2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
I Get all that. If it is because of a space between the regen braking, and the hydraulic brakes taking over, I suspect Homer will see that the charge needle raises back to zero at the point he feels the acceleration.

I wish I knew how Chrysler keeps the friction brakes from engaging to allow the regen to work first. I'm suspecting that this is something we may all feel at a future time. Some may already feel it, just that it started so slowly they never noticed it. My Pac just rolled over the 1K miles today. I have a few ideas, but not knowing how the two systems work together, I may be off base. I wish I had a service manual, but not enough to spend a hundred or two yet. My wallet is still hurting from the slimming the state took, when I went for registration, My gustimate was way off.
The regen braking makes the vehicle more efficient by reclaiming energy that would otherwise be wasted. Anytime the friction brakes are working energy is being wasted. The kinetic energy of the vehicle is being converted to heat and released to the atmosphere. You can force it to friction brake only if you want to. Just put it in neutral before you apply the brakes. Of course you’ll be wasting all of that energy that could have been recharging your battery.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
113 Posts
WOW! That's a tough pill to swallow. I always thought/guessed that CA had the highest registration costs, but wow! I had 7.75% sales tax on top of the $640. Does your "Specific Ownership Tax" replace sales tax?

No, that was another 5.27% paid at the time of sale.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
113 Posts
The regen braking makes the vehicle more efficient by reclaiming energy that would otherwise be wasted. Anytime the friction brakes are working energy is being wasted. The kinetic energy of the vehicle is being converted to heat and released to the atmosphere. You can force it to friction brake only if you want to. Just put it in neutral before you apply the brakes. Of course you’ll be wasting all of that energy that could have been recharging your battery.
I understand the theory, but what I am looking for, is how the hydraulic brakes are held off when you push the brake pedal?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I understand the theory, but what I am looking for, is how the hydraulic brakes are held off when you push the brake pedal?
I have no idea for sure how it’s done but just thinking about it logically I would come up with an idea of a sort of hydraulic reservoir. If you think about the friction brakes as being one big connected hydraulic system where fluid is pushed out to all of the brake cylinders when you press the brake pedal which actuates the master cylinder, then what if there were an additional hydraulic cylinder in the system that had a certain limited amount of stroke. Now if you kept this cylinder fully retracted and prevented it from extending at all when hydraulic pressure was present, all of the fluid would flow out to the individual brake cylinders when the brake pedal is pressed and you would have normal friction braking. However, if this additional cylinder were allowed to extend a certain amount then a certain amount of brake pedal would accomplish nothing more than extending this extra cylinder to its limit. Once it reached its limit, however, then fluid would start flowing out to the brake cylinders albeit with the brake pedal pressed further toward the floor. If you could control the extension limit of this extra cylinder then you could essentially stave off the actuation of the friction brakes so they would not start to actuate until the pedal was pressed further down. Just an idea...

Also, I did some experimenting today. Next time you are slowing down to a stop with fairly constant pressure on the brake pedal, try switching the transmission from ‘D’ to ‘N’. You might experience what feels like mild acceleration as you no longer have any regenerative braking. Instinctively, you will have to press the brake pedal further down to achieve the desired amount of braking. But in reality you just experience a decrease in deceleration due to he fact that the regenerative braking has been turned off. Try it and see if it feels the same as the sensation you experienced before while coming to a stop.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
113 Posts
Good video. Now we know it is called "torque blending" for the balance between the regenerative, and conventional braking. That leads to the next golden question. Can a dealer adjust the torque blending value?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve caught or in reality the van caught me several times. It’s scary enough I will shout out a word ** without control as I’m freaking out and panicking into the brakes grab hold. It’s for sure not supposed to be like this. I’ve even had the transaxle relate replaced over another issues and the problem remains. I will try placing it in neutral as a test.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Folks on this site really want this to be related to regenerative braking.
Also, many feel that it is not acceleration, but rather loss of braking.

After having experienced this literally dozens of times, I can say that it is not the transition between regenerative braking and also it is definitely acceleration.

·
Registered
108 Posts
After having experienced this literally dozens of times, I can say that it is not the transition between regenerative braking and also it is definitely acceleration.
I have experienced it many times and I am certain it is a change in braking deceleration when a very slight braking action is applied as speed reduces below about 7 mph.
I would say if you have the ability to try to observe speed during such an event, acceleration would require that your speed increases while you are braking. Of course in that moment it is difficult to be watching a speedometer. I will make an effort to do the same.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
462 Posts
I have experienced it many times am I am certain is is a change in braking deceleration when a very slight braking action as speed reduces below about 7 mph.
I would say if you have the ability to try to observe speed during such an event, acceleration would require that your speed increases while you are braking. Of course in that moment it is difficult to be watching a speedometer. I will make an effort to do the same.
Be safe. Get a co driver to watch the gauges.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
We are experiencing different things then
see my post #11

·
Registered
108 Posts
We are experiencing different things then
see my post #11
so, you are already completely stopped, foot on brake, and the car moves? I mean , I can let my foot very lightly on the brake and the car will inch up a bit, as a regular car will. It does always "try to move" if the brake is really really light, just like a regular car. You are experiencing more than that?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, more than that
I am used to, and expect, some forward movement tendency with foot lightly on brake, just as in any other car.
This was an 'oh geez!' moment, and required hard force on the brake to halt.

My guess is that in several years this will be addressed by FCA via recall. Not enough data at this point for any action.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just remembered that once after I had the transaxle replaced I “started” the van, selected drive and the van under it's own power pulled away from the curb without any input from me. It was under considerable power also. Not a rolling start litter you would expect in a ICE version. Thank goodness it's only happened once but that was enough.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes, I did about a 2 hour test drive.I wanted to see how the difference is between the gas, and electric. It was the seemless transition between the gas and electric, and the electronic CV transmission that sold me. as far as the driver, I see no reason to drive any differently then a full gas version. The Engineer in me just did not like the 17 pac going through 3 gears before I made it through the intersection. I am not going to get into a discussion of the transmissions here, So please do not attack me on how good the ICE tranny is. I think this place would be better if we would try to answer the members question, rather then tell them they do not know anything.

Sorry, I hate posting to a thread, and not answer the OP's question, But I had to respond to respond to HBG's post. I have not driven since you posted this, but tomorrow when I do the weekly shopping trip, I will try to see if I can feel what you do.
The tranny in this is not a cvt tranny by way

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
462 Posts
I think the reference was supposed to be EVT Electronically Variable Transmission. Basically the same theory done a different way.

Reactions: craig

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
113 Posts
Copac, As I said before, HBG...
I know, I know, Some things I just cannot help myself. Like walking by the dog treat jar, The dogs know darn well that I will not be able to walk by without reaching my hand in the jar.

·
Registered
2020 Touring L 35th Anniversary Edition in Granite Crystal
264 Posts
I know, I know, Some things I just cannot help myself. Like walking by the dog treat jar, The dogs know darn well that I will not be able to walk by without reaching my hand in the jar.
There's a difference; I like dogs...

21 - 40 of 76 Posts