1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
101 Posts
The biggest performance-related gripe for me is the minivan doesnt have the shift padel for gear selection. Waiting the transmission to downshift is very annoying... that makes moving uphill much less smooth than it should be. I really couldnt understand how Chrysler can approve a 2018 minivan without this important feature, something they had in T&C and still have in Grand Caravan.

Another thing is... why they reserve the AWD option! With the shift padel and AWD added back to the minivan, I believe it will beat every single competition out there plus it will have a huge chance to steal some market shares from the 3 rows SUV market.

Since they target male and fathers in their ads, and did pretty successfully, it's reasonable to believe they should have even more success to win the male market if those features are there as many male drivers care about those.

Hope Chrysler will move fast and implement the features in the 2019 models. Unlike the old time, the automobile playing field is now very dynamic. Automakers need to repsonse fast to the market trends and needs in order to stay ahead of the game or even survive. They cannot keep a model totally unchanged for 5-10 years. I bet the Sienna franchise will have something amazing to offer next year, and Honda will fix some of the mistakes in the odyssey by 2020.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Since they target male and fathers in their ads and did pretty successfully, it's reasonable to believe they should have even more success to win the male market if those features are there as many male drivers care about those.
Not just men... I kept driving my 2002 AWD Town & Country for years because I couldn't find another AWD minivan and didn't want to downsize to an SUV. (Eventually the repair costs started adding up, and I decided to put my money into a new Pacifica instead.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've never really experienced downshift issues. I have a 2018 though. We took a trip from DC to Cleveland. Tons of hills and mountains and the trans was smooth. We live on a small ridge where we have to drive up pretty steep hills to get to our house and no jerking, no late downshifts. Smooth as butter.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why doesn't Chrysler just add paddle shifters to the Pac? Other FCA cars have them. That would solve the problem.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Do other FCA cars with this ZF 9-speed transmission have paddle shifters?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've never really experienced downshift issues. I have a 2018 though. We took a trip from DC to Cleveland. Tons of hills and mountains and the trans was smooth. We live on a small ridge where we have to drive up pretty steep hills to get to our house and no jerking, no late downshifts. Smooth as butter.
Same here, 13,000km and smooth.... very smooth..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tried to pass cars on uphill highways... Or slowed down and then picked up to max speed on uphill highways... Pacifica's trans showed it's weakness in those situations. Down shifting is not super sluggish but it's not super responsive either. Wait time for downshifting was definitely there ... and I just wish the shift pedals were there when I need them.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
31mpg?! Schnikeys! Wow. Hope mine gets that some day.

Good overall review.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Good overall review.
That was eye popping too! Because those guys at Car and Driver always drive with lead feet! 40K miles in one year is nothing to sneeze at, that Pac led a, ahem, full life. lol.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Wow. That was an awesome review. I’m really impressed at the fuel economy recorded by the testers. My car has city/town fuel economy of 17 MPG at 5000 miles. :D. I haven’t checked it on highways though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
566 Posts

Good overall review.
The 31mpg was achieved on their test loop where they drive it at 75mph for 200 miles straight. But I’ll gladly take 29mpg at 80mph ;-)

At its best, our Velvet Red Pearl van covered as many as 500 miles per tank and averaged as high as 29 mpg, even when pushing 80 mph. On our 200-mile highway test loop, which we run at a steady 75 mph, the Chrysler achieved 31 mpg, beating the Toyota and Honda minivans and even topping the 25 MPGe of its plug-in-hybrid sibling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a 2016 Dodge Caravan as a rental and the MPG was over 21, which to me was great considering this is a huge van. My 09 Enclave manages only 15-16.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Ahhh. The infamous ZF-9.

Why research with such sleek, emotional ads?
It is a complicated piece of hardware. Apparently, when it works right, it works extremely well, but there is a lot to potentially go wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts