2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hearing very annoying buzzing pulse inside the cabin - exact location between the second row seats.

Steps to reproduce:
Turn ignition on, put vehicle in drive mode, drive safely until it switches from battery to gasoline engine. This is enough to trigger the buzzing pulse I am talking about.
Now bring car to complete stop - this will automatically stop the engine with car iginition still on. I am hearing a clear and annoying buzzing pulse inside the cabin (also audible outside).

If you are also hearing this, do you know what this noise is? This is super annoying inside the cabin.

If car run 100% on the battery, I don't hear this noise.
When car turns on (its on battery) and hence I dont hear this noise right away.
If is run ignitioin cycle (with this noise audible before turning off), turning it off and turning it on again (its only uses battery) makes this noise go away, but as soon as it switch to gasoline engine, noise is back.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The only thing in that location that makes that kind of noise is the air pump that tests the vapor seal on the fuel tank. It runs the test periodically, often when the car is turned off. Try leaving the car on and see if it stops eventually. Maybe it just hasn't had a chance to finish the test.

Also, about nomenclature: to me the "main battery" is the high voltage battery underneath the second row seats. The battery above the left rear tire is the 12 volt battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing in that location that makes that kind of noise is the air pump that tests the vapor seal on the fuel tank. It runs the test periodically, often when the car is turned off. Try leaving the car on and see if it stops eventually. Maybe it just hasn't had a chance to finish the test.

Also, about nomenclature: to me the "main battery" is the high voltage battery underneath the second row seats. The battery above the left rear tire is the 12 volt battery.
Thanks for your input. I was trying to find if anyone else is seeing this issue - to see if this is normal or not.

Noise when its testing is OK, but its consistent everytime if you follow the steps to reproduce.

Also, I called it main battery (12V Battery) because thats what dealership and manufacturer referred when I called them. So not sure what is it called officially, but that's not the point of this thread. But its good to clarify - that by main battery I meant 12 V battery.

I went to dealership to check what's going on and they just tried to sell their stupid reasons without trying to fix this noise, (may be to avoid working on this car).

Reason #1 - sound coming out of exhaust.
Why this is fake reason - because this CAR is hybrid it turns the gasoline engine off when car is stationary, unless it need power to run the HVAC. And even when engine is off - I hear this noise

Reason #2 - this sound is for safety of pedestrian, if you are driving car for less than 20 miles
Why this is fake reason - because if this is for pedestrian safety, pedestrian are most vulnerable when car is running fully on battery. But it does not make this noise when turning on car with enough charge left in battery to run (drive) car and as long as car is running on battery.

3 service advisor trying to convince me with above ideas, so I asked for technician, to know more details - but they denied telling me that their technician is super busy. So I asked for an (10 mins) appointment with technician. And advisor went to ask his "manager", and came back with response that sorry we cant get technician speak to customer.

Dealership that is trying to sell me this fake reasons to avoid working on this car is none other than Mac Haik Doge Chrysler Ram Jeep in Georgetown, TX. They have ridiculous system to service vehicle - so called very efficient and self claimed best service in market - total work on car is 2 hours and they held my car for 4 days - even if I had called them to get an appointment to work on this car.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Clearly the service advisor is not familiar with the hybrid version of the Pacifica and is making things up to get you to go away. Gas Pacificas have two 12 volt batteries, main and auxiliary, both under the hood, but not hybrids. Unfortunately dealers vary widely as to their competence and willingness to service Pacifica Hybrids. If possible, try another dealer. That said, I still think it is the air pump. There just isn't anything else that can make a noise in that location.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correction. So this pulse is coming from center of the vehicle right between the second row captain seats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This does not sound normal. Also sounds like you need to find a new dealer to service you if possible. The one good thing going for you is the consistent reproduction of the noise. That alone should get you 90% of the way to the solution.

Whenever I pull up to a stop light in mine, and the ICE shuts off, I relax in the utter silence that is the car. There is not buzzing or pulsing noise. That would drive me insane. ****, the little rattle of my baby's toy vibrating on the seat drives me crazy most of the time and you can barely hear it. =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bulls Eye!!!
Sorry I wont have much insight but this:

I worked in a Mobility Dealership for a few years as a Service Manager, NEVER did I hear any of the Pacificas do this. (Or any other car/van I’ve come in contact with)
I did reach out to two of my old service technicians and Service Manager friend, who worked for Chrysler for many years, and they keep saying its not normal. (They continue to work with the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids to this day) My dealership has opened a case with Corporate, and we are “waiting on a response”. Because their tech says it is normal.

But they are still trying to just brush me off. They kept my car four days, for “observation” this week. No rental. When the battery is charged the said noise does NOT happen. When battery is not charged, and even in park the noise DOES happen, so it cant be a sound to warn people I’m driving by in a hybrid. I‘ve owned two Toyota Prius’: one ‘15 and one ‘17. And Right now we have the Pacifica Hybrid and a Tesla.

I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I worked in a Mobility Dealership for a few years as a Service Manager, NEVER did I hear any of the Pacificas do this. (Or any other car/van I’ve come in contact with)
I did reach out to two of my old service technicians and Service Manager friend, who worked for Chrysler for many years, and they keep saying its not normal. (They continue to work with the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids to this day) My dealership has opened a case with Corporate, and we are “waiting on a response”. Because their tech says it is normal.

But they are still trying to just brush me off. They kept my car four days, for “observation” this week. No rental. When the battery is charged the said noise does NOT happen. When battery is not charged, and even in park the noise DOES happen, so it cant be a sound to warn people I’m driving by in a hybrid. I‘ve owned two Toyota Prius’: one ‘15 and one ‘17. And Right now we have the Pacifica Hybrid and a Tesla.

After a bad experience at Mac Haik Chrysler of Georgetown, I have got a appointment schedule with another dealer to look into this issue and also have a case open with manufacturer for this issue. Hope they can drill down to issue and then have a fix for this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After a bad experience at Mac Haik Chrysler of Georgetown, I have got a appointment schedule with another dealer to look into this issue and also have a case open with manufacturer for this issue. Hope they can drill down to issue and then have a fix for this issue.
Did you end up getting a fix? I've got the exact same issue! Multiple trips to the dealership and a call with Chrysler- they say the sound is just normal operations and tried to blame it on me not charging the car regularly enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hi! curious if you have an update- I've got the exact same issue, and the dealership and Chrysler both tried to tell me that it was normal operation of the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes! They’re saying it’s the fuel pump! That the fuel pump and battery can’t decide if it needs to go to battery so they ordered it today and once it gets here hoping the noise goes away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alright it sounds like they’re saying it’s the fuel pump failing and the car can’t decide to go on hybrid or battery. Literally took my car to Chrysler’s 3 times in the last week. I’ll keep you posted once they’ve replaced the new fuel pump and we hopefully will never hear that noise

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi! curious if you have an update- I've got the exact same issue, and the dealership and Chrysler both tried to tell me that it was normal operation of the vehicle.
Yes! They’re saying it’s the fuel pump! That the fuel pump and battery can’t decide if it needs to go to battery so they ordered it today and once it gets here hoping the noise goes away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for following up. If you can, I'd love to know if it works!

·
Registered
6 Posts
@THall @ShuraPacHy

got my vehicle back after the fuel pump was replaced and the car stopped making the noise

they had to run it and put it up on the lift while running and hybrid battery uncharged and they were able to hear it. I would drive it around wait for noise if it’s delaying and then drive straight to dealer and push for them to throw it on lift like previously mentioned.

thank god the noise is gone.
now waiting for post battery connector parts on recall 😑😩

·
Registered
5 Posts
@THall @ShuraPacHy

got my vehicle back after the fuel pump was replaced and the car stopped making the noise

they had to run it and put it up on the lift while running and hybrid battery uncharged and they were able to hear it. I would drive it around wait for noise if it’s delaying and then drive straight to dealer and push for them to throw it on lift like previously mentioned.

thank god the noise is gone.
now waiting for post battery connector parts on recall 😑😩
Excellent news! For the pst battery connector, I called Chrysler and had them check local dealerships to figure out who had the part in stock. I live in the DC area, so we have a number of dealerships so that helped. A recommendation- also ask if they have the parts in stock to replace the wiring if it is corroded.

·
Registered
496 Posts
the fuel pump and battery can’t decide if it needs to go to battery
The mechanics have no clue what they are talking about. Just an FYI. Anytime the Pacifica Hybrid is on run. The fuel pump is always on and running even when the hybrid engine is off. I think this is the stupidest design and could be changed with a software upgrade. This is only designed to shorten the life of the fuel pump to run up business. They know these hybrids most likely will never need a fuel pump replacement if they are run on full electric most of their lives and the fuel pump is off and only turns on when the engine is needed.

I have watched the real-time data while driving in full-electric mode. The fuel pump is always running and fuel pressure is fluctuating. I have warned several of these people on this forum about keeping gas in the tank and not running it empty as it will burn the pump up while in full electric. There was a discussion here a while back about leaving the tank empty to use only electric. The vehicle was not designed to be a fully electric car. :rolleyes::oops:🙄

1 - 20 of 20 Posts