2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is so inspiring guys, thank you for sharing these. I will also share mine because I have done a few things too (not finished yet), although I had to work around a precise set of requirements.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Am I missing something? To those designers of camper conversions, how do you get to the spare tire?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Enjoying the thread. DW and I did our first van conversion in 1977. Just before I took a cutting tool to the side, she asked me if I knew what I was doing. I said, “No,” and started cutting lol. After custom vans, Class B’s and (as of 2 years ago) a small travel trailer, I’m aching to try a camper conversion when our Pacifica gets in. DW probably won’t let me, but I’m still getting some good ideas here.

Was just thinking about a folding dolly similar to those used loading coffins in hearses. Might make loading and unloading the camping unit easier (safer?)

Reactions: panoguy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clicking around YouTube reveals there are quite a number of 'minivan camper conversion' videos (many Dodge Caravans) so the above video turns out to be just one of many. For anyone with DIY skills there are a lot of useful tips out there. One concern I'd have with many of these, however, is what happens in a collision. That's a lot of mass getting tossed around or slammed forward if it isn't properly secured. It's all fun and games until the fridge lands in the front seat...
I wouldn't want to be in any camper van in a collision but you make a good point.

·
Registered
315 Posts
When you have all seats folded down and the cargo area filled with bikes, luggage, tents, ice chests, and all the other stuff for tent camping outside of the van don't you still have the same situation - lots of loose stuff?

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica
3 Posts
Sorry this took so long, but here are the pics! Its about 90% done. Just took the family out to Joshua Tree and it worked great. The wife and 2 girls slept inside, I was banished to tent camping. The dual sliders worked great and made life so much easier.
View attachment 42491
This is inside view. With the top bed support out. Both sliders fully extended (bottom one about 80%). Storage bin front / right of picture. Water area past that. Some storage behind sliders

View attachment 42492

Here is the bed support. 3 hinges total. Closest seam hinge is on other side. This allows a Z fold (accordion style) Once its Z folded I can lift it to gain access to storage areas.

View attachment 42493

Here are the second row seats (both used for kids). You can see the bed support Z folded. This is Road Configuration. The box goes pretty much right up to the back of the seats (as they are all pushed back far). The seats folded down like this will support the head of the bed support. You can adjust the seats back and forth to find the sweet spot to get the most support.

View attachment 42494

here is one up, and one down.

View attachment 42495
Here is the second slid out. I used coffee table hinges for the lid. This creates a great flat spot for food prep, dish wash, or whatever. Its basically the camp kitchen now. Everything we need fits in there. Used dollar bin organizers to keep everything from sliding around. magnetic strips for the knives and such. The first slide out is about 80% out. I did buy a real nice folding table horse that has fully adjustable legs. The sliders I bought were already expensive for the 40" ones, and I didn't get the real nice ones. The added support from the table horse under the first slide out is perfect to support everything. And you cant barely see it when in use. The further slider has plenty of support once the lower slide is supported.

View attachment 42496

As you can see the front is still unfinished (for looks), but is fully functional. The blue toggles are the slider locks.

View attachment 42497

Here is the lower slide out. You can see our stove for size purposes. There is an area behind that I left open for the propane bottle and food staging. Basically we just put everything on a cutting board and then laid it across the slide rails. But you could also maybe make a small box here for additional storage?

View attachment 42498
Here are the sliders with the lid down. You can also see the bed support. Where it hinges, the idea was to have it be able to lift to gain access to the water area. However the shape of the rear of the van wouldn't allow this. I will need to either cut it down to shape, or some up with something else.

View attachment 42499

Here is everything closed up. I have 2, 3L water containers. Here I will be installing the water pump and an expandable sink head. I will then be able to pull out the nozzle and turn on the pump for easy dish clean up. . . and kid showers! You can also see the double blue toggles. The bottom ones release the first slide, and the upper ones release the second. You can also see both second row seats are up and the bed support Z folded.

View attachment 42500

Here is how we traveled Dual twin Millard foam pads fit perfectly together for sleeping. We threw a sheet over them and blankets and all were happy!

Some take aways for me.
  • I had to build 2 chocks for the rear of the box. The van floor slopes away and leave about a 4" gap. Using the chocks really supports the whole box well.
  • I bought some quick adjustable legs I will put on the bottom of the box at the front. This way I can lift it up just a 1/2" or so. The sliders clear the van no problem, but this will make it smoother.
  • Don't cheap out on the slides. They are expensive, but get the ones that can support 500 lbs. The cheaper version I bought I can tell are struggling to hold the weight.
  • I used MDF for everything. Super heavy. Its a pain in the ass to get in and out. I take the sliders out first, then its a 2 person job to lift the box. If I had to do it over, Id buy nice sturdy (thinner) ply wood.
  • Im going to put some finishing touches on the front so it looks cleaner. And maybe paint it.
Let me know what you think! Love all feedback. good and bad!!
This looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm looking to create a sleeping set up that allows the 3rd row seats to stay up. At least that's the thinking for now, but I'm very early in the planning stage. The dog and his bed take up the area between the sliding doors right now. Loved how you built the cooking area with the pop up/out work surface!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts