2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this post on the introductions forum but figure this is a better place for owners with Van problems and there seem to be more followers...so maybe this forum will help me find a solution or offer support to others in the same boat. Discussion Starter • #1
7 days ago​
(Edited)
Bought brand new 2018 hybrid 9/13/19. Still not driving it because I am unable to smog it due to it having a trouble code in the computer. Shop has had it for weeks and can’t figure out how to fix it. Chrysler has started a case but the dealer/repair shop says they have not gotten my assistance yet? I was told by the shop that 5 other vans in my region are having the same problem. I have a brand new hybrid van that we’re paying for while it sits in the shop not being fixed, it’s frustrating and unfortunate. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar, or are you going through the same problem with me? The code only pops up when you try to smog check the car, not when you plug in basic code reader. The code said something like inspect fuel system...whether or not it’s related to the fuel system, the fact remains that I can’t smog a car with a code on the computer. Can’t smog, can’t register or drive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Discussion Starter • #14
a moment ago​

Edit
Still pretty frustrated. I'm speaking with the dealership that is trying to fix the van pretty regularly. They say that STAR (onboard computer guys) say they are looking into fixes. The dealership has tried several drive cycles which is the only thing anyone has asked them to try. Ultimately my brand new van has been sitting at the dealership service shop for over a month because their mechanics are just waiting for some better direction from someone at Chrysler or STAR. Chrysler Cares did reach out but the case worker I have will call from time to time and leave a message but she tells me that she has nothing to do with repair solutions, only customer resolution, she said the shop is responsible for finding repair options and implementing them. She also said it is the responsibility of the repairing shop to determine when all options have been exhausted. I have asked her what she considers a reasonable and customary amount of time to allow Chrysler to troubleshoot? She said there is no customary period of time and that it is up to the shop to get the van fixed. The dealership service shop does not have other "tricks up their sleeves". This is not a problem that they have dealt with before and they are looking to the builder of the van to find or create a solution, in the meantime our van just sits. We purchased our van 9/13/2018 we were and still are very excited to have the van. I'm just really bummed by the sense of urgency or understanding from upper Chrysler that someone put a lot of time into choosing this van, purchased it brand new only to have it go straight into the dealership for a service problem and remain there over a month. Unfortunately there have been no good communications to us about what the problem is, why it is and what has been tried and what steps are being taken to find the fastest quality resolution. I was hoping to hear from the start...this is what we know, this is what has been tried, this is what we will try tomorrow, if that doesn't work we will replace sensors, computers, brains whatever it is and if it's not fixed by such and such date we can get you another van without the electrical gremlin/s. That's what seemed reasonable and appropriate to me and we have been patient and respectful and even cautiously optimistic throughout, but I feel like the patience has not been acknowledged, appreciated and understood and we're just ready for that to start happening.

If anyone else has had experience similar or has another good and reasonable approach to try, let me know. We would be happy to explore other options to help expedite a happy resolution. Expedite like next week, not...well were looking into this. They have been looking into it for over a month:( Fingers crossed

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ouch, feel your pain... what state are you in? I bought a new 2019 PacHy in California and never had to smog it...?

Probably not going to work but here it is -- have you tried plugging an OBD2 reader in your car and use an iPhone app such as AlphaOBD to read the codes and maybe try to clear them at least so you can get it registered?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had it shipped to me in California. First step in registering is smog check. That’s the only time I drove it was to the smog shop then to the dealership. It’s been there ever since and even the dealership can’t figure out how to get the code to clear. Doesn’t even have to do with smog, it’s a sensor in the bumper for backing up according to the shop. But, they say that you can’t run or pass a smog test with an active code. Change the sensor, change all the computers, then change the car, that would have been my expectation for course of action. Unfortunately I’ve run into a lot of we’re looking into it and just lots of drive cycles for the past month. Still no closer to a solution a month later.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Had it shipped to me in California. First step in registering is smog check. That’s the only time I drove it was to the smog shop then to the dealership. It’s been there ever since and even the dealership can’t figure out how to get the code to clear. Doesn’t even have to do with smog, it’s a sensor in the bumper for backing up according to the shop. But, they say that you can’t run or pass a smog test with an active code. Change the sensor, change all the computers, then change the car, that would have been my expectation for course of action. Unfortunately I’ve run into a lot of we’re looking into it and just lots of drive cycles for the past month. Still no closer to a solution a month later.
Ask @ChryslerCares if your Pacifica hybrid (give them your VIN) has California emissions (for your info in case it is needed later). Even though I understand that a smog certificate might still be needed for registration, it might be worth asking someone at DMV about your situation. Take any information you have about your van with you, especially if it says something on the window sticker about the type of emissions it has. I can understand not wanting to stand in line at DMV (make an appointment), but in case the rules are different for hybrids, it might be another option to check on.
Is there a different smog shop that has more experience with smog testing hybrids?

I've included a link about hybrid smog inspections in California in case it would be helpful.
For more information, refer to BAR's Smog Check Reference Guide.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is really weird... Prior to my PacHy, I had a Camry Hybrid and was exempt from smog testing in California because it is a hybrid. Again I bought the vehicle new in California, I don't know about shipping a new hybrid to California to get it registered.

Edit: adding thanks to @SciTchr - the goodies to my question are above.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do need to talk with DMV today anyways, so I can ask them about a variation...but, when you bring a vehicle in from outside California, this is required for initial registration. Yes the van is 50 state compliant. Keep in mind though that getting a pass now on smog will only delay the inevitable until smog is required. If any code is still present 5 years from now or whenever, then I might be taking this fight without any Chrysler support or rental car potentially. I just assume help Chrysler locate a resolve for this knowing full well that my van is not the only impacted vehicle. Again, this code has nothing to do with emissions. It says it is a bumper sensor. That sensor has already been replaced, but engineers say the code it stuck due to software issue. That’s what they are looking to remedy. We’re over 5 weeks in with no concrete fixes in site. My Chrysler case worker says they are still researching my issue, they will not elaborate on that at all. Still researching is all I am told, also that they can not tell me how long I can expect to continue trying. I’m ready for a new van and they can continue to troubleshoot this van as long as they want. I was also told by my case worker that they will not look into making our car payments until the issue is resolved, even though they have no idea when that will be and they have not been willing to lay any timelines or set benchmark goals? We really want our van, well the one lime it without the software problem anyway. 🤞

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DMV confirmed that van does need to pass smog check. Still waiting to hear anything informative from Chrysler.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
This is really weird... Prior to my PacHy, I had a Camry Hybrid and was exempt from smog testing in California because it is a hybrid. Again I bought the vehicle new in California, I don't know about shipping a new hybrid to California to get it registered.

Edit: adding thanks to @SciTchr - the goodies to my question are above.
My new all-gas van in California didn't need to be smogged either (that starts in 5? years).
The OP's issue has to do with a vehicle bought out of state and then registered in California needs to pass a smog inspection.:confused:
New vehicles purchased in California, registered in California, don't have to pass a smog inspection for a few years.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Over 6 weeks now of van in the shop without repair or even a solid plan or any timeline.

So crazy to me that I have received zero assistance or information from my case manager and when I requested here that someone else try to assist us in this case, you told me to wait for my case manager. We paid tens of thousands of dollars to purchase a new van and Chrysler so far has shown no sense of urgency, desire to assist and really has lacked terribly communication and empathy. It’s shocking to me but it’s time for us to seek our own solutions. I will be starting a case with the better business bureau and at their recommendation potential legal assistance. Hopefully Chrysler will attempt to assist us at some point find a positive resolution for the faulty van we purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have very similar fact pattern as @2018pacifica except that my vehicle just failed the smog test today and the fault code was "C2200" which appears to be related to the Anti-Lock-Brake controller.

Googling around, it seems to be suggested that such fault codes might be a result of poor connection or grounding somehwere in the 12 volt electrical system.

"C2200 is an ABS internal fault. Check 12 volt DG/Rd battery+ and Pk/LG ignition+ supplies from the TIPM. Also check for a secure ground. This is an electrical fault, external or internal... The ESP and TRAC uses the ABS module."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is your problem resolved?
I had same issue but it is resolved for me. 2018, pacifica hybrid Shipped to Califonia from a different state.
Basically, you need to drive >200 miles and have about 15 turn on turn off cycles from cold to hot completed and it will pass SMOG test in California. That's what I did.

Your car was jump started as battery depleted and this causes the code C2200 written in to the system which cannot be cleared using computer. The purpose of adding code is to avoid people selling cars with problems (eg engine light on) by resetting the battery. Once you go through the cold to hot on off cycles (>15 times) and drive >200 miles, the code will not appear anymore.

Please let others know if this solution fixed your problem.

thanks..

Bought brand new 2018 hybrid 9/13/19. Still not driving it because I am unable to smog it due to it having a trouble code in the computer. Shop has had it for weeks and can’t figure out how to fix it. Chrysler has started a case but the dealer/repair shop says they have not gotten my assistance yet? I was told by the shop that 5 other vans in my region are having the same problem. I have a brand new hybrid van that we’re paying for while it sits in the shop not being fixed, it’s frustrating and unfortunate. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar, or are you going through the same problem with me? The code only pops up when you try to smog check the car, not when you plug in basic code reader. The code said something like inspect fuel system...whether or not it’s related to the fuel system, the fact remains that I can’t smog a car with a code on the computer. Can’t smog, can’t register or drive.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I had same issue but it is resolved for me. 2018, pacifica hybrid Shipped to Califonia from a different state.
Basically, you need to drive >200 miles and have about 15 turn on turn off cycles from cold to hot completed and it will pass SMOG test in California. That's what I did.

Your car was jump started as battery depleted and this causes the code C2200 written in to the system which cannot be cleared using computer. The purpose of adding code is to avoid people selling cars with problems (eg engine light on) by resetting the battery. Once you go through the cold to hot on off cycles (>15 times) and drive >200 miles, the code will not appear anymore.

thanks..
Such an obvious solution, that might be all it is. (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts

thanks..
No my problem hasn't been resolved yet and so far a local dealer service station hasn't been able to replicate the fault code and resolve the issue.

What you suggest is a rather interesting / intriguing because I know the seller dealer had to change the battery before I could test drive the car. So if jumping or changing the 12v battery system causes the C2200 fault... it fits.

The only thing is that I drove the car 600 miles right after buying it to bring the car home. maybe I haven't started and stopped the engine 15 times though.

Was your resolution documented by anyone at Chrysler ? did someone confirm the behavior of their software?

I'm worried about just taking the car back, driving around this conditionally registered car, and trying again with smog checks unless this Chrysler owns up to this feature of their software.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dealer said they did the cycles. Code has not cleared, but I emailed him today to try and run the smog check. I’ll follow up tomorrow. C 2200 doesn’t sound familiar to me. My code was different and registered as a problem with a rear bumper sensor. The sensor was changed and the code remains

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have very similar fact pattern as @2018pacifica except that my vehicle just failed the smog test today and the fault code was "C2200" which appears to be related to the Anti-Lock-Brake controller.

Googling around, it seems to be suggested that such fault codes might be a result of poor connection or grounding somehwere in the 12 volt electrical system.
Keep track of dates of problems & dates in for repair. Complain! Keep complaining! What is the law in your area for a 'lemon'?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Already working with stericycle for buyback/replacement and I started with 3rd party arbitrator also just to see what will play out best. It took 4 weeks dealing with fca and 8 weeks of van in shop to get that process started. Still really surprised they haven’t figured out a computer repair for this computer problem

1 - 20 of 43 Posts