2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
An update on my case:

Today my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid was able to pass my second CA smog check (and, thus, to complete my CA registration for this new vehicle purchased out-of-state) after previously failing my first smog check.

After failing the first smog test, I had taken my vehicle to a dealer's service center (with the help of Chrysler Customer Care). The service center ended up taking no corrective action, having concluded "no problem found".

It seems that the "Permanent Diagnostic Trouble Codes (PDTCs)" that were in the OBD II (vehicle's onboard diagnostic computer) cleared themselves either (1) by the time I took the vehicle into the the service center or (2) by the time I took the 2nd smog check.

Between the two smog checks, I drove an incremental 143 miles. It's hard to say how many warm-cycles of the ICE during that interval because of how often I'm cruising on almost entirely electric. Based on @pacificalifornia suggestion, I did try a couple cycles of start the car + open hood to force the ICE on (and even made sure the engine temperature went up by 40 degrees F and reached 160 degrees F). But, I didn't do that more than 2 times after getting the car back from the service cetner. So, what likely cleared the PDTCs was my normal usage of the car before sending to the service center.

I'm fairly confident that the PDTCs were cleared (and I didn't pass just because the CA smog check supposedly ignores remaining PDTCs after certain amount of driving) because:
  • The smog technician used a hand-held scanner and didn't find any "monitors" just before running the 2nd smog test.
  • The Chrysler dealer service center noted this "HOOKED UP WITECH TO SCAN for DTCS. NO DTCS WERE STORED OR ACTIVE IN PCM. CHECKED CARB READINESS WITH SCAN TOOL AND ALL MONITORS WERE COMPLETED." (I've added the underlines. "CARB" likely refers to the California Air Resources Board that resgulates/mandates the smog checks.)
(@2018pacifica - After going into to register my vehicle and pay the sales tax, my CA DMV gave me a temporary driving permit so I could resolve the failed smog check, like @Frig suggested.)

Hope this helps other PacHy owners in CA.

Ironic twist: Driving to my 2nd smog check, I was rear-ended and now my rear bumper sensors need to be replaced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Great info. Hopefully next week we’ll know if we’re replacing the van or if I should just get it back for a while and try a bunch of driving with the ice on

41 - 43 of 43 Posts