2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thank you so much. My ESS hasn't worked for at least 6 months and I do have a smaller battery. I will try that.
I think you have found your problem.

From what I have read you can eliminate the aux battery by disconnecting it's negative terminal.

If you want as a test, I would disconnect the negative wire from the aux battery and see if your main battery can be charged and hold the charge for a few days, or you may just want to take the main battery and get a load test on it to determine its health.

With the negative wire removed from the aux battery your ESS will no longer function and you will probably get the message that it is not available.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
have a 2017 touring L...when I go out in the morning the brake pedal will not depress to start the car..have to pump it 4-6 times so I can depress the pedal....anyone else have this problem????
This happens to my late 2018 if it sits for over two days, the brake booster loses vacuum. should be a recall on this

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
860 Posts
This happens to my late 2018 if it sits for over two days, the brake booster loses vacuum. should be a recall on this
See @Lily 's post #8. Sounds like a vacuum leak.

I have noticed on the newer vans (including my prior T & Cs, that the vacuum reserve is significantly less than cars I previously owned. Those usually were good for three pumps on the pedal with the engine off. The T & Cs couldn't even do a full 2. (That preyed on my mind back when the Pacifica's stall af speed issue was unresolved....)

The problem may be exacerbated by how sensitive the sensor is. If it requires significant pedal travel, the engine starting sequence will not be enabled when the vacuum is drained. Kind of a catch 22 situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It worked! I completely disconnected the small battery and after recharging the large battery it started and then started again after not driving for a couple days. At first the gear lights around the shift knob wouldn't light up but that started working too. The ESS doesn't work but I don't really care about that much. Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It worked! I completely disconnected the small battery and after recharging the large battery it started and then started again after not driving for a couple days. At first the gear lights around the shift knob wouldn't light up but that started working too. The ESS doesn't work but I don't really care about that much. Thanks!
Nice, so glad to hear it worked out for you.

It is just such a shame that the ESS system for the Pacifica has caused so many problems for owners and is resulting in a very poor reputation for FCA.

The Pacifica has some very superior qualities to it's competition. I once drove a 2019 Sienna for 4 hours, then got in our 2019 Pacifica and drove for 3 more hours. The Sienna had more leg room in the drivers seat, but I could not believe how much superior the Pacifica's handling was and how much nicer the ride was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does your van have 2 batteries, if so, I'm assuming you are replacing the main battery, not the auxiliary battery. Generally a auto parts store like Auto Zone can load test your battery if you bring it to them. If you are only replacing the main battery and your auxiliary battery is dead or dying it will kill your new battery just like you are describing.

Does your Engine Start Stop (ESS) system work? Are you getting a message indicating that it is not available?

If you have 2 batteries and your ESS is not working I would assume your aux battery is dead and the battery which you replace is being depleted by the dead aux overnight. If this is the case you might want to take both batteries and have them load tested. As I understand it AGM batteries, which both the main and aux are, don't like to be completely drained, they are not as forgiving as the older lead acid type.

Hope you can find the problem and if you do please let us know what it was.
This morning I tried to start my 2019 Pacifica but discovered the brake pedal was hard to push down and the engine would not start when I pushed the button. I called the dealer and my regular service advisor was not in today. The advisor who took my call said gave me a phone number to have it towed in. I checked in the owners manual and did not see anything that would help. Then I found your post!!! Thanks so so much for posting. I looked under the hood and I have TWO BATTERIES!!! I jumped the larger battery and was able to have a normal day! Quarantine time has limited my drive time so I guess I have to drive it more to keep it charged up. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My problem was that I would recharge my larger battery and it would restart... But then would have the same problem a few days later. My weak smaller battery was draining my large battery. I disconnected my small battery which disabled auto start stop, but otherwise everything works great now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My problem was that I would recharge my larger battery and it would restart... But then would have the same problem a few days later. My weak smaller battery was draining my large battery. I disconnected my small battery which disabled auto start stop, but otherwise everything works great now.
Both batteries are in parallel (hence one bad battery can/will drain the other battery).. However, the singular advantage to that wiring arrangement is that both batteries can be charged together. Connecting a charger to the Positive terminal (jumper cable post) on the Main battery, and the Negative / Ground tap near the firewall (driver's side), will simultaneously charge both batteries. Of course, if one battery is defective (internal short, etc.) and cannot be charged this practice will not work. It is important to use a "smart charger" which detects faults and will only proceed with a charge operation if both batteries will accept a charge.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts