2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Buying a 2018 PacHy in late 2019....questions

8K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  RC Mike 
#1 ·
Hey all, brand new. I've been perusing the many threads on price around here hoping to get all of my questions answered without having to post. But there are still a few things I need some clarity on.

Long story short, I'm ballin' on a budget for one and don't want to go over $32-33K. To make matters worse, I'd really like to get it with all of the safety tech AND the rear seat entertainment for my two boys AND the panoramic sunroof.

There just aren't many of them configured like that. - at any price, really - in the metro Atlanta area.

Amazingly, there is a used Limited one with 30K miles with everything I want. It's listing for around $32K. There is also a "new" 2018 Limited also configured the same around $43K, but I assume I can bargain that down with the 2020 models imminent, plus I'd be able to claim the $7500 Federal tax credit, right? (Georgia killed their state tax credit a few years back)

Are either of those good deals in your opinions? There are a couple of more new 2018s with online "dealer prices" in the $39-40K range that are 40-50 miles but neither has the sunroof and one has the drop down entertainment screen, which I don't really care for.

What do you all think?

See less See more
#4 ·
For what it's worth, I recently bought a "new" (untitled, 260 miles) 2018 Pacific Hybrid Limited with Sunroof, Safetytec package, and the Upgraded 18" wheels for $43,000 (excluding taxes and dealer fees). I was told that it would still qualify for the Federal PHEV tax credit, so final cost should be $35,500.

This was about a month ago. I checked TrueCar, and this was a little bit on the high side according to them, but I also checked KBB and Edmunds, and this was low according to them, so it's hard to say if it was a great deal or just an average deal...but the inventory of 2018's which are Hybrid, Limited, and with all of those options is running low, so I decided to just do it.

In theory, you might be able to negotiate because the 2020s are coming...but the inventory of 2018s will keep shrinking, so it's kind of a tricky game to play...unless you're willing to bend on options or color choices. Like I said, I decided to buy at the time because it was everything I wanted, including the interior/exterior colors, and the price seemed reasonable--maybe not rock-bottom, but good enough since I was getting everything I wanted.

#5 ·
I bought a new 2018 Limited Hybrid the end of June. There were probably about 20 available in the entire metro Atlanta area, and about 6 of the 2019s. Although there is a dealership 3 miles from my home in Marietta, I had to go 30 miles away to Canton to find a vehicle. I wanted all of the latest safety features which requires the Limited. You will not find much of a discount on the 2018 (maybe $2500-4500 after some serious bargaining), and probably not more than $1000 off on any 2019. I am not convinced that the dealers will be receiving the 2020s anytime soon because of Chrysler's existing fulfillment issues with the 2019s. I really wanted a 2019 because I wanted the power folding mirrors (only way it will fit in my garage), but I had to take what I could find!

#6 ·
Hey all, brand new. I've been perusing the many threads on price around here hoping to get all of my questions answered without having to post. But there are still a few things I need some clarity on.

Long story short, I'm ballin' on a budget for one and don't want to go over $32-33K. To make matters worse, I'd really like to get it with all of the safety tech AND the rear seat entertainment for my two boys AND the panoramic sunroof.

There just aren't many of them configured like that. - at any price, really - in the metro Atlanta area.

Amazingly, there is a used Limited one with 30K miles with everything I want. It's listing for around $32K. There is also a "new" 2018 Limited also configured the same around $43K, but I assume I can bargain that down with the 2020 models imminent, plus I'd be able to claim the $7500 Federal tax credit, right? (Georgia killed their state tax credit a few years back)

Are either of those good deals in your opinions? There are a couple of more new 2018s with online "dealer prices" in the $39-40K range that are 40-50 miles but neither has the sunroof and one has the drop down entertainment screen, which I don't really care for.

What do you all think?

Is your budget of $32-33K after the $7500 tax credit?

I recently bought a Hybrid Touring L for $31,499 (~$35K out the door) before tax credit. I also "wanted" the limited, sunroof and the safety tech. I searched in a 500 mile radius around Indianapolis and found several 2018 limiteds with AST, few with sunroof. The cheapest I could find with all the features was $42K. I was able to bargain that down to $41k. I saw that dealers were inclined to give more discounts on Touring L and Touring Plus models. Once I negotiated the Touring L down to $31,499, I could not justify spending another ~$9.5k for tech features. The only thing I will really miss is the adaptive cruise. I bought an ipad, headphones and a headrest tablet holder for under $300 bucks and that is my entertainment system.

My 2 cents is that since you are on a budget, find a deal that gives you the most bang for your buck. That may involve some compromises.

#9 ·
For most of 2018 I was monitoring local dealerships in my area in the northeast. Most of them had only 1 hybrid if any and they seemed to rarely sell. The first thing a salesperson would say was that it was "the last one on the lot", knowing full well that it was the ONLY hybrid on their lot. They don't sell well for a variety of factors, at least around here. So they sit. Then get lot rot. The salespeople lie about it. It creates a false sense of demand. If it does get sold they order just 1 more.

The one I purchased from said it was their first hybrid sold, which I believe from monitoring their website, and their last hybrid on the lot, go figure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: mikah912
#10 · (Edited)
For most of 2018 I was monitoring local dealerships in my area in the northeast. Most of them had only 1 hybrid if any and they seemed to rarely sell.
Plug in hybrids/EVs are harder to sell in the NE since your electricity costs are more than $0.20 per kWh. That's almost the same price as gasoline for the PacHy. It's good if you have free charging at work.

Anyone in an area where gas prices is cheaper than electricity?

#11 ·
I purchased a 2018 Touring-L in Houston last weekend; got it for $33k drive-out. The $3500 that FCA is chipping in right now was helpful, too. I looked at some Limiteds, including some equipped like you're describing. The best I was able to find was ~$40k for a Limited w/ Safety Tec, Rear Theater and Harmon Kardon. No pano roof. It was about 70 miles away from the Houston metro area.

Best I could find one w/ sunroof was $43k firm. That's still nearly $8k off sticker.

If I hadn't gotten such a sweetheart deal on the Touring (and my wife didn't really want the Rear Theater), I would've gotten that Limited.

#16 ·
Just to share recent 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchase info. Sounds similar to a few earlier posts, but here's what I paid:

2018 (new) with 19 miles,
Granite Color Pacifica Limited with all features except sunroof
$48,155 MSRP on sticker
Paid Dealer $43,000 (plus taxes and fees, minus decent trade-in),
Dealer drove it entire length of Florida to deliver, so I got my money's worth out of the "Destination Fee," :wink2:
Deloitte confirmed it's eligible for $7500 tax credit b/c new purchase, despite 2018 model year, which was HUGE buying factor.

Very happy with Pacifica's ride, mileage, comfort, and incredible features.

Over 500 miles and first tank is still 4/5th full. 34 mile range fits our driving style very well.

Local, free chargers reasonably available, but I also installed a Level 2 home charger. Suggestion would be to get one that has 32AMPs (or more, the Pacifica will limit the amount if it's "too strong") and plugs into a NEMA 14-50 outlet (have an electrician instal the NEMA outlet if there's not one already installed at your house). A 32A or higher charges the Pacifica from empty to full in just over hours, which is as good an any of the Tesla or J1772 free destination chargers I've encountered. (Bought a TeslaTap because Tesla destination chargers are 2-1 over J1772 in my area. Not affiliated with this company in anyway, but here's his link for TeslaTap. If considering, buy this one, not the sleeker looking one because this one is more compatible with Pacifica.)

I purchased two Level 2 chargers. JuiceBox Pro 40 is the home charger (but could technically be portable). More than the Pacifica needs but ready for the next car to also be a PHEV or EV. Other is a Mustart TravelMaster portable charger available on Amazon. My version has multiple plug types. Came with standard 3-prong for slow Level 1 charging anywhere, but also has a NEMA 14-50 that plugs into many dryers, high amp outlets, etc. and also allows me to use the TeslaTap. They offer a bunch of different plugs. I keep this one the Pacifica. It acts as 120 Level on charger, 14-50 Level 2 Charger, and Tesla with 25 foot extension Level 2 charging...

Again, I'm not related to any of these products but did spend some time selecting these and have been pleased. Hope it's helpful. Very new to this forum - Had to remove the links because of low posting history....Good luck Googling.

#17 ·
(Bought a TeslaTap because Tesla destination chargers are 2-1 over J1772 in my area. Not affiliated with this company in anyway, but here's his link for TeslaTap. If considering, buy this one, not the sleeker looking one because this one is more compatible with Pacifica.)
I'm just wondering why you decided to buy a TeslaTap?

To me, the ROI would probably never pay for itself. The beauty of a plug-in hybrid is you can just fill up with gas in 5 minutes and drive another 400+ miles.

#19 ·
I had to look all over and I just agreed to buy a 2018 Limited with sunroof for about $42k. Is this fair? Guys were holding the line pretty tight and then agreed suspiciously quickly when I gave them a price I could be good at. As far as I can tell from what I'm reading this is a fair price but I'm now nervous given how quickly they agreed. For the record the vehicle I'm getting has been used as a loaner so it has about 2k miles on it already. I'm trying to validate it will still qualify for the tax credits and such.

Any thoughts - other than my poor negotiating skills for naming my own price? Also, has anyone had success, or failure, claiming the tax credit for a vehicle that has never been titled but has some mileage on it already?

Thank you
Mike

#21 ·
break it down by-

MSRP
Dealer Discount
Factory Rebates
Dealer fees
Dealer add-ons

TTL are sunk costs so don't worry about those. If you are financing also consider your interest rate if you do not plan to refinance. If you plan to refinance and there is no-

pre-pay limitation, and
pre-pay fee

then your interest rate for dealer financing isn't as relevant

#23 ·
Hi guys. Thanks for setting back so fast. Here are the details:

MSRP - 47,985 (Limited + sunroof + electronics with upgraded stero, dvd player, etc., includes destination charge)

Dealer discount - 2,485
Incentives - 3,500
Net - $42k

They are saying they've never titled the car and are selling as new. Said they just used it as a demo. I'm driving out tomorrow or Wed to pick it up so I have a bit of time to process all this.

#24 ·
[/QUOTE]
Net - $42k

They are saying they've never titled the car and are selling as new. Said they just used it as a demo. I'm driving out tomorrow or Wed to pick it up so I have a bit of time to process all this.[/QUOTE]

I bought one last month with 27k miles for $30k even. Just had to wait 2-3 months for the right deal to fall and then pounce quick. It's in perfect condition.
I'm in Florida but bought in Alabama. Prices vary regionally slightly. Hope this helps.

#26 · (Edited)
I bought one last month with 27k miles for $30k even. Just had to wait 2-3 months for the right deal to fall and then pounce quick. It's in perfect condition.
I'm in Florida but bought in Alabama. Prices vary regionally slightly. Hope this helps.
I'm thinking of buying out of state too. What was that process like? If you don't mind sharing, that is.

#30 · (Edited)
Just closed the deal on my new 2018 Pachy Limited. Possible I could have worked for a better deal but the numbers made sense to me especially with the $7500 tax credit.

Options: 20 speaker audio, Advanced safety tec, UConnect Theater, Keysense, 18" Polished wheels

MSRP(includes destination): $48,280
Dealer Discount: $6,030
Factory Rebates: $2,500
Sales Price: $39,750
Dealer fees: $99

#31 ·
Appreciative of ya'lls input here. I just purchased a 2018 Touring Plus here in TX for $32,500. This seemed like a good discount from the 2019 hybrid models, but still put it close in price to the 2019 non-hybrid models. They were willing to deliver it to me about 200 Miles, but this was a double edged sword because I felt like I needed to pull the trigger without spending much time around it or negotiating much. They also had a Touring L model with more features, but I couldn't swing the price difference. I'm hoping for the $7,500 tax credit as well to help me pay down my loan. With the tax credit and the patience of waiting to pick up last year's model as new, I feel like this is a better ROI than the non-hybrid, particularly due to the warranty. Another thing that I would point out (to encourage adoption and maintain resale values).....The A/C system works great on electricity while the car is charging. If someone removed the middle seats and wanted to turn the van into a sort-of camper and charge at parks, they would have a very comfortable night without using a bit of gas.

#32 ·
. Another thing that I would point out (to encourage adoption and maintain resale values).....The A/C system works great on electricity while the car is charging. If someone removed the middle seats and wanted to turn the van into a sort-of camper and charge at parks, they would have a very comfortable night without using a bit of gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.