2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we recently bought a brand new PacHy 2018 Limited on Mar 17, 2018 from South County Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram (Gilroy, CA). On the drive back home from the dealership, my husband noted a consistent electrical hum on the drivers side at speeds above 35mph. The hum persisted and there was also a low rumble at low speeds < 20mph over the next few days as we drove the van. We immediately made an appointment at Normandin Chrysler, San Jose for the earliest available date (Apr 4) and took the van there as its closer than the Gilroy dealership we bought the vehicle from. The van has been at the service center since then and its been as painful as pulling teeth in getting any updates from them or from Chrysler customer support. They first said that they would not prioritize our service because the vehicle was not bought from them, even though the warranty implies that we could take the vehicle to any of the Chrysler dealerships for servicing. Then after much pressing, on Apr 6, the service center said there could be potential transmission problems and that there is a STAR case opened (Case #33867821). After that, there have been no clear updates on what the status is or the diagnosis. Neither the service center/Chrysler support will return calls or give us clear information on what is going on and what to expect or how much longer the van is going to be at the service shop. How can a company sell a 50,000 dollar car and provide such lousy customer service? The rental car that was given to us has also not been approved for an extension, so at this point we have most likely paid for a faulty minivan that is sitting at the service shop and also paying for a rental for no fault of ours. We really were looking forward to enjoying the van, but our confidence in the vehicle and this model has been badly dinged. What can we do at this point? Would appreciate any pointers from anyone who has gone through something similar. Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
First, you should have taken the van back to the dealer from whom you purchased it. Yes you can take it to any dealer for warranty work and the are obliged to fix it but they don't have to like it. If I owned the dealership I would certainly take care of my customers, i.e. the ones who bought from me first, others can wait their turn. Why should they give you a loner or a rental when you didn't buy the car from them. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
229 Posts
First, you should have taken the van back to the dealer from whom you purchased it. Yes you can take it to any dealer for warranty work and the are obliged to fix it but they don't have to like it. If I owned the dealership I would certainly take care of my customers, i.e. the ones who bought from me first, others can wait their turn. Why should they give you a loner or a rental when you didn't buy the car from them. Lesson learned.

This line of thinking is part of why we refer to them as "Stealerships" and try to avoid them at all costs. FCA should clamp down hard on places that treat their customers like this any way they can as this childish behavior hurts the brand's image and is not a way to build up a long-term relationship with your customer. Perhaps withhold stock of high-demand models or decrease their floorplan/holdback...whatever it takes. So what if I didn't purchase the vehicle from you? Most of a dealerships $$ comes from the service dept anyways, and by providing piss-poor service there do you think I'm going to bring my vehicle back for routine maintenance like oil changes & tire rotations for say the next 5-7yrs? Will I purchase parts & accessories from your parts dept? Do you think I'm going to return to you for my next new or used vehicle purchase? All that lost revenue because you missed out on a couple hundred $$ on a new car sale...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hello, we recently bought a brand new PacHy 2018 Limited on Mar 17, 2018 from South County Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram (Gilroy, CA). On the drive back home from the dealership, my husband noted a consistent electrical hum on the drivers side at speeds above 35mph. The hum persisted and there was also a low rumble at low speeds < 20mph over the next few days as we drove the van. We immediately made an appointment at Normandin Chrysler, San Jose for the earliest available date (Apr 4) and took the van there as its closer than the Gilroy dealership we bought the vehicle from. The van has been at the service center since then and its been as painful as pulling teeth in getting any updates from them or from Chrysler customer support. They first said that they would not prioritize our service because the vehicle was not bought from them, even though the warranty implies that we could take the vehicle to any of the Chrysler dealerships for servicing. Then after much pressing, on Apr 6, the service center said there could be potential transmission problems and that there is a STAR case opened (Case #33867821). After that, there have been no clear updates on what the status is or the diagnosis. Neither the service center/Chrysler support will return calls or give us clear information on what is going on and what to expect or how much longer the van is going to be at the service shop. How can a company sell a 50,000 dollar car and provide such lousy customer service? The rental car that was given to us has also not been approved for an extension, so at this point we have most likely paid for a faulty minivan that is sitting at the service shop and also paying for a rental for no fault of ours. We really were looking forward to enjoying the van, but our confidence in the vehicle and this model has been badly dinged. What can we do at this point? Would appreciate any pointers from anyone who has gone through something similar. Thanks.
Private message @ChryslerCares by clicking on the red letters in the left margin of a thread they have posted in if you can't figure out how to message them otherwise. In the private message include your VIN and the information above. I am hoping that by mentioning them, they will respond to this thread and be able to assist you, but don't wait to contact them via private message.

You should be able to take the van to any dealer, but since that hasn't worked out very well so far, so maybe ChryslerCares can help. Some dealers don't seem really prepared to service the hybrids from what I've read.

Welcome to the forum. So sorry you didn't get a very good start with your van.

·
Registered
641 Posts
This line of thinking is part of why we refer to them as "Stealerships" and try to avoid them at all costs. FCA should clamp down hard on places that treat their customers like this any way they can as this childish behavior hurts the brand's image and is not a way to build up a long-term relationship with your customer. Perhaps withhold stock of high-demand models or decrease their floorplan/holdback...whatever it takes. So what if I didn't purchase the vehicle from you? Most of a dealerships $$ comes from the service dept anyways, and by providing piss-poor service there do you think I'm going to bring my vehicle back for routine maintenance like oil changes & tire rotations for say the next 5-7yrs? Will I purchase parts & accessories from your parts dept? Do you think I'm going to return to you for my next new or used vehicle purchase? All that lost revenue because you missed out on a couple hundred $$ on a new car sale...
Obviously spoken by a person who has never been in business. All the things you mention--never going to happen. Many people run all over in order to save a few dollars then expect someone else to bend over backwards when they need help. Also keep in mind that Buford & Bunny Jackwagon, who are the ultimate bargain hunters and drove all over the place to save a few bucks, are never taking their car back for routine maintenance such as oil changes, parts, tires or anything else. They are heading for Jiffy Lube, Auto zone, Walmart or someplace else where they think they can save money. But when something goes terribly wrong they want to first in line to get their problem addressed. Typical millennial thinking. Go back to where you bought the van or support your local dealer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hawkfan doesn't need to be in business to have this common sense. Dealership owner made contract with Chrysler to treat all customer same regardless they purchased the vehicle from the dealer or not. Treating customer poor will not get them any better.

·
Registered
641 Posts
hawkfan doesn't need to be in business to have this common sense. Dealership owner made contract with Chrysler to treat all customer same regardless they purchased the vehicle from the dealer or not. Treating customer poor will not get them any better.
It is not common sense it's a reality and human nature. Don't expect to jump line if you didn't support the dealer who you are asking to help you out, regardless of the brand. You will always help your own customers first. The dealer never made a contract to treat everyone the same, I have no idea where you got that idea, only to do the warranty work. If hawkfan or you for that matter, had ever owned or run your own business you would think differently.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've never had a car dealer tell me they'd give me priority but I have had a Stihl dealer tell me it. His exact words were "My customers get priority over all. If someone brings their Stihl in from a big box store and you bring yours in. I will work on yours before I work on theirs even if they brought it in first." Later I asked a person or two about it and he had been burned by people who bought from big box stores. The box stores will sell at discounts and such but refuse to provide any support for the product besides the basic "if it doesn't work right after buying they give you a new one sort of thing".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just wow dude. If you and Chrysler have the same attitude, all of you are lost for good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Obviously spoken by a person who has never been in business. All the things you mention--never going to happen. Many people run all over in order to save a few dollars then expect someone else to bend over backwards when they need help. Also keep in mind that Buford & Bunny Jackwagon, who are the ultimate bargain hunters and drove all over the place to save a few bucks, are never taking their car back for routine maintenance such as oil changes, parts, tires or anything else. They are heading for Jiffy Lube, Auto zone, Walmart or someplace else where they think they can save money. But when something goes terribly wrong they want to first in line to get their problem addressed. Typical millennial thinking. Go back to where you bought the van or support your local dealer.
If a Toyota/Lexus dealer did that they wouldn't be a dealer for long. I went into another dealer to ask about the 2017 Sienna tranny update, but based on my driving style we agreed it wouldn't do anything. He was the service manager and we talked for a long while. He said they could do it in ~45min. if I wanted it. They are never overwhelmed (any Toy svc. dept.) and always kind.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just wow dude. If you and Chrysler have the same attitude, all of you are lost for good.
"Dude" You need to wake up to reality. Ever see the sign "we service what we sell". It my not be posted but it's in the back of the mind. If the dealer isn't busy with his own customers he will probably work on yours, if not you will wait till he takes care of the people who bought from him. Those are the customers who will likely be back for their next car not Joe Bargain Hunter who checked every dealer within 200 miles to save a little money. People like that and, I suspect you as well, have no loyalty so you get what you get. I do not understand why Pachyderm2018 did not return to the selling dealer. They would probably have gotten immediate attention and a loner vehicle. The dealer that they went to does not owe them a loner or a rental. See the post by Jerky-san above. Almost no business owner is going to tell you they give their customers priority but most do and that is fair enough, I have no problem with it.
Also read my recent experience with dealer service under the thread "2018 PacHy ABS module failure" and see how customer loyalty pays dividends. It is never only about how much you pay for the car its much more that that, "Dude".

·
Registered
641 Posts
If a Toyota/Lexus dealer did that they wouldn't be a dealer for long. I went into another dealer to ask about the 2017 Sienna tranny update, but based on my driving style we agreed it wouldn't do anything. He was the service manager and we talked for a long while. He said they could do it in ~45min. if I wanted it. They are never overwhelmed (any Toy svc. dept.) and always kind.
Believe it or not every dealer of every brand does it. If they are not overwhelmed as you put it, no problem. If they are booked with service buy customers who purchased vehicles from them you can bet that those customers will get priority. Most dealers are very understanding if, for example, you recently moved into the area and cannot return to your selling dealer but you are still not going to go to the head of the line. Most service departments are very kind as you mentioned, but that does not change the pecking order.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are parts of this story that don't quite add up. Are you able to pick the car up or no? Are they waiting for parts? What parts? I get that you're unhappy but what answers did they give you? Do they acknowledge that the van is broken?

You can safely ignore the off-topic stuff in the thread about going back to the selling dealership, there is no need to do that and the level of service you'd get is unlikely to vary much. In any event the wait you are experiencing is probably not within their control. I would also suggest treating the dealership staff courteously.

If the van has been there for two weeks already you are starting to venture into lemon law territory, in California I believe the rule is 30 days. So there is a limit to how much you have to put up with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is ridiculous! Warranty services have priorities.

Dealers get paid by Chrysler for warranty services. Customers are NOT asking for free services and they should NOT be treated as 2nd class! Those with their brand new vehicles are already suffered and dealers just put salt on them. What if an owner moved? Lowered down to 2nd class with new dealership???

I don't know whom these guys are but they sound just like losing Chrysler dealers to blame customers and make ridiculous suggestions to persuade customers to drive a car to vacation while check engine light is on. Are you crazy dealers? And Chrysler, where are your help?

Be frankly, Chrysler designs superb cars but just cannot deliver the quality. I was attracted by the plugin minivan so I am coming to this forum. I was shocked. At least Chrysler can arrange a rental van for free for their customers while they are waiting for their dream cars in dealerships.

If this is the way how Chrysler treated their customers, I would be interested to know how long this company can survive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've never had a car dealer tell me they'd give me priority but I have had a Stihl dealer tell me it. His exact words were "My customers get priority over all. If someone brings their Stihl in from a big box store and you bring yours in. I will work on yours before I work on theirs even if they brought it in first." Later I asked a person or two about it and he had been burned by people who bought from big box stores. The box stores will sell at discounts and such but refuse to provide any support for the product besides the basic "if it doesn't work right after buying they give you a new one sort of thing".
It is not common sense it's a reality and human nature. Don't expect to jump line if you didn't support the dealer who you are asking to help you out, regardless of the brand. You will always help your own customers first. The dealer never made a contract to treat everyone the same, I have no idea where you got that idea, only to do the warranty work. If hawkfan or you for that matter, had ever owned or run your own business you would think differently.

Actually, I had a similar experience shopping for my Pacifica. Because we had to order (hard to find combo of options), and we were finding same price no matter which dealer we went with, we went with the closest dealer. We figured, this would be where we would likely get our vehicle serviced so we might as well be a customer from the beginning as I have found this to be helpful, generally, in life. I could relate several stories unrelated to car buying as to how being a past, or loyal, or pleasant customer has been beneficial....likewise, I have a couple of stories where I might not have approached something with the best attitude and gotten *unsurprisingly* an in-kind response.

In fact, when discussing pricing with the dealer we went with, it did come up in the discussion that because we would purchase from them we would be treated like a loyal customer, over and above the person who shopped their dealership but bought from another dealer but then wanted that local dealer to deal with issues, do work on their vehicle. An example was that I would be able to get a free loaner vehicle from them for the day when work was being done, whereas the other person might not be able to get the loaner (depending on availability). I had a similar sentiment expressed by another dealer I was considering as well. However, it was additionally expressed that if someone moved to the area (and had not purchased their vehicle from them), that that was not a problem - that person did not shop their dealership - and then buy new from someone else - to begin with.

·
Registered
641 Posts
This is ridiculous! Warranty services have priorities.

Dealers get paid by Chrysler for warranty services. Customers are NOT asking for free services and they should NOT be treated as 2nd class! Those with their brand new vehicles are already suffered and dealers just put salt on them. What if an owner moved? Lowered down to 2nd class with new dealership???

I don't know whom these guys are but they sound just like losing Chrysler dealers to blame customers and make ridiculous suggestions to persuade customers to drive a car to vacation while check engine light is on. Are you crazy dealers? And Chrysler, where are your help?

Be frankly, Chrysler designs superb cars but just cannot deliver the quality. I was attracted by the plugin minivan so I am coming to this forum. I was shocked. At least Chrysler can arrange a rental van for free for their customers while they are waiting for their dream cars in dealerships.

If this is the way how Chrysler treated their customers, I would be interested to know how long this company can survive.
Wow. Earth to Roy, Earth to Roy. What world are you living in? Yes dealers are paid for warranty service but it is fact, with any product, that business "service what they sell" In the event you move into a new area already owning the car dealer has no problem with that or at least the shouldn't. If away from home on a trip same thing, you will probably get help very quickly to get you on your way. Chrysler also provides trip interruption coverage. We are not talking about any of the instances you brought up. No dealer is going to provide a free rental van for you if you are waiting for delivery of an ordered car. Hybrid customers who experienced problems were given rental vans. In my case I drove a rental for 3 months and Chrysler made my payments as well, until the van was repaired. I doubt any other manufacture would have done that.
We are talking about the bargain hunters who shop every dealer within a 200 mile radius just to save a few dollars then expect the dealer who is 10 miles away to give them top priority when they have a problem as well as loner car, a message, a lot of kind words, and a pat on the butt when the leave, especially when the customer crops an attitude with the service department that "you have to fix my car first because my time is more valuable than anyone else's" even though I did not buy it from you and had plenty of time to run all over the place when I was buying it. Not going to happen.
The person who started this thread was whining about not getting preferential treatment ,a loner, updates on repairs and diagnosis, how long the repairs would take, and other nonsense. The dealer they bought the van from was only about 30 miles away but the took it to some other dealer. That is the part that makes no sense. Go back to where you bought it and then if you get treated badly you have a legitimate complaint.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dealers make more on servicing cars than selling them. Dealers typically make more on non-warranty service than warranty service, because Chrysler corporate restricts how much they can charge for the latter.

A person should not expect preferential treatment from a dealer they did not buy from, but they should expect to be serviced in the same order as anyone else who has a warranty-related issue. You *may* get quicker service from the dealer you purchased from, but you should still get NORMAL service from ANY dealer for that manufacturer.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Dealers make more on servicing cars than selling them. Dealers typically make more on non-warranty service than warranty service, because Chrysler corporate restricts how much they can charge for the latter.

A person should not expect preferential treatment from a dealer they did not buy from, but they should expect to be serviced in the same order as anyone else who has a warranty-related issue. You *may* get quicker service from the dealer you purchased from, but you should still get NORMAL service from ANY dealer for that manufacturer.
In a perfect world all you say is certainly true and sales drive service. As you said there is more money in service than in sales except for possibly used cars which most dealers make more money on than new car sales. But what is NORMAL service? That is the question. It still stands to reason that the dealer you were good enough to buy from will, in all likely hood, be inclined to provide you with faster service. It is human nature that if you buy from me I feel more obligated to give you priority, all else being equal. Of course it also depends on how busy the service department is if things are slow no issue, if they are booked up you can bet that their customers will get service first. Everyone can debate, and argue how it SHOULD be, I am dealing with reality. " And that's the way it is, moving west" ( Ward Bond, from Wagon Train for all the millennials out there )

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Wow.......No dealer is going to provide a free rental van for you if you are waiting for delivery of an ordered car. Hybrid customers who experienced problems were given rental vans. In my case I drove a rental for 3 months and Chrysler made my payments as well, until the van was repaired. I doubt any other manufacture would have done that.

I completely agree that Chrysler as well as my dealer did plenty to satisfy us when our ordered car took three months to deliver.
My local dealership where I ordered my car was nice enough to give me a loaner Pacifica while awaiting delivery (but they did that only after the van got on a truck from factory). My car arrived the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts