2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For young familys and folks on a budget the price of a caravan can't be beat. Another thing that can't be overlooked is that many folks use the caravan as a multi purpose van like a truck...carrying bag of mulch, lawn mowers, lumber, ladders and all kind of things The Pacifica is so nice I would almost feel guilty putting a bag of much into it.
When the caravan goes away should chrysler offer a caravan version of the pacifica...here is my idea.
Change the fenders, hood and grill a bit to make it look a little differant. Give it very limited options, no power sliding doors or hatch. No leather seats. Give it a tougher interior for cargo. Give it standard roof rack like the 2001-07 roof rack....I think your getting my point. Here is the tough part,,,keep it in the very low $20,000 range.

COMMENTS......

·
Registered
993 Posts
For young familys and folks on a budget the price of a caravan can't be beat. Another thing that can't be overlooked is that many folks use the caravan as a multi purpose van like a truck...carrying bag of mulch, lawn mowers, lumber, ladders and all kind of things The Pacifica is so nice I would almost feel guilty putting a bag of much into it.
When the caravan goes away should chrysler offer a caravan version of the pacifica...here is my idea.
Change the fenders, hood and grill a bit to make it look a little differant. Give it very limited options, no power sliding doors or hatch. No leather seats. Give it a tougher interior for cargo. Give it standard roof rack like the 2001-07 roof rack....I think your getting my point. Here is the tough part,,,keep it in the very low $20,000 range.

COMMENTS......
Better yet, just keep building the darn thing. It is the best selling minivan, by far. Lots of people like it just the way it is. Update the styling a little, make sure it gets all the electronics demanded by millennials, drop the faux sporty and luxury trims, and just keep the line rolling, making money for stockholders.

It would be difficult to downgrade the Pacifica to meet the same price point. The Caravan does not have an independent rear suspension which keeps the price down.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've always read the dodge caravans are the worst rated minivan. That and most I see that more than a few years old are just falling apart.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've always read the dodge caravans are the worst rated minivan. That and most I see that more than a few years old are just falling apart.
The Town & Country and Caravan were identical vehicles, so there would have been no difference in reliability. I've always been amused by the variance in ratings in Consumer Reports for such twin pairs that Chrysler/Dodge and Ford/Mercury built over the years. It just points out the glaring unreliability of such survey ratings.

Any Caravan you seen on the road that looks like the present vehicle (fifth generation) could be as old as 2008. The third and fourth generation Caravans (very similar in appearance) can be as old as 1996, and those are the ones that often look really beat out. So, if you see one, it is still running!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
For young families and folks on a budget the price of a caravan can't be beat. Another thing that can't be overlooked is that many folks use the caravan as a multi purpose van like a truck...carrying bag of mulch, lawn mowers, lumber, ladders and all kind of things The Pacifica is so nice I would almost feel guilty putting a bag of mulch into it.
When the caravan goes away should Chrysler offer a caravan version of the Pacifica...here is my idea.
Change the fenders, hood and grill a bit to make it look a little different. Give it very limited options, no power sliding doors or hatch. No leather seats. Give it a tougher interior for cargo. Give it standard roof rack like the 2001-07 roof rack....I think your getting my point. Here is the tough part,,,keep it in the very low $20,000 range.

COMMENTS......
There are lower end Pacificas without as many of the extras, but they probably aren't advertised as much. The Pacifica L has a second row bench seat that has to be removed and is the lowest level. It would be nice to get the price down once the Grand Caravan isn't available anymore.

There are threads about how some people have put in plywood or tarps to protect the interior when hauling stuff.
@stop-eject even figured out how to put a bagster in the back of the Pacifica.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/453914-post1.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
The chrysler town and country is dead. The dodge grand caravan lives on. I test drove one. 2018 model year. It was alright. Brand spanking new. I have not been driving many new vehicles. It was worth considering buying but dealer was not giving me as much as I wanted on a trade in.

Probably cause there was less room to move on a dodge grand caravan. I was looking at bottom level grand caravans.

I went to another dealer. They had a left over pacifica, pretty low on options. 17 model year. 18s all over the lot. The 17 has no remote start on the key fob and being low on options was just not what most people wanted.

I liked how the pacifica handled compared to the dodge grand caravan and the extra 3 gears in the automatic made a difference cruising around town and on one merge. Basically the pacifica had gears for anything. The dodge was not bad, I remember 3 speed automatics, but 6 gears vs 9 was a difference I noticed.

I don't abuse my pacifica but I did not get it for a family hauler. I got it as a road trip mobile and for moving a decent amount of stuff around and keeping that stuff out of the weather.

Dealer with leftover pacifica wanted it gone and wanted my jeep. Pacifica already had lifetime warranty bought and while it did have a fair number of test drive miles on it, the warranty starts when titled so not like a couple hundred test drive miles is a big whup.

I have been way behind on today's tech and what not, so I am happy with basic pacifica.

I understand why making the dodge grand caravan may make sense for a working vehicle or something, but a base model pacifica is a decent step under the higher levels of pacifica.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Caravan doesn't seem to perform well in the small overlap crash testing the IIHS does. If considering a new van, I know keeping in budget is important, but safety should be a priority and you should look for the safest vehicle that you can afford that still fits your needs. A stripped down Pacifica with very few options might not be that glamorous or tech savvy, but it's still an IIHS top safety pick+ rated vehicle at a similar price point to a nicely loaded Caravan.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got my 2018 Pacifica L for 23K out the door. Now, i don't have stow and go, so putting in sheets of wood requires pulling the middle bench at home, but my wife and i have done it several times to go get large items like furniture.

My L seems to have very few issues. With no power doors, no start / stop / no crazy infotainment system, there is very little to go wrong. 13k miles so far and we are very happy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not know the Pacifica L came with a 2nd row bench seat. Can you a L with full stow&go...and how much more is it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a new 2017 Tusk white Pacifica LX in Jan. 2018 and am happy with it no issues and 13k so far on it. I love this van! I wanted to spend less but stretched my budget for the 9 speed tranny and added crash safety that the Pacifica has. My Lx has the safety tech lane sense and backup stop assist. Another reason for choosing tha Pacifica was much better gas mileage than the Caravan. The full stow and go on this LX trim also sold me over the Caravan. I owned two previous Caravans but my Pacifica is easier to drive and has more power too. It costs me about $100 more per month in car payments than what I was originally planning to spend on a base new Caravan, but it was a sacrifice well worth it though my budget is tighter. This forum is chock full of people talking about thier high-end Pacifica's features, but I am glad to brag about my low end model also, because there are allot of us who fit this trim level and don't need every bell and whistle to be very satisfied.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did not know the Pacifica L came with a 2nd row bench seat. Can you a L with full stow&go...and how much more is it?
nope, basically thats a LX then. The L has steel wheels, hub caps, bench 2nd row, black exterior handles, not ESS, no belly tray under the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what you mean by belly tray...with the bench seat are the "buckets" still there that are meant bfor the stow&go seats?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Caravan is a decent van and if you absolutely have to buy new, it's a really good deal.

I had a 2012 T & C, so I basically had a tarted up Grand Caravan. I liked that van just fine (it was lost in an accident in November), but the Pacifica Touring L I have now is far and away quieter, smoother and all-around nicer than the T & C (also a Touring L) in just about every way.

So, for the price of a new, not very much content Grand Caravan, I can get a fairly loaded up Pacifica with 1 year's worth of miles on it. If I were going to drive my cars for the next 12+ years and 200,000 miles, maybe that extra year of newness would mean something. I'll put a 100,000+ miles on this one (barring any more accidents) and that it started 1 year old will make no difference.

If you are driving a vehicle 7 years or less, buying with a few miles on it will do nothing but allow you more vehicle for the same money. I've been buying slightly used vehicles for years. A 2003 Venture bought in 2003, the 2012 T & C bought in 2013, the 2018 Pacifica bought in 2018- all used. Even my 2007 Silverado bought with super low miles in 2010 which now has 160,000+.

My point is yes, the Grand Caravan will get the job done and is less expensive new than buying a Pacifica new...but why buy new? I'll take the much more optioned up vehicle with 15,000 miles any day.

Although I'm glad many of you do. That helps me out.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Apparently, the Grand Caravan will continue to be made and sold for another couple of years...

Dodge Grand Caravan Continues Through 2019But Delayed for U.S. - The Drive

Dude, you are quoting a nearly two year old article that states the GC will be made for another two years. I believe the GC will probably continue for several more years. It doesn’t make any sense to simply stop a best selling car and losing market share.
If people are not buying it, then it’s a different matter (eg: nissan discontinuing the Quest).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Town & Country and Caravan were identical vehicles, so there would have been no difference in reliability. I've always been amused by the variance in ratings in Consumer Reports for such twin pairs that Chrysler/Dodge and Ford/Mercury built over the years. It just points out the glaring unreliability of such survey ratings.

Any Caravan you seen on the road that looks like the present vehicle (fifth generation) could be as old as 2008. The third and fourth generation Caravans (very similar in appearance) can be as old as 1996, and those are the ones that often look really beat out. So, if you see one, it is still running!
After years of reading Consumer Reports, I became annoyed with the manner in which it rated vehicles. All red circles, but its an American nameplate, so we don't recommend it; all black circles, but its a Toyota, so it is highly reliable. Their bias against american name plates / for foreign name plates is ridiculous. Oh well, I show my lack of support for them by refusing to subscribe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts