2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
113 Posts
I love dogs. our house has 4 humans, 3 dogs, and 2 cats. The dogs can be sound asleep, but when I walk by the treat jar, they wake up quick.

·
Registered
2020 Touring L 35th Anniversary Edition in Granite Crystal
264 Posts
I love dogs. our house has 4 humans, 3 dogs, and 2 cats. The dogs can be sound asleep, but when I walk by the treat jar, they wake up quick.
We have two Yorkie girls. Big dog personalities with little dog clean-up. They stare at me, then the treat jar until I get a clue. Lol. My reference was to liking dogs as opposed to trolls posting smart-ass comments on legitimate posts.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I recently read an interesting (and humorous) observation:

If you have one dog, you own a dog. If you have two dogs, you own half a dog. If you have three dogs, you don't own any dogs.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
113 Posts
We have always had large dogs, 80 to 110 lbs, all lab something mix, except for 1 Dalmatian. For the most part, they were just there, always wanted to see me, but then just do their own thing. Could never get any to play much. One passed due to cancer back in Jan, and we got a border collie/blue healer mix pup. She is the most demanding/ playful dog we have ever had. She would play fetch all day and night if we would play with her. I used to be jealous of people with dogs that would fetch, but not any more. This girl definitely owns us.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had a lab mix from the early 80's into the mid 90's. Maggie was a world class excellent dog! I still miss her.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
113 Posts
The first Lab/ Shepherd mix we got as a puppy died 1 month short of 20 years (got him when my Son was 5). We had 6 dogs we adopted from shelters as older dogs over his lifetime, We loved them all, but got hard to see them go, so we went to getting puppies. Then the one that passed in Jan, was only 4 years. I do not do good when friends, Family, and pets pass.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The first Lab/ Shepherd mix we got as a puppy died 1 month short of 20 years (got him when my Son was 5). We had 6 dogs we adopted from shelters as older dogs over his lifetime, We loved them all, but got hard to see them go, so we went to getting puppies. Then the one that passed in Jan, was only 4 years. I do not do good when friends, Family, and pets pass.
Amen to that. My four year old Yorkie had a vascular event (stroke) three days before her fourth birthday in April. $7,000 later, she is back to normal with the exception of not being able to jump up onto the furniture. It was worth every penny to get her back in the saddle. I always thought that physical therapy was insurance paid massages. After seeing the improvement in my pup, I'm a believer in therapy. I am **** thankful for the skills of the good vets and staff at the University of CA at Davis. We are very fortunate to live close to Davis.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Wow... this thread could be used as a classic example of hijacking.
Admin, if you want to delete any comments above related to dogs, that would be great.

Anyway, for those actually interested / following, I think the issue has something to do with the way the transmission works. In your hybrid, try this and see if you experience what I experience:

Going in a straight line,apply light, gentle, steady pressure on the brakes, M-kay?
Then, while slowly braking in this manner, turn the shift from Drive to Neutral at around 10mph

Then, do the same thing without braking (also going <10 mph)

On a related note, can someone explain to me what happens in this particular transmission when shifting manually to Neutral from Drive??

Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow... this thread could be used as a classic example of hijacking.
Admin, if you want to delete any comments above related to dogs, that would be great.

Anyway, for those actually interested / following, I think the issue has something to do with the way the transmission works. In your hybrid, try this and see if you experience what I experience:

Going in a straight line,apply light, gentle, steady pressure on the brakes, M-kay?
Then, while slowly braking in this manner, turn the shift from Drive to Neutral at around 10mph

Then, do the same thing without braking (also going <10 mph)

On a related note, can someone explain to me what happens in this particular transmission when shifting manually to Neutral from Drive??

Thanks
I have done this experiment already. While braking, if you shift to neutral you loose regenerative braking so you must push the pedal harder to slow the car down because at that point all you have are the friction brakes.

If you shift into neutral without braking then the van just coasts

I believe that putting the shifter in neutral does nothing mechanically with the transmission. It just effectively ‘disconnects’ the motors so that they can neither charge (regenerative braking) nor motivate the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
113 Posts
I believe that putting the shifter in neutral does nothing mechanically with the transmission. It just effectively ‘disconnects’ the motors so that they can neither charge (regenerative braking) nor motivate the vehicle.
That is correct. The transmission has no shifting, or switching gears. It is the two electric motors that do all the magic. The only thing that mechanically moves (besides gears turning), is the parking pawl.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks
So you do not feel a surge forward while braking and shifting from D to N?

Also, it would be nice to know exactly what happens when shifting to Neutral. I understand no parts move, but the electrical motor 'disengages'. How specifically this is done is at the root of my perception of forward acceleration

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
113 Posts
I did not. I still think the sensation is something to do with how the brakes switch from the regen, to real braking. I still have not found a good explanation on how that works.

I have tried, but not been able to create the sensation you describe.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks

Also, it would be nice to know exactly what happens when shifting to Neutral. I understand no parts move, but the electrical motor 'disengages'. How specifically this is done is at the root of my perception of forward acceleration
I’m pretty sure the ‘disconnect’ is done electronically. It’s just like unplugging an electrical cord from an outlet only it’s done electronically instead of using mechanical contacts.

When I switch from D to N while braking I do feel a certain sensation as if perhaps the vehicle were surging forward but I know that is not the case because it is impossible since the motor is effectively ‘disconnected’. So instead of calling it a surge of acceleration I know that it’s actually just a sudden loss of deceleration.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks

So, I’m curious. After doing the experiment of switching from D to N while braking have you changed your mind about whether this phenomenon is to be called ‘acceleration’or ‘decreased deceleration’?

Is the sensation pretty much identical to the one you described in your original post?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So it is definitely acceleration
postive dV/dt

I am going to sign off this discussion because it appears I am the only one who experiences this

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
462 Posts
Obviously, we are seeing the limitation of trying to deal with an issue over a forum. Without sitting in the car with you, we cannot feel what you do. Anything we say is pure conjecture.

Have you addressed this issue with your dealer?

You might be able to take a video while still being safe. Focus on the speedometer and make verbal comments of when you feel this acceleration. It is always possible that you are seeing what you feel, and that you are the only one with this issue. So it should be diagnosed and fixed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So it is definitely acceleration
postive dV/dt

I am going to sign off this discussion because it appears I am the only one who experiences this
If switching to neutral while braking provides the same sensation, then it is not acceleration. Your dV/dt does not go positive(acceleration), it goes from negative to zero. The same thing happens when the wheels lose traction during regenerative braking. Regen is disabled if traction is lost and there is a slight delay before the friction brakes start decelerating the van.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rarely, while braking, and the car is approaching ~ 5mph to ~ 10mph speed range, I get a sudden brief acceleration, less than 1 second, but definitely acceleration. It is unnerving.
The first few times I thought my foot had slipped off the brake and hit the accelerator.
After more experience with the issue, this is definitely not the cause.
It happens maybe once every other trip, usually at low speed, when approaching a stop light for instance.
Some may call this unexpected 'lurching' during braking.

It may be related to the regenerative braking system. However, I would expect a loss of braking power, not acceleration, if this was the case.
Yes it is actual acceleration, positive dV/dt, not loss of braking that I feel.

I found some folks experienced similar issues but most seemed to feel it was a loss of braking

It is unlikely that I am going to take it in to dealer, as it is an intermittent issue and likely no problems will be found.

Anyone experience similar?

Thanks
Yes, in my 2017 Pacifica since it was new. It is now 3 yrs and 57,000 miles old and have had about 15 exactly similar occurrences in the 3 yrs.
I've brought it to my dealer a few times but get a " no problem found" diagnoses. At least I am on record as having reported the issue.
Let me know if you get any diagnoses. Thanks. Tom

41 - 60 of 76 Posts