2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
461 - 480 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Found a paint bubble on our less than 1 year old Pacifica. Our local dealer is waiting on Chrysler to approve the repair. Hoping for a fast turn around to get this fixed before it gets worse.
Mine was about 3 years old when that happened. Chrysler fixed it. My local dealer took care of it, even though I didn’t buy it from them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Just had my 2018 Pacifica with 22,000 miles hood replaced. Typical hood lead edge paint bubbling. Body shop tried to repair hood by sanding but that didn’t work so hood was replaced. Excellent experience with the dealer body shop. Scheduled the work in a week and it took 2 days to complete the work.

Body shop manager thought the problem may be more prevalent in salt air environments like Florida or rust belt areas. He didn’t think there was anyway to prevent the problem.

I’m thinking that since this is a hood lead edge issue that using a hood air deflector could help. I haven’t heard of any paint bubbling on other areas of the aluminum hood. Anyone use an air deflector?

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,104 Posts
A hood detector would not have helped in my case. It is well documented if the hood was not painted correctly in the beginning it will bubble up. The corrosion on mine started underneath the paint. Not from paint being chipped off.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The only thing a hood deflector will help with is hiding it.

Reactions: M0Par and Grimmster

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was looking at used Pacificas yesterday and say a 2018 Limited with really bad paint bubbling on the entire front lip of the hood. First time I've noticed it on any I've looked at. It was the red color.

For paint to be that bad after only a few years means it typically was a factory issue although on this particular vehicle it had been in a minor front end accident so I wonder if the repair did a crappy job of painting?

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Limited "S"
341 Posts
I was looking at used Pacificas yesterday and say a 2018 Limited with really bad paint bubbling on the entire front lip of the hood. First time I've noticed it on any I've looked at. It was the red color.

For paint to be that bad after only a few years means it typically was a factory issue although on this particular vehicle it had been in a minor front end accident so I wonder if the repair did a crappy job of painting?
Hard to say, but I'm sure that Chrysler would blame the accident/prior repair though regardless

·
Registered
3 Posts
A hood detector would not have helped in my case. It is well documented if the hood was not painted correctly in the beginning it will bubble up. The corrosion on mine started underneath the paint. Not from paint being chipped off.
While I believe the problem is due to a painting/corrosion problem I would like to know why the problem is only a lead edge problem. Looking at the sides of the hood from underneath they look identical to the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only thing a hood deflector will help with is hiding it.
I’m still not convinced. I agree that the problem is not due to paint chipping. However, I can’t help but think the lead edge getting more direct air than the sides is a contributing factor. The sides of the hood are well protected from air flow and do not seem to exhibit the problem.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I’m still not convinced. I agree that the problem is not due to paint chipping. However, I can’t help but think the lead edge getting more direct air than the sides is a contributing factor. The sides of the hood are well protected from air flow and do not seem to exhibit the problem.
I'd refer you up to the post above where the guy worked for Chrysler. The issue is moisture settles inside at the front of the hood because its the lowest part. You also can see the bubbling at the base of the sliding doors, same reason. Air doesn't corrode.

He posted a very reasonable way to prevent it from happening.

Reactions: M0Par

·
Registered
194 Posts
I recently bought a 2018 Limited and noticed a bubble on the hood. I purchased through Carvana. Any idea if Chrysler may cover this still? Carvana actually states they repainted the hood. So I can't tell if it's a spot where the paint dripped a little or if it's the issue discussed in this thread.
Grille Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would take it to your local Chrysler dealer and see what they say. Since the hood has had a prior repair it may give them the excuse they need to reject the claim.

I talked to the dealer today. They said they would look into it and of course will need pictures. Worth looking into at least.

As far as the repair goes, quite honestly I don't believe Carvana did anything with it. It has the metallic pearl black which is harder to blend it with the rest of the vehicle and the hood and the rest of the panels appear to be factory paint. Or Carvana knows how to do something right and blended it really well. Doubtful, so far everything they said they did, I'm finding they either just didn't look at it or lied about checking it and just checked a box by "Pass" on the inspection they claim to do.

• Sad
Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,104 Posts
I talked to the dealer today. They said they would look into it and of course will need pictures. Worth looking into at least.

As far as the repair goes, quite honestly I don't believe Carvana did anything with it. It has the metallic pearl black which is harder to blend it with the rest of the vehicle and the hood and the rest of the panels appear to be factory paint. Or Carvana knows how to do something right and blended it really well. Doubtful, so far everything they said they did, I'm finding they either just didn't look at it or lied about checking it and just checked a box by "Pass" on the inspection they claim to do.
I take CPO with a grain of salt like you said who does the inspection? What criteria do they use? Do they even look at the vehicle?
I don't even fully trust Carfax either. My old 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan was definitely in 3 accidents that I can prove, and I suspect a 4th. Yet according to Carfax had never been in an accident.

I remember an episode of Garage Rehab and they put up a sign that said something like Voted #1 Auto repair shop in the area. and the voters were only the cast of the show.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I just walked by a Grand Cherokee this afternoon that had terrible bubbling on the leading edge of the hood...

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are also experiencing issues with the paint bubbling on the hood of our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. The paint shop in town told us that the hood needs to be replaced and provided estimate but no Chrysler dealers in our area will even look at it because they said Chrysler hasn't been paying them for the work. Contacted Chrysler and they won't do anything unless a dealer diagnoses the problem. It is clearly a corrosion issue due to the design of aluminum and steel touching, but can't get them to take care of it.

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Limited "S"
341 Posts
We are also experiencing issues with the paint bubbling on the hood of our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. The paint shop in town told us that the hood needs to be replaced and provided estimate but no Chrysler dealers in our area will even look at it because they said Chrysler hasn't been paying them for the work. Contacted Chrysler and they won't do anything unless a dealer diagnoses the problem. It is clearly a corrosion issue due to the design of aluminum and steel touching, but can't get them to take care of it.
You need to find a different/better dealer then!

The process is that the dealer, or their body shop or whoever they use for body work, has to look at it & then send pictures to Chrysler to see if it gets approved or denied

461 - 480 of 511 Posts