2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals...
I've just finished sealing most of the seams on the van, all doors, hood, rear gate, and now the front doors have this tight thump "German car" like noise when you close them... and the thing is dead silent inside, too; so, my next plan of attack in noise reduction is getting some closed cell foam to put on/over the wheel wells.

This is what I had in mind... any thoughts?
Amazon.com: Vibro 228 mil -1/4" Sound Dampening Insulator-100% Waterproof Closed Cell Foam –Car Sound Deadening Material - Automotive Sound Deadener 9 Large Sheets-Buy & Support Made in USA- Not Russia or China: Automotive

I also think there could be improvements in noise by adding an undertray to the Pacifica, since there is a lot of cavities for turbulence to happen underneath... so at some point I'll be considering making a flat undertray to help aerodynamics (better MPG) and reduce the noise under the van... what do you guys think?

G.

·
Registered
2018 Limited | Velvet Red Pearl, Black/ Diesel| Build date 06/2018
31 Posts
what did you add to the doors to make them seal better?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I added weatherstripping to the edges of all the doors on my van. That way air doesn't rush through the panel gaps. In addition I also added sound deadening material to the outer wheel wells. That cut the noise by about 8 dB inside the cabin, which is nothing to sneeze at.

G.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The biggest improvement I made was switching to Michelin Primacy Tour A/S. So so quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats good to know. With that said, the 20" Falken tires that came with the van are fairly quiet... but, again, I don't have any other tires to compare them to. The fact is that adding the deadening material lowered the cabin noise by ~8 dB, and that is more than noticeable.

G.

·
Registered
2018 Limited | Velvet Red Pearl, Black/ Diesel| Build date 06/2018
31 Posts
I added weatherstripping to the edges of all the doors on my van. That way air doesn't rush through the panel gaps. In addition I also added sound deadening material to the outer wheel wells. That cut the noise by about 8 dB inside the cabin, which is nothing to sneeze at.

G.
ya got any picts? i"m curious as to the specs of the weather stripping and installation.

for the wheelwells, did you simply remove the wheel and OEM panels and apply the adhesive sheets to the body? did the extra thickness mess with any of the fasteners when putting all the OEM panels back in place?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take a couple of pics of the seals. I used Menards rubber/foam marine seals, so far has held well. I have almost 1k miles on the van.

Yes, I took the splash guard out and added two layers, one of closed cell foam and on top of that I added a butyl rubber layer. Zero issues to close the panel back. There is a ton of room in most of the areas around the fasteners, the only place where it could be tight is the front.

I have a couple of pics of the install in another thread.

G.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The biggest improvement I made was switching to Michelin Primacy Tour A/S. So so quiet and smooth.
I'll repeat something I've posted before. A couple of years ago for a short time we had a Michelin engineer posting here (went by forum name Mickey30) who drove a Pacifica as his family vehicle. He put Primacy Tour A/S on his van, and he said they were the best Michelin tires for this purpose. @Norbert, I assume you took his advice. ;)

Reactions: panoguy and Norbert

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, when the Falkens go, looks like the tires to get are the Michelin Tour A/s then. Thanks for the advice! I still recommend doing the sound deadening. That will compound on top of having quiet tires.

G.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My concern would be trapping moisture that would encourage rust/corrosion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My concern would be trapping moisture that would encourage rust/corrosion.
For the sealing? or for the sound deadening?

I had that concern too, but I ensured I didn't plug any of the holes and left an ample gap at the bottom of the sealing

As for sound deadening trapping moisture, considering that the splash shield covers the entire wheel well without leaving a gap, it reduces the chances of trapping water. You can always remove it, is not like a rubberized coat that can't really be removed... (unless sanded down)

G.

Reactions: DoninDel

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
so, when the Falkens go, looks like the tires to get are the Michelin Tour A/s then.

G.
More specifically: Primacy Tour A/S.

Reactions: gMan1971

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see, thank you! :)

G.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
361 Posts
I'm a fan of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S myself. Put them on my 4Runner after reading reviews on TireRack and Discount Tire.:)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm a fan of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S myself. Put them on my 4Runner after reading reviews on TireRack and Discount Tire.:)
That particular Defender is not available for my 20" wheel size. In a comparison of the two, the Primacy is described as having a shorter tread life (55K vs 70K miles), quieter, more precise handling, and better wet traction than the Defender. I've certainly not tested them. They are both very good tires.

Reactions: gMan1971

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
86 Posts
More specifically: Primacy Tour A/S.
That's my next big purchase after putting some miles on these crappy Yokohamas. I did the sound deadener and that's not quite enough. The tires make all the difference, since they're the only part that hits the road.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's my next big purchase after putting some miles on these crappy Yokohamas. I did the sound deadener and that's not quite enough. The tires make all the difference, since they're the only part that hits the road.
How much deadening did you add? It really made a huge difference on mine. But I guess the Falkens I have OEM were fairly quiet to begin with...

G.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
86 Posts
How much deadening did you add? It really made a huge difference on mine. But I guess the Falkens I have OEM were fairly quiet to begin with...
One layer of the 80mil Noico over each wheel well, no closed-cell foam (yet). I can hear the difference, but there's still the jarring vibrations from the tires (feels like riding on overinflated balloons at 36psi). They don't make Primacy's to fit the 17in rims, so I'll be upgrading those to 18 as well. Kicking myself for not getting the tire and wheel package at the outset, but I thought the 17's would be quieter... live and learn!

Also, I might take the extra Noico and add it to the doors (starting with the rear hatch). Removing those panels doesn't look hard, just lots of wires and connectors...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah, just the butyl rubber then... I would've also thought that larger profile tires would've been quieter, due to increased rubber to absorb vibrations. Could be weight of the tire as well...

May I ask why upgrade to 18s and not to 20s? $$$ perhaps?

G.

One layer of the 80mil Noico over each wheel well, no closed-cell foam (yet). I can hear the difference, but there's still the jarring vibrations from the tires (feels like riding on overinflated balloons at 36psi). They don't make Primacy's to fit the 17in rims, so I'll be upgrading those to 18 as well. Kicking myself for not getting the tire and wheel package at the outset, but I thought the 17's would be quieter... live and learn!

Also, I might take the extra Noico and add it to the doors (starting with the rear hatch). Removing those panels doesn't look hard, just lots of wires and connectors...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ah, just the butyl rubber then... I would've also thought that larger profile tires would've been quieter, due to increased rubber to absorb vibrations. Could be weight of the tire as well...
That's what I thought, but apparently quite a bit more rests on the design of the tire and the manufacturer. I've heard from others that the 20" Falkens on the non-Hybrid models are pretty nice for OEM.

May I ask why upgrade to 18s and not to 20s? $$$ perhaps?
Partly the $$$ but also the suspension overall. There is a different part # for the OEM shocks depending on whether you have the 17, 18 or 20" wheels. Makes sense, since the reduced tire profile can make a harsher ride along with being better in cornering (with reduced flex), so the shocks are (I suspect) softer as you go up in wheel size. More bumps to absorb and less flex where they hit the road. My shocks are for the 17" wheels on the Hybrid.

The 2020 PacHybrids only come with either 17 or 18" wheels, but then they also have an extra 500lbs of battery underneath them. That weight changes the driving dynamics, so I don't know what kind of shock or spring differences there are on top of just the tires. Rather than go for 20" looks and potentially worse ride (unless I go whole hog and look at shocks, etc.), I'm hedging my bets with a minimal diameter increase and well-known tires to go with the suspension the way it's already tuned.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just expecting too much from a minivan, but folks like you @gMan1971 inspire me to improve what I have. So thanks for that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts