2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'd be inclined to wait until everyone is sure this problem is fixed. Just because a recall was performed, does not mean the underlying cause was totally addressed. Fires like this turn the batteries into infernos. It's a good thing that van was in the driveway.
But to be fair, did you ask yourself these questions before you purchased your other vehicles:

How many gas Pacificas, Jeep Cherokee Latitudes, Odysseys, Mazda MPVs Accords, etc. have caught fire and burnt to the ground?

Did you wait for any and all of those issues to be resolved before you purchased?

Just asking....

·
Registered
935 Posts
But to be fair, did you ask yourself these questions before you purchased your other vehicles:

How many gas Pacificas, Jeep Cherokee Latitudes, Odysseys, Mazda MPVs Accords, etc. have caught fire and burnt to the ground?

Did you wait for any and all of those issues to be resolved before you purchased?

Just asking....
None, that I am aware, of those vehicles caught fire for a specific recall defect, while parked in or next to a residence. That defect is a spontaneous combustion issue.

There is no parallel situation here. Of my previous cars you cited, The Cherokee had a couple of recalls performed for the jerky ZF transmission, and the Accord had an extended warranty applied for transmission failure. None had the situation that the Pacifica hybrid presents.

My educated guess is that the tech used to make the Pachy work will change drastically in the coming few years. If that's the case, the government transfer of funds between citizens will seem paltry compared to the depreciation current buyers will experience. I'm not sold on plug-in hybrids. Regular hybrids, sure, and pure electric is probably the future. Kludge tech hardly ever makes sense.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The above is nothing but unsupported FUD.

I don’t even know what you are saying but as suggested by the previous poster, I haven’t heard of a situation like this before where a hybrid vehicle spontaneously burnt into flames (of course compounded by the fuel at some point).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fear, uncertainty, and doubt. It’s his unsubstantiated, unsupported opinion being presented as fact, with the intention of altering another person’s choices. It’s not classy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don’t even know what you are saying but as suggested by the previous poster, I haven’t heard of a situation like this before where a hybrid vehicle spontaneously burnt into flames (of course compounded by the fuel at some point).

Google Fisker Karma.

·
Registered
400 Posts
None, that I am aware, of those vehicles caught fire for a specific recall defect, while parked in or next to a residence. That defect is a spontaneous combustion issue.

There is no parallel situation here. Of my previous cars you cited, The Cherokee had a couple of recalls performed for the jerky ZF transmission, and the Accord had an extended warranty applied for transmission failure. None had the situation that the Pacifica hybrid presents.

My educated guess is that the tech used to make the Pachy work will change drastically in the coming few years. If that's the case, the government transfer of funds between citizens will seem paltry compared to the depreciation current buyers will experience. I'm not sold on plug-in hybrids. Regular hybrids, sure, and pure electric is probably the future. Kludge tech hardly ever makes sense.
Of course it’s just supposition at this point, right? We have no idea what caused the fire.

·
Registered
466 Posts

Do you have any evidence that the fire was a result of this being a hybrid vehicle?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for that information.
oops..... that was a really unlucky automaker.
I vaguely recall an early Volt catching fire, too, but it had been in an accident where the battery had been damaged and was sitting for a week or two when it finally erupted. Seems like there were reports of a few Prius PHEVs that had been flood damaged and smoldered, too.

But, aside from the Fisker, I don't think there's been any EV with an even remote reputation for simply catching fire without some external causation. Considering the sophistication and relatively recent technology, they've got a pretty good record in that regard.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Do you have any evidence that the fire was a result of this being a hybrid vehicle?
I don't need "evidence". This isn't a court of law. Chrysler has issued a recall (of hybrids) related to this. That's good enough for me to assume that it likely was the problem Chrysler is addressing. The recall is a software fix, and replacement of the catalytic converter if it has been damaged. That damage would have been caused by pumping raw fuel into the exhaust system, the actual cause of the fires.

I need to consider my family's safety so I use some simple logic. At least two hybrids spontaneously catching fire have been reported on this forum. Hybrids are only about 5% of Pacifica sales. There are likely others not reported here.

There have been many instances of software fixes not addressing the whole problem so I'm not going to trust this fix immediately. If someone posting here asks about choosing between a gas only or hybrid Pacifica, I'm certainly going to tell them about this recently revealed safety problem.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm certainly going to tell them about this recently revealed safety problem.
FUD then. There isn't a "recently revealed safety problem". You don't know what caused these fires. You certainly don't know that they spontaneously caught fire. They could have been caused by any number of things.

You are assuming the cause with no evidence. That's not logic, that's called guessing. They are different things.

"This isn't a court of law...." Ah, the mating call of the Twitterbooking Kneejerker. Known for it's red face, high blood pressure, and loud cawing of unsubstantiated claims. The females are known as a "Karen", and can often be heard asking for managers.

edit: Just for fun, let's look at some numbers. You state PacHy's account for 5% of sales. Chrysler has sold 164,391 Pacificas since May '17, when deliveries began in earnest. (link) If 5% of those are PacHy's, then that's 8,219 of these in the wild. We know of 3 or 4 fires with unknown origins. Let's round that way up to 10, heck, let's do 20. 5 times as many as we know about. That means 99.75% of all PacHy's are unburnt and doing fine. I don't think we need to call Paul Revere and have him ride through the countryside yelling "The fires are coming!" just yet.

I'm fairly comfortable parking mine in the garage every night at those odds.

·
Registered
935 Posts
FUD then. There isn't a "recently revealed safety problem".

(snip)

I'm fairly comfortable parking mine in the garage every night at those odds.
The official recall is a recently revealed (by Chrysler and NHTSA) safety problem. Park it where you wish.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Google Ford garage fire. None of those were hybrids. Google BMW fire, none of those were hybrids.

Its easy to be hyper sensitive to ev/hybrid fires because the media only picks those out to report. Media bias? Probably.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
A hybrid has all the components of a gas car. It can burn for the same reason as any other vehicle.

Hybrids are sold here for over 20 years. The tech is well established, the only major change was the introduction of Li-ion batteries. Their capacity allowed to add the plugin capability. I doubt that plugins will suffer from rapid depreciation. The old NiCad based Priuses hold their prices quite well, even now when gas isn't that expensive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just filled out the JD Power survey on our 2019 and the only ding I gave it was that the charging door doesn't always stay closed. Not bad for as complex as these vehicles are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased my 2019 Pacifica. I went with a gas version over the hybrid. My thinking was,

1. We have no place to plug in. (I live in a condominium with no way to run a cord.)

2. 84 mpg is under ideal conditions. We live in a less than perfect world. (Pacifica hybrid drivers comment that they are (averaging) 31 mpg.) If you drive less than 30 miles per day you MIGHT do better.

3. The gas Pacifica gets 25 mpg highway. (Really!) and we do a lot of travelling. I am currently getting 15 mpg city. (I'm a little bit of a leadfoot in city driving but set it on cruise control for highway) :/

4. The hybrid Pacifica costs $10k more out the door. How long before the cost justification makes the hybrid version a better choice?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just purchased my 2019 Pacifica. I went with a gas version over the hybrid. My thinking was,

1. We have no place to plug in. (I live in a condominium with no way to run a cord.)
That's a pretty good reason to decide not to buy a PHEV. If I lived in a condo and had no access to electricity I probably wouldn't buy one either.

2. 84 mpg is under ideal conditions. We live in a less than perfect world. (Pacifica hybrid drivers comment that they are (averaging) 31 mpg.) If you drive less than 30 miles per day you MIGHT do better.
The 84 MPGe on electric only and the 32 MPG hybrid numbers may have been calculated under ideal conditions but I can assure you it's not hard to get very close to either. When I drive electric-only I can regularly get between 80 and 100 MPGe easily. When I drive on the highway I average around 30 MPG but it will vary between maybe 28 and 32 depending a lot upon which way the wind is blowing.

I just ran out to the garage and took a photo which shows my current MPGe. I drove the van on a long trip last Thursday and I reset the MPG calculator after the trip. So this represents about a week's worth of driving around town in all-electric mode. (See photo below)

3. The gas Pacifica gets 25 mpg highway. (Really!) and we do a lot of travelling. I am currently getting 15 mpg city. (I'm a little bit of a leadfoot in city driving but set it on cruise control for highway) :/
Those are good numbers. I own a 2002 Honda Odyssey and put 312k miles on it over the years and the gas Pacifica has similar EPA estimates (18 city as opposed to 19 for Pacifica, 25 hwy as opposed to 28 for Pacifica). In the real world, the Odyssey averaged pretty much identical to your Pacifica (15/25).

If you are getting 15 MPG city then you are paying roughly 18 cents a mile for fuel based upon gas being about $2.70 per gallon. When I get 86 MPGe in the PacHy I am paying roughly 3.3 cents per mile. That's calculated using a gallon of gas equivalent (33 kWh) and based upon paying 8 cents per kWh for electricity (which is what I pay including all taxes, fees, etc.)

4. The hybrid Pacifica costs $10k more out the door. How long before the cost justification makes the hybrid version a better choice?
Don't forget that at least for now, anyone who buys a PacHy can get a $7,500 tax credit which brings the 'real' price down to a level that is much closer to that of a gas Pacifica.

I'm not knocking your decision to buy a gas Pacifica. You had good reason to do so but just putting some of your statements in perspective.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
27 Participants
Iain McClatchie
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing