2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

It can be really tough to make an educated decision on a new car....it seems like the forums for any vehicle are crowded with people posting about their problems while the average happy customer never signs in to participate.

My question for you is....Hybrid or Regular Pacifica?

I am a bit nervous about the quantity of Hybrids sold in relation to the non hybrid. So dealers and mechanics have less experience with the hybrid version.

I keep my cars for well over 100,000 miles. Knowing that, would you hybrid owners recommend the hybrid to someone like myself who plans on keeping it for a decade or would you recommend the non hybrid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought the hybrid new a little over a month ago and love it. I had an electric car for 2.5 years and it was great but my lifestyle changed and I needed range again. The hybrid van means my daily commute to work burns next to no gas but a 7 hour road trip is still no problem in a comfy ride.

Also, I save almost $7K Canadian over the last 2.5 years on gas and maintenance on that car. Sure a hybrid is going to cost more for maintenance but still very little gas. On top of that, despite a lot of KMs, my depreciation wasn't bad because newer used electrics are in high demand. I'm hoping a hybrid minivan will be in a similar situation when I go to trade in one day because there won't be many of them yet.

And now is a good time in my eyes because if you do keep it for a very long time, battery tech is coming down quickly in price so by the time we need replacement batteries if you still have it, they should be reasonably priced.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I plan on keeping mine over a decade. So far so good! My husband has an EV but my Pacifica is our road-trip vehicle and I love the features and fuel efficiency. (FYI, my last Chrysler minivan lasted 15 yrs.)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Knowing that, would you hybrid owners recommend the hybrid to someone like myself who plans on keeping it for a decade or would you recommend the non hybrid?

Thanks!
I'm just over 2 years into owning mine, 27k miles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the hybrid again.

It's been a fantastic experience. I've been on several small road trips (1k miles or less) and one large one (15 days, 4.7k miles). It was fantastic for all. We run nearly all electric, as we have always had an EVSE at work (until this week, my company assigned me to a ramp without an EVSE).

This is our daily driver. My wife and I carpool to work in it. I went over 4 months last summer/fall without having to buy gas.

Yes, there was a recall. Chrysler made it more than right for me. $2k in cash, rented me a van for 2 months, and gave me a maxcare warranty.

My first warranty repair will be this week, replacing the left front door handle due to water intrusion. It's making the keyless entry go bonkers. I also have some galvanic corrision on the hood which is in the process of being approved through Chrysler. That is an unfortunately all too common problem for aluminum panels from many manufacturers, although I think Ford may be most famous for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own my 2019 PacHY since oct.31th and I didnt regret it even a new 5k$ rebate where available for electric vehicule sold after may 1st in Canada....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't feel low quality is why sales have been low; Chrysler makes much less profit on Hybrids, which is why dealers don't stock or sell them as much. They have a real perception/customer buy-in issue regarding this hybrid, to the point that they don't even really advertise it as a plug-in. Shifting market winds show that EVs are on the rise, and FCA themselves will be aggressively rolling out PHEV Jeeps in the next two years - expect this technology to last.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2018 PacHy. Received Oct 2017. I've put 35,000+ miles. Outside of 2 software recalls it's been great. Never a problem. Love it. Average 38 to 45 MPG. $9500. in rebates ( California )

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm with you kj1200, very nervous about the PacHy from reading these forums, but I bought a new 2018 off the lot 2 days ago anyway. So far so good. But it's hard not to read about issues and feel that they are much more prevalent than in reality. Go with the hybrid, and best of luck to you!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm with you kj1200, very nervous about the PacHy from reading these forums,
You gotta remember, forums aren't a random samping. People with problems will look for a place to talk about them. People without problems are largely out living their lives. I don't come here creating "everything is going fine!" posts, nor does anyone else. Toyota, Honda, or any other manufacturer will have the same thing on dedicated forums. The complaints are concentrated.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You gotta remember, forums aren't a random sampling. People with problems will look for a place to talk about them. People without problems are largely out living their lives. I don't come here creating "everything is going fine!" posts, nor does anyone else. Toyota, Honda, or any other manufacturer will have the same thing on dedicated forums. The complaints are concentrated.
You are absolutely correct about product forums not being a random sampling.

As only about 5% of Pacificas are hybrids, it appears that this forum is not a random sampling of gas vs. hybrid ownership either. My guess is that there are two reasons for this. One, the plug-in hybrid is new technology, and owners have more questions and are experiencing more issues. Two, many hybrid buyers tend to be active advocates for this technology, and like to gather with others of like mind.

When deciding on which Pacifica to buy, you have to decide what is important to you. The Chrysler minivans for years have had the versatility (and middle seat comfort downgrade) of the Stow 'n Go seats. That often was the main reason for buying one. That versatility is sacrificed in the hybrid. You also lose the ability to tow a trailer (as per Chrysler, but some do it anyway). By buying the hybrid, you save fuel costs (and you get to pick my pockets for the government bribe! :) ) You also get bragging rights for saving the planet. 0:)

·
Registered
466 Posts
many hybrid buyers tend to be active advocates for this technology, and like to gather with others of like mind.
I believe you are 100% spot on here.

The Chrysler minivans for years have had the versatility (and middle seat comfort downgrade) of the Stow 'n Go seats. That often was the main reason for buying one. That versatility is sacrificed in the hybrid.
The hybrid middle seats are very nice since they don't stow and go. Someday mine won't be covered with car seats and we'll be able to use them. :)

You also get bragging rights for saving the planet.
Agreed. I honestly felt a responsibility when picking my van to get the electric hybrid for this very reason. I felt that as a fan of electric vehicles and a person who must do what I can to be environmentally aware, this was something I should buy. This segment will grow the most by those of us that can purchase one doing so. I believe that electric vehicles need to replace gassers as quickly as they reasonably can. We all help this happen by advocating for these stepping stones right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You are absolutely correct about product forums not being a random sampling.

As only about 5% of Pacificas are hybrids, it appears that this forum is not a random sampling of gas vs. hybrid ownership either. My guess is that there are two reasons for this. One, the plug-in hybrid is new technology, and owners have more questions and are experiencing more issues. Two, many hybrid buyers tend to be active advocates for this technology, and like to gather with others of like mind.

When deciding on which Pacifica to buy, you have to decide what is important to you. The Chrysler minivans for years have had the versatility (and middle seat comfort downgrade) of the Stow 'n Go seats. That often was the main reason for buying one. That versatility is sacrificed in the hybrid. You also lose the ability to tow a trailer (as per Chrysler, but some do it anyway). By buying the hybrid, you save fuel costs (and you get to pick my pockets for the government bribe! :) ) You also get bragging rights for saving the planet. 0:)
I'm in the process of purchasing a hybrid instead of a gasser and my reasons are:

1. The government bribe makes a Limited Hybrid cost comparable to the lower-trim gasser model we would buy.
2. In the past 9 years, there are only 4 times we would have needed to stow/remove the middle seats, so stow n' go second row just isn't a feature we would use much.
3. My wife can charge at work, so she should be able to drive full electric on a daily basis and will save tons of time not going to the gas station.
4. Fewer trips to the gas station, oil changes at 10K and less use on brake pads will also save some money over the long term.
5. We don't foresee needing 8 seats (frequently 6, sometimes 7).
6. The HOV sticker will cut about 5 minutes off my wife's commute (each way).

·
Registered
83 Posts
The hybrid middle seats are very nice since they don't stow and go. Someday mine won't be covered with car seats and we'll be able to use them. :)
Tell me about it. Every time I strap the kiddos into the second row seats, I take an envious look at the Uconnect Theater, the pano sunroof and all that room. Car seats rule that row, then boosters...we're years away from me enjoying those seats :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve had our 2018 over a year, 13500 miles with no problems. A couple of recalls is all. I have 1400 miles with half a tank of gas remaining. Been over 2 months since I filled gas tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the posts. We are leaning towards the hybrid. We currently have an older van that is perfectly reliable. The plan is to keep an eye on inventory / incentives and to jump when we find something we like.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thanks for all the posts. We are leaning towards the hybrid. We currently have an older van that is perfectly reliable. The plan is to keep an eye on inventory / incentives and to jump when we find something we like.
I'd be inclined to wait until everyone is sure this problem is fixed. Just because a recall was performed, does not mean the underlying cause was totally addressed. Fires like this turn the batteries into infernos. It's a good thing that van was in the driveway.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's the way to do it; wait for the right opportunity, then go for it.

Lack of Stow 'n Go seating and towing are the two biggest detriments to the PacHy. And even the non-Stow 'n Go seating has benefits since the Stow 'n Go seats are definitely less comfortable than the heavier, removable ones, which can be important for transporting full-size humans for any distance.

OTOH, the PacHy gets the same (or slightly worse) highway fuel mileage since it has to lug along a 600 pound battery that the gasser does not. If long trips are going to be the rule, rather than the exception, a gasser is probably a better choice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just because a recall was performed, does not mean the underlying cause was totally addressed. Fires like this turn the batteries into infernos. It's a good thing that van was in the driveway.[/QUOTE]

After month of search and daily tilts between PacHy and Odyssey I had finally decided to buy PacHy and was/am going to do it tomorrow.
But now this post puts another question mark in my mind :(:(:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Satisfied PacHy customer

I have had my 2017 Hybrid since Sept 2017 (one of the first to show up in my area after the stop shipment issues) in the summer of that year. I'm at 21,000 miles and have had virtually no problems. Last month, I got 800 miles on 10 gallons of gas. As far as regular vs hybrid, I feel like I've seen more issues on this forum with the regular than with the hybrid. I have always bought cars new and kept them for 10 or more years (last one was 14 years), and yes, I expect to keep this hybrid going for a long time. I feel comfortable that the mechanics at my large local dealership in a large metropolitan area get adequate training to service my vehicle. Mechanic training on the new technology was actually one of the first things I asked about at the dealerships I visited before I bought. The lengthy warranty on the high voltage battery also helped with my comfort level.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
27 Participants
Iain McClatchie
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing