2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this question a couple of times to specific people, so figured I just go ahead and open it up to everyone who it applies to....

What was the buying process like for you if you bought your PacHy in a different state than you live in? Skip mention of specific pricing or what you paid out of the door. If I wanted to know that, I'd move this to the "Purchase Incentives" subforum. I want to know more about what the experience was like....

How was negotiating over the phone? What did it take paperwork-wise? Did you fly/drive there and drive it back, or did you have it delivered?

The inventory out there these days for Limited trim models is so meager, this is probably the only way I'll be able to get one. :(

·
Registered
331 Posts
I live in MN. Bought mine in MD. Easy process, but I think that depends on the dealer you're working with and their level of experience with the process.

I'd initially e-mail Carl Wilhelm from Criswell Chrysler. They had the best pricing I could find. No hassle, no haggle. Just a straight up quote. I agreed to the price. They overnighted documents for my wife and I to sign, and I picked up a one-way ticket to Dulles.

Talked to their finance guy the day the paperwork arrived, because there was a destination charge that wasn't on the quote. I got a little nervous about that, figuring I'd risked the $270 for airfare. I got ahold of Carl, who was at his kid's soccer game. He got things straightened out.

I flew out the next day on very little sleep. Criswell reimbursed me for the cost of the taxi to the dealership. Checked out the van, did the last bit of paperwork. There was a very half-hearted attempt to sell me an extended warranty. Felt like it was done out of obligation.

Carl and I discovered the van wasn't charging properly. They had their techs take a look, and while that was happening time moved quite slowly. Carl's sales manager, Kevin, and I got to talking about me taking a different van. I had a long drive ahead and didn't want a vehicle with gremlins. They had another van that had what I wanted, but with a sunroof and a higher destination charge. We negotiated the price difference in a very straightforward way. They bought me lunch, ended up reimbursing me for my airfare, and quickly got the paperwork on the 2nd van completed. They also threw in a 2-year service agreement, which I thought was a nice gesture. Their team treated me like I was their only customer. It was simply the best car-buying experience I've had.

Left the dealership early that evening. Got home when I planned to, with a fun stop at the USAF museum on the way. I had a Maryland temporary plate on that was good for 60 days.

All registration costs were paid at the dealership. They sent me the registration documents and a check for the Minnesota vehicle registration. The check was made out to the Minnesota DMV. Once I received the package, I went into the local office. It was painless. They processed my registration.

It turned out there'd been an overpayment on the registration. The check was from Criswell, so the DMV cut a check back to Criswell. Carl worked with Criswell's business office to get the amount of the overpayment returned to me via check. I didn't know whether or not that would happen, as I have this nagging doubt about car dealerships and I'm in a low-power position out of state. Carl was great about communicating and got it taken care of for me. What more can a person ask?

I'd make sure you have all of your financing set up. If you've got someone else on the loan and registration, make sure there's a plan for them signing all documents. MN and MD didn't require anything to be notarized, but some states might.

I'd looked into having the van shipped. It would have been about $1,500-$1,700. My net cost would have been higher than traveling out to get it. I think I'd have had more time lost than three days I spent traveling, too. I'd have ended up with that first van that had charging issues, having to take it to a local dealer for warranty service. That would have been a bad feeling.

I was quite happy with how things turned out. I saved a bundle over buying locally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in MN and bought in IL. I searched for the lowest price with 500 miles and made one call and sent one email to the dealer. They offered a lower price than what was on the website and the GM sent everything over in writing via email.

I drove with my father in law to pick the car. I let the dealer know that I had a long drive and would appreciate it if they had all paperwork ready when I got there. I test drove the car for 10 min and spent about 30min with the finance manager completing the paperwork. I did have the loan set up in advance and did everything in just my name to make it easy.

They did not take care of any any registration tax. They provided me with all the paperwork needed and told me to go to the DMV in Mn to register and pay the tax. That was very easy but I suppose could be in issue if you don’t have the cash to pay they tax.

All in all it was the easiest and best car buying experience I have ever had.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am in MN and bought in IL. I searched for the lowest price with 500 miles and made one call and sent one email to the dealer. They offered a lower price than what was on the website and the GM sent everything over in writing via email.

I drove with my father in law to pick the car. I let the dealer know that I had a long drive and would appreciate it if they had all paperwork ready when I got there. I test drove the car for 10 min and spent about 30min with the finance manager completing the paperwork. I did have the loan set up in advance and did everything in just my name to make it easy.

They did not take care of any any registration tax. They provided me with all the paperwork needed and told me to go to the DMV in Mn to register and pay the tax. That was very easy but I suppose could be in issue if you don’t have the cash to pay they tax.

Haha, that’s a great story! I did just the opposite. I live in IL and we bought in MN. Part of the reason was that they had the options and paint color that we wanted and advertised a lower price than anyone else. Negotiated via email with the salesman and I asked him to give me an “out the door price” that would include all taxes, registration, etc. He said no problem, they had sold to out of state buyers many times. I told him that we’d be bringing a bank check for the full amount and no more and I made it clear when we got there that I’d have no problem returning home without a new car if there was a screw up. At the 11th hour they tried to get me to deal with the home state taxes but I reminded them that they had quoted me an “out the door” price and they had promised that they would take care of the taxes. Well, one thing led to another and they hemhawed around and I think we ended up agreeing to pay them an extra $300 over what they had quoted us but I should have held my ground. One trick that dealers will do is to tire you out or keep you waiting so you’ll feel like just getting things wrapped up and finished so that you might be willing to give them a little more just to get out of there. We spent probably 3 hours at the dealer when it should have taken less than an hour.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've asked this question a couple of times to specific people, so figured I just go ahead and open it up to everyone who it applies to....

What was the buying process like for you if you bought your PacHy in a different state than you live in? Skip mention of specific pricing or what you paid out of the door. If I wanted to know that, I'd move this to the "Purchase Incentives" subforum. I want to know more about what the experience was like....

How was negotiating over the phone? What did it take paperwork-wise? Did you fly/drive there and drive it back, or did you have it delivered?

The inventory out there these days for Limited trim models is so meager, this is probably the only way I'll be able to get one. :(
Oh, I should also mention that when I received the “out the door” price from the MN dealership we called a few other dealerships with identical models and asked them if they could beat the price. None of them could so that’s why we ended up with the dealer in MN. We drove a rental car up there one-way to pick it up. We have a special corporate rate with the rental car company that doesn’t charge for dropping off at a different location so the rental car was only about $30 + gas and a six-hour trip.
I would advise getting everything in writing via email before you arrive and then demanding that everything be ready for you when you arrive with the goal of finishing in less than an hour.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Good story! I'm in Illinois looking to buy in the near future, what dealer was this at?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I didn't buy out of state, but I did the transaction mostly by phone and email in about a 500 mile radius. This was late '16 early '17 before the van launched. Most dealers wouldn't negotiate on an order for a vehicle that had not yet launched. I found two that would, and had them bid against each other. I just told them what the other was offering and asked if they would do better. After about 2 weeks of this we got to the lowest price, which was $2k (ish) off MSRP for a Platinum with everything. Then I waited and waited and waited for my van to be built. It arrived April 27 and I picked it up April 28th. Since everything was arranged ahead of time, and I had cash in hand, it was totally painless in F&I from a paperwork standpoint.

They did take WAY too much time trying to sell me on add-ons. I started the F&I conversation telling him I didn't want any add-ons. He insisted on his sales speech. After 10 minutes I just stood up and walked out to my old van. Sales guy followed me out to the van, asked why I was leaving. I told him that I told the F&I guy I didn't want any add-ons, and he was wasting my time. I agreed to walk back in if all I needed to do was sign the purcahse paperwork and cut the check.

Went back in, signed, paid, and I was done. Drove home. If they come out with an updated model with double the miles, we would buy another.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like road trips, so I was willing to go anywhere in the country, as long as the price of the van + airfare ended up being cheapest. I made a LOT of phone calls. The one thing I learned was that no two dealers do things the same way. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I've never bought a new car before, so it was a surprise to me. Some dealerships said they would overnight me the paperwork to sign and mail back, some said they couldn't do that, and I absolutely had to sign in person. Some said they would handle my state tax/registration, others said there was no way they could do that, and I would have to do it myself when I got back. Makes sense in hindsight, but I guess I just assumed all Chrysler dealers would work the same way.

The most annoying thing was trying to figure out the out the door price. Once again every dealership was completely different. Many of the good prices I saw didn't pan out, since I didn't qualify for specific incentives. A couple places didn't include the destination charge in the website price (which seems pretty shady), and other stuff like that. For most places, you really had to get a hold of a salesperson and badger them into a final price. Since I only called places that advertised a pretty low price, almost no one was willing to go any lower than the price on their website.

I didn't see anyone else mention this, and you probably already know, but if you take delivery of a car in California, you have to pay California sales tax. I think there's a few other threads about this and the possible workarounds (get the car delivered to Nevada, etc.), but I just wanted to put that out there.

Interestingly, I also ended up buying from a dealership in MN (Jeff Belzer CDJR in New Prague), and the experience was great. There really wasn't any negotiation. I paid the "unconditional retail price" from their website. I obviously tried to haggle a bit, but since that was the cheapest price I could find for the options I wanted, I took it. I got a quote in writing over email.
I flew out early, and Dennis Sullivan picked me up at the airport at 9 in the morning and drove me down to the dealership. The paperwork was all ready, and I think it took about an hour. The took care of my out of state registration/tax (I think they charged me like $40 for that part, since they use a 3rd party service). Then I was out the door. I drove back. My only worry was breaking in the engine on the long drive back, so I tried to take back roads for the first few hundred miles, and vary my speed. I have no idea if that even matters for the hybrid, since the gas engine basically just does whatever it wants. I was obviously nervous about the whole thing, but it turned out to be really easy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in Germany, bought in MO, did everything via mail and sent Lemonsquad over to check the car for me.
Actually, awesomely easy

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I purchased a different PHEV in PA (I'm in MD). The process wasn't any different than buying locally. Did some paperwork by email, the rest over there. They gave me a temp tag and applied for the permanent one which arrived in the mail. I paid my state sales taxes and received the state EV tax credit.
I bought PacHy from the same characters RC Mike dealt with, but my experience wasn't that rosy. They sold me a damaged van and refused to own it: https://www.pacificaforums.com/threads/screwed-by-criswell-chrysler.44027/page-2#post-573385

·
Registered
331 Posts
Coon Rapids, MN
I’d almost bought a 2019 from them. They had a good deal on one around New Year’s.

Jeff Belzer here in MN is a good dealership, too. They had excellent prices on 2018 in August of 2018. We bought my wife’s Edge from them. At the time, I had reached out to a car buying consultant. When I mentioned the Edge price, he told me in no uncertain terms to go buy it right away. JB is a very easy dealership to work with.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I didn't see anyone else mention this, and you probably already know, but if you take delivery of a car in California, you have to pay California sales tax. I think there's a few other threads about this and the possible workarounds (get the car delivered to Nevada, etc.), but I just wanted to put that out there.
I suppose every state has their own rules/laws on this. But when we picked up our PacHy in MN (took delivery) we told the dealer we would be taking the car back to Illinois. They did not charge MN sales tax but we instead paid the relevant IL sales tax. I don’t remember exactly but we probably signed something that said the van would not be used in MN which freed the dealer from having to make us pay that tax.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I suppose every state has their own rules/laws on this. But when we picked up our PacHy in MN (took delivery) we told the dealer we would be taking the car back to Illinois. They did not charge MN sales tax but we instead paid the relevant IL sales tax. I don’t remember exactly but we probably signed something that said the van would not be used in MN which freed the dealer from having to make us pay that tax.
As PacDave wrote, maybe different states have different rules. But I'm almost positive that the sales tax you pay is the tax in the state where your registration is. I bought my Rav4 in Connecticut a couple of years back and there was no way around the Cook County, Chicago and Illinois taxes that came along with my residence at that location. Absolutely zero CT-related taxes. In fact, it strikes me as a bit shady that a California dealer would charge you CA tax when you're not registering the vehicle there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As PacDave wrote, maybe different states have different rules. But I'm almost positive that the sales tax you pay is the tax in the state where your registration is. I bought my Rav4 in Connecticut a couple of years back and there was no way around the Cook County, Chicago and Illinois taxes that came along with my residence at that location. Absolutely zero CT-related taxes. In fact, it strikes me as a bit shady that a California dealer would charge you CA tax when you're not registering the vehicle there.
Seems shady to me too. In my state, the dealers do not collect the tax. That is done at the tag agency when registering and getting the first tag.

·
Registered
331 Posts
CA does in fact collect their sales tax, regardless of where the vehicle is registered. There’s some mechanism for getting a credit to your own state, but when I looked into it earlier this year the CA tax was ~10%.

If you have it shipped from CA to another state, you don’t have to pay CA sales tax. If you pick it up (take delivery) in CA, you pay their tax.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Each state does things their own way, so you may or may not have to pay sales taxes in the state where you purchase the car.

I live in Texas. Earlier this year I purchased a new vehicle in Michigan. The dealer collected MI sales tax (6%), but didn’t register the vehicle. They gave me a 30 day temp tag and the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MSO or MCO). Texas and Michigan have reciprocity. So when I registered it at my local tax office, they gave me credit for sales taxes paid in MI. Texas is 6.25% on new vehicles, so I paid 0.25% plus title and registration fees locally. Total taxes were the same as if I had purchased locally, though MI got the bulk of the money.

It’s important to know ahead of time whether and how much taxes will be due in the state where you purchase and your home state to insure there will not be double taxation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in search of a Pacifica Hybrid limited with the safety tech package and seats other than white. I have looked in Chrysler websites, car guru, cars.com, autotrader, etc but have no luck. Any suggestions besides placing an order with a local dealer? I am willing to travel out of state.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm seeing at least 2 on cars.com that fit your description:

Search for Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, then select limited trim, then select adaptive cruise control (which implies that the vehicle as the AST package). Two results have black interiors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts