2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
A few times a week when we try to start our Pacifica after pushing the start button, it doesn't start and we get a Service the Shifter message. Anyone else have the problem and or a solution. The car eventually does start but this is a great inconvenience and disappointment having just leased a brand new vehicle!
I just had this happen yesterday morning 5am when going to work, remotely opened the slide door but then it said I had to shut it manually, same with back lift door, got in and tried to start it and nothing....left it and took my truck, when I got home it started, but said service shifter very quickly.

Went out this morning 5am and it wouldn't start again, but tonight it does.
Mine has 32k Mike's on it and were going on vacation this weekend and it has me scared, might get a new battery just incase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sees like this reaction is related to low battery. I was going in to town to do some errands today. Luckily it was me and my son and not my wife. I loaded up the car and hit the starter button....
The car acted like it had a low battery, half turning the engine and then it displayed the " Service the Shifter" message. Shift indicator had gone dark... I hooked it up to a charger and waited a couple hours.
We jumped in after a couple hours and it started right up... On the way, I noticed that the single round brake warning light was on.We were almost to our first stop, so I left the engine running while I unloaded the water bottles.... I turned around, and the car had died... (It never has died before)
It wouldn't start. We were stranded.
After about 5 minutes, I tried it again, and it started. I let it idle for about 10 minutes...
On the way home, I stopped at a stop sign and the car wouldn't go again. The engine was still running, but it wouldn't let me drive. All shifter lights were lit (P R D etc) I turned it off (a risk) and it started once again. (The traffic behind me was agitated)
I drove slowly the rest of the way home, only doing California stops to avoid the same situation... This is a Death Trap!
The battery is going bad. It holds a good charge at 14 volts, but as soon as a load is on it, it drops to 10.6. Not good....
Although I know what the cause is, the Pacifica reaction is dangerous. A low battery should not cause traffic incidents as long as the auto is still running.. The alternator tests good...
Dangerous AF. Will replace the battery tomorrow... Not letting the wife drive this until it is replaced and the computer logic is verified....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sees like this reaction is related to low battery. I was going in to town to do some errands today. Luckily it was me and my son and not my wife. I loaded up the car and hit the starter button....
The car acted like it had a low battery, half turning the engine and then it displayed the " Service the Shifter" message. Shift indicator had gone dark... I hooked it up to a charger and waited a couple hours.
We jumped in after a couple hours and it started right up... On the way, I noticed that the single round brake warning light was on.We were almost to our first stop, so I left the engine running while I unloaded the water bottles.... I turned around, and the car had died... (It never has died before)
It wouldn't start. We were stranded.
After about 5 minutes, I tried it again, and it started. I let it idle for about 10 minutes...
On the way home, I stopped at a stop sign and the car wouldn't go again. The engine was still running, but it wouldn't let me drive. All shifter lights were lit (P R D etc) I turned it off (a risk) and it started once again. (The traffic behind me was agitated)
I drove slowly the rest of the way home, only doing California stops to avoid the same situation... This is a Death Trap!
The battery is going bad. It holds a good charge at 14 volts, but as soon as a load is on it, it drops to 10.6. Not good....
Although I know what the cause is, the Pacifica reaction is dangerous. A low battery should not cause traffic incidents as long as the auto is still running.. The alternator tests good...
Dangerous AF. Will replace the battery tomorrow... Not letting the wife drive this until it is replaced and the computer logic is verified....
Odd thing about this whole mess is that everything points to a bad battery, but the battery light has yet to display..... :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Odd thing about this whole mess is that everything points to a bad battery, but the battery light has yet to display..... :)
Battery light doesn't seem to show up even when battery is the issue.
I've had the main battery replaced twice and didn't see the battery light either time. The first failing battery threw codes that were seen when the van was in for something else. That battery was replaced under warranty but 4 months later the replacement battery completely failed with no warning. It was able to be jump started and was replaced by the dealer.
I agree that you probably have a battery issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I’m also in the same situation. Earlier in the day my 2017 gas Pacifica with 25k miles hesitated on start. Drove a few miles to run an errand. Came back and wouldn’t start. Had to have it jumped - the cables had to be on the battery for a few minutes before it cranked over. Got it home and tried to start it a couple times - both times it started but I get a service shifter message and the prndl lights aren’t on - although it does shift. Taking it to the dealer in the morning. Battery had to be replaced a year ago after it died. Can’t believe this replacement battery only lasted a year. Glad this Pacifica is a lease with it going back in February.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts