1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah that 0-60 is fast. I think the Pacifica I have seen from the same publication at 7.3. So it isn't too bad/slow. At least the Pacifica has better lateral grip and supposedly better stopping distance than Honda. :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that one extra gear really make it that much faster? (they tested the 10 speed - as an aside, we used to call road bikes 10 speeds when I was a kid!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does that one extra gear really make it that much faster? (they tested the 10 speed - as an aside, we used to call road bikes 10 speeds when I was a kid!)
can't tell if this is a serious question. the answer is no, more gears just mean engine operates within it's power band (see fuel efficiency)

·
Registered
565 Posts
What is the criteria for them rating the Pac #1? Is there a link that breaks that down?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No link you just have to read the two test articles. Unless they do a direct comparo article in the future. But as it is, its a two horse race between the Pac and Ody.

·
Registered
13 Posts
do you believe in this reports? after reading reports and looking to latest JD power initial quality report I think the editors driving other cars then we are.... I stopped to read reports, just go to forums like this at 1st and then test drive.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ya you have to be carefull. I purchased the car of the year in 1972. A real piece of sh*t. Chevy Vega... Motor Trend car of the year... ya right....
However, car now are all well built and Chrysler put a lot into the Pacifica. $2,600,000.00 US...... should be the number 1

Don't forget that in forums like this one you get a large percentage of the people who have problems. Most of the ''0 problem'' people don't bother posting..

·
Registered
203 Posts
I still will call out any bike with those curled handles a 10 speed. I had one of those heavy bikes with the fake gas tank. My brother had his totally mind blowing cool BMX. But I was the Fonz. :smile2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
It sure will help it get off the line quicker. It has a lower first gear. Chrysler also really only uses 8 of our 9 speeds most of the time in the Pac. Not sure why they tuned the final drive ratio the way they did. But the Honda has a better launch with a lower overall 1st gear.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It sure will help it get off the line quicker. It has a lower first gear. Chrysler also really only uses 8 of our 9 speeds most of the time in the Pac. Not sure why they tuned the final drive ratio the way they did. But the Honda has a better launch with a lower overall 1st gear.
Would a lower first gear really help? Tire grip seems to be the limiting factor when launching. I can break the 18" Michelin Premiers free easily on my Pacifica.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Would a lower first gear really help? Tire grip seems to be the limiting factor when launching. I can break the 18" Michelin Premiers free easily on my Pacifica.
I have the 20's on my Limited. I do not think they will break loose. But if the transaxle had an overall lower final drive ratio, it would help I believe, you can roll onto the throttle and launch hard without breaking loose.

Either way, the Pac has plenty of power I think. It wasn't that many years ago when the performance of this minivan would be better than Mustangs, Camaro's and other "muscle" cars.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't chirp our 20's. I think the Pac is plenty quick enough. Would I like it quicker, of course, you know just in case. My philosophy is a fast/quick car can be driven slow but a slow car can't be driven fast. lol. That's my excuse I tell my wife anyway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My philosophy is a fast/quick car can be driven slow but a slow car can't be driven fast. lol.

I used to do a lot of work with Car and Driver and the philosophy we all learned from frequently driving really fast cars is that "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" (at least in terms of sporty cars)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Car and Driver has run multiple articles on the Pacifica, they even had a follow up at 30k miles a few months back and it still earned high marks.

If you read the article they are huge fans of the stow and go seating and are not fans of Honda's new sliding seats. They also prefer Uconnect and gave Honda a hard time because they finally removed the sliding door lines 22 years after Chrysler did.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to do a lot of work with Car and Driver and the philosophy we all learned from frequently driving really fast cars is that "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" (at least in terms of sporty cars)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgUuRVkgJmg
lol, I was referring more to everyday driving than sporty driving. Like being able to merge onto a busy street for example. Its nice to have a car than can accelerate when you need it to. Stuff like that. But I hear you, a Miata is a popular car to track for a reason!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
Norbert
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing