still allowed for a 1/4 of a gallon, gas stations would be going out of business. Remember, it is pump driven. So, when the pump stops (handle kicks off) the gas stops flowing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
if the handle kicked off and still allowed for a 1/4 of a gallon, gas stations would be going out of business. Remember, it is pump driven. So, when the pump stops (handle kicks off) the gas stops flowing.
I'm still not making sense here...it's not that the pump says 5 gallons and delivers 5 1/4th gallon, it's that different pump handles click off at different levels. I'm sure I've had some click off early and some click off so late that some gas spurts out. That's the variability that I think is affecting the hand calculation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
41 - 60 of 180 Posts