2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Sometimes I am camping in a campground or even stealth camping. When I open the door my headlights turn on announcing to the world of my presence as I leave my bed to go to the bathroom. I would like to set the headlights so that when the vehicle is shut down at my campsite the headlights don't turn on simply because i opened the door or rear hatch to get a can opener or a cigar lighter. How do I set this please?

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,058 Posts
Hello, Sometimes I am camping in a campground or even stealth camping. When I open the door my headlights turn on announcing to the world of my presence as I leave my bed to go to the bathroom. I would like to set the headlights so that when the vehicle is shut down at my campsite the headlights don't turn on simply because i opened the door or rear hatch to get a can opener or a cigar lighter. How do I set this please?
Check the Uapps settings in the touchscreen to see if you can check or unchecked something related to the headlights coming on when opening door.

You could check the roller switch on the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. That can turn off the interior lights.

You could download more extensive owner's manuals from the Mopar website if desired.

If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts and will help us answer your questions easier in the future.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
265 Posts
There should be a sticky for this because the Pacifica makes it difficult to be discrete at night. I will show you the way! :)

On the Uconnect screen (with ignition in RUN position) go to Apps>Settings>Lights and set "Headlight Illumination on Approach" to 0 seconds.

This actually makes three changes, but the owner's manual only mentions the first one:
1) It keeps the headlights off when unlocking the doors (both via fob and passive entry).
2) It stops the Uconnect screen from booting up whenever the front door handles are touched if Passive Entry is enabled.
3) The third thing it addresses is only applicable to models with automatic headlamps (Touring/Touring Plus and higher trims). This is something that really annoyed me until I figured out how to stop it: that darn instrument cluster lighting up at full brightness when you open a door. YES, it keeps the cluster at whatever brightness the dimmer is set at, but the headlight switch must be set to AUTO.

After all that, those pesky front & rear turn signals still flash twice when you lock or unlock the doors (or when opening a door if Passive Entry is enbaled). Thankfully, there's a fix for that too. On the Uconnect screen (again, with the ignition in the RUN position), go to Apps>Settings>Lights and remove the checkmarks for "Flash Lights with Lock" and "Flash Lights with Sliding Door." The lights will still blink when opening & closing the power liftgate, and there's no setting available to disable this.

After making these changes, your van won't turn on any exterior lights at any point when entering/exiting (except when using the power liftgate). I don't know if the cluster lighting up upon entry can be disabled (or if it's even necessary to begin with) on lower trim models without automatic headlamps, so someone with one of those vans would need to chime in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I see a lot of stealth camping videos suggested to me on YouTube is it common?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Op if you don’t already know you should look into the weathertech sun shades. They cover every window completely. Just bought them today.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
You could check the roller switch on the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. That can turn off the interior lights.
This is the most useful feature for me since many times when we arrive home the kids fall asleep inside the car and we don’t want to wake them up. Usually the interior lights light up whenever you open any door after ignition is off, except when using that roller switch to its lowest setting (roll past the detent). I quickly figured this out after a few frustrating times when little ones woke up unintentionally.

I thought if you keep the headlights in “off position” instead of “auto”, then they wouldn’t turn on while opening doors.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
265 Posts
This is the most useful feature for me since many times when we arrive home the kids fall asleep inside the car and we don’t want to wake them up. Usually the interior lights light up whenever you open any door after ignition is off, except when using that roller switch to its lowest setting (roll past the detent). I quickly figured this out after a few frustrating times when little ones woke up unintentionally.

I thought if you keep the headlights in “off position” instead of “auto”, then they wouldn’t turn on while opening doors.
I like this feature for the same reason. It also helps keep flying insects out of the van during the warmer months because there's no light to attract them. However, they could've made it better. It annoys the wife and I when the kiddos push the lights to turn them on during the day. We usually don't notice they're on until the kids are strapped in and we're driving down the road unless we remember to check them before we start driving. I wish the driver somehow had the ability to disable them or at least turn them all off.

I kinda miss the old conversion vans in which the driver was the only one that could turn on the overhead domelight on. :)

·
Registered
2017 LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see a lot of stealth camping videos suggested to me on YouTube is it common?
Hotels can be costly if you just need to sleep for 6-8 hrs waiting for the early morning ferry. I most always stay in campgrounds on road trips/vacations. There are some nice and clever stealth van set ups made from the high top Promaster and Mercedes Vans.

·
Registered
2017 LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Op if you don’t already know you should look into the weathertech sun shades. They cover every window completely. Just bought them today.
Yes, thank you, In fact I too bought the complete set. You can turn them around to be either silver or black. Computer cut to fit exact. Also I like their vent shades bought that set as well. It allows the windows to be open an inch or two but hides that crack for ventilation from passing eyes of people you might not want to know you are inside the van sleeping and hopefully keeps out a mosquitoe or two.

·
Registered
2017 LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There should be a sticky for this because the Pacifica makes it difficult to be discrete at night. I will show you the way! :)

On the Uconnect screen (with ignition in RUN position) go to Apps>Settings>Lights and set "Headlight Illumination on Approach" to 0 seconds.

This actually makes three changes, but the owner's manual only mentions the first one:
1) It keeps the headlights off when unlocking the doors (both via fob and passive entry).
2) It stops the Uconnect screen from booting up whenever the front door handles are touched if Passive Entry is enabled.
3) The third thing it addresses is only applicable to models with automatic headlamps (Touring/Touring Plus and higher trims). This is something that really annoyed me until I figured out how to stop it: that darn instrument cluster lighting up at full brightness when you open a door. YES, it keeps the cluster at whatever brightness the dimmer is set at, but the headlight switch must be set to AUTO.

After all that, those pesky front & rear turn signals still flash twice when you lock or unlock the doors (or when opening a door if Passive Entry is enbaled). Thankfully, there's a fix for that too. On the Uconnect screen (again, with the ignition in the RUN position), go to Apps>Settings>Lights and remove the checkmarks for "Flash Lights with Lock" and "Flash Lights with Sliding Door." The lights will still blink when opening & closing the power liftgate, and there's no setting available to disable this.

After making these changes, your van won't turn on any exterior lights at any point when entering/exiting (except when using the power liftgate). I don't know if the cluster lighting up upon entry can be disabled (or if it's even necessary to begin with) on lower trim models without automatic headlamps, so someone with one of those vans would need to chime in.
Thank you. I will try this. It was nice of you to be so thorough. Will update when I do this.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you for this, We go to the drive in movies so this I hope will help me with the dash lights staying on, we usually put a towel over the instrument panel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts