2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just purchased my 2019 Pacifica. I went with a gas version over the hybrid. My thinking was,

1. We have no place to plug in. (I live in a condominium with no way to run a cord.)

2. 84 mpg is under ideal conditions. We live in a less than perfect world. (Pacifica hybrid drivers comment that they are (averaging) 31 mpg.) If you drive less than 30 miles per day you MIGHT do better.

3. The gas Pacifica gets 25 mpg highway. (Really!) and we do a lot of travelling. I am currently getting 15 mpg city. (I'm a little bit of a leadfoot in city driving but set it on cruise control for highway) :/

4. The hybrid Pacifica costs $10k more out the door. How long before the cost justification makes the hybrid version a better choice?
I averaged 32 mpg on a 4,400 mile road trip last summer, with no plugging in the entire time. That's mostly highway time. It does much better in town due to regenerative braking. It does cost $10k more, but I got a $7,500 rebate that I think is still going. That makes it only $2,500 more. You got a great van either way. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have decided to get a hybrid. We have already negotiated all terms with the dealership and will be driving 4 hours to pick up a brand new 2018 this Saturday. They agreed to replace the 12 volt battery with a new one per my request. Is there anything else I should ask for due to the unique nature of purchasing a new vehicle that is almost two years old? An oil change perhaps due to how old the oil and filter are? I checked the VIN and there are no outstanding recalls on it. I hope this proves to be reliable for years to come.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have decided to get a hybrid. We have already negotiated all terms with the dealership and will be driving 4 hours to pick up a brand new 2018 this Saturday. They agreed to replace the 12 volt battery with a new one per my request. Is there anything else I should ask for due to the unique nature of purchasing a new vehicle that is almost two years old? An oil change perhaps due to how old the oil and filter are? I checked the VIN and there are no outstanding recalls on it. I hope this proves to be reliable for years to come.
The oil change should be done if the production date is 1 year ago or more. The oil should be changed at least yearly on our engines regardless of use to renew the anti corrosion additives that fade as they are used.

I love the van, hope you do too!

I recommend you drive it for the first tank with no charging to facilitate the powertrain break-in. It is in the owners manual that it should get a break-in period. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The oil change should be done if the production date is 1 year ago or more. The oil should be changed at least yearly on our engines regardless of use to renew the anti corrosion additives that fade as they are used.

I love the van, hope you do too!

I recommend you drive it for the first tank with no charging to facilitate the powertrain break-in. It is in the owners manual that it should get a break-in period. Enjoy!
Thanks for the heads up! I will inquire and make sure the oil has been changed at some point in the past year. I will be driving it about 250 miles to get back home from the dealership which should help break it in....I will make sure to drive at different RPM's and to give it moderate throttle at times during this trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same boat looking at 2018's. Most of the Limiteds for that year have been sold, so we're left looking at Touring L's. We've come across several that have been on the lot since October 2017! That's almost two years now languishing on the dealer lot and I have little confidence they've been maintaining these batteries. I'll definitely insist on a new 12v battery and oil change should we end up buying one.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm in the same boat looking at 2018's. Most of the Limiteds for that year have been sold, so we're left looking at Touring L's. We've come across several that have been on the lot since October 2017! That's almost two years now languishing on the dealer lot and I have little confidence they've been maintaining these batteries. I'll definitely insist on a new 12v battery and oil change should we end up buying one.
The 12v will almost surely be toast. But the Lithium battery State Of Health (SOH) can be read out of the BPCM.

Replacement is generally 70% SOH remaining.. My factory ordered (and never abused by me) HV Battery SOH was 89.8% after 1 year of use, and 8month later it was 89.4%.. at 0.4% every 8months it will never reach 70% in my ownership. But these these things are not linear because they are usage/habit based.

A second way to consider it that they don’t “fix” these HV batteries should it fail prematurely.. so you’d get a new or like new battery in the warranty lifetime if the storage has damaged it; and wont have to sweat it failing on your dime.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine gets delivered tomorrow!!
Here’s hoping the hybrid is everything I would like!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought a 2019 PacHy and the dealer installed tow hitch on request...although it IS very limited weight capacity it more than accommodates my little 2006 Honda Insight Hybrid😄😄😄

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wtf

You’re joking, right?
Ok. No. I was serious....however...update....after the purchase Thursday the paperwork wasnt done until after 4pm so the order for the tow package didn’t go in until Friday ...overnighted part..so Saturday was supposed to be delivered...NOPE

Sales manager called and said..umm..the Hybrid isn’t really SUPPOSED to have a tow package...so...yeah:|:frown2::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all!

It can be really tough to make an educated decision on a new car....it seems like the forums for any vehicle are crowded with people posting about their problems while the average happy customer never signs in to participate.

My question for you is....Hybrid or Regular Pacifica?

I am a bit nervous about the quantity of Hybrids sold in relation to the non hybrid. So dealers and mechanics have less experience with the hybrid version.

I keep my cars for well over 100,000 miles. Knowing that, would you hybrid owners recommend the hybrid to someone like myself who plans on keeping it for a decade or would you recommend the non hybrid?

Thanks!
I am now much more concerned about the two fried frames that resulted from exploding and burning Pacificas...anyone??

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ok. No. I was serious....however...update....after the purchase Thursday the paperwork wasnt done until after 4pm so the order for the tow package didn’t go in until Friday ...overnighted part..so Saturday was supposed to be delivered...NOPE

Sales manager called and said..umm..the Hybrid isn’t really SUPPOSED to have a tow package...so...yeah:|:frown2::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
It’s not rated for any kind of towing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Funny, I just bought my 2018 Pachy yesterday and discovered this thread today. It has zero impact on my state of mind regarding whether we made the right decision. Guess I may just be an optimist. Or maybe it might be that FUD is just that. I think FUD abounds when people make up their own mind to justify their own frustrations and fears. There's little reason or logic to that approach.

Anyhow, I'm impressed by those here calling out the FUD for what it is, instead of running to grab your pitchforks! My off-the-cuff first impression is smart people buy Pachy's. Every vehicle has issues, and can burn, crash, work perfectly for years, or start having electrical gremlins the moment you drive it away from the dealership. My driver side window stopped working before we left the dealer parking lot with only 31 miles on the odometer. But did I roast the salesperson? Of course not. Instead we talked about the fact that it worked on the test drive and they had just washed the windows with them rolled halfway down to get the upper portion crystal clear. The person doing the washing may have been overzealous in their efforts to make it perfect. A bit of water may have made it's way inside. After an hours drive in warm weather the window starting working again. Or this could not be water intrusion related and something is really wrong with the power window motor, switch or something else. That's why I have a warranty, no big deal, sh** happens, no vehicle is perfect, not even my Toyota.

So what do I think about the OP's concern that Pachy's catch fire sitting in their driveway? Here's a thought, what if they ran over a curb or other road debris and caused damage to the lithium ion battery? Maybe the person believes they didn't do that, but it could be possible that their significant other, or teenage son, or that friend they loaned it to for a quick drive to the market actually did tag it on something and is afraid to let them know what they did. And now that their issue is being investigated and lawsuits are possible the chance of someone fessing up is just about zero. So let's not rush to judgement just yet, let's see if the investigators can identify the source before we jump to conclusions. Maybe it isn't FCA but rather the battery manufacturer LG Chem who is at fault. I wouldn't even rush to blame FCA for that unless they cut costs and ignored safety in selecting their battery supplier.

OP, if the vehicle is the perfect match to meet your needs, like it is for mine, then I would not hesitate. There's only one minivan on the market in this price range that gets these amazing mpg numbers, so for my intended use the choice is simple. If you want a hot deal on a 2018 you'd better move quickly, there aren't many left and the discounts are huge. If we get proof that it is FCA's fault then I'll support a mob. But we should hold off on judging until the facts are cleared up without a reasonable doubt.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I will inquire and make sure the oil has been changed at some point in the past year. I will be driving it about 250 miles to get back home from the dealership which should help break it in....I will make sure to drive at different RPM's and to give it moderate throttle at times during this trip.
Just something to keep in mind. You really have no direct control over how the gas engine runs. Changing throttle position doesn’t necessarily affect the RPMs of the engine. In fact, I would guess that the engine in the PacHy runs in a much narrower RPM range (and is thus tuned specifically for that) than a regular van.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I own a 2018 PacHy Platinum with 37k miles. We like it and would buy again in a heatbeat.

I recently rented a regular Pacifica while on a trip. The difference was quite noticeable. In the PacHy, part-throttle response is super fast, as the electric motors produce torque instantly. Full-throttle response is about the same as the regular Pacifica, as the engine has to spin up, but it's smoother as you don't have the thrust disturbances from shifting. The PacHy handles better, perhaps because the center of gravity is lower. The PacHy weighs more, so you'd think that would make it handle worse, but nope, it's better.

The PacHy is quieter. This might be the Platinum that I have vs the regular trim level that I rented, but I don't think they made any changes to the sound insulation. We found it harder to talk front seat to back seat in the regular Pacifica.

For our driving pattern, the PacHy costs about half as much on electricity as it does on gas. On average it costs (gas+electricity) a third as much to drive per mile as my BMW 330i, which is absurd.

I would say the main advantage is the driving feel, it's just more luxurious than an ICE-only vehicle. The reduced operating cost is nice, but takes three years or so to pay off the added initial cost. I like that we mainly use electricity which is all domestically produced, rather than gas which, even though the U.S. exports, still enriches countries like Saudi Arabia and Russia which have interests inimicable to ours.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
27 Participants
Iain McClatchie
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing