2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
My first PHEV was a 2017 Volt and I'm pretty disappointed with the winter experience in my Pacifica. Granted the Volt is a much smaller car with a much smaller engine and with a much bigger battery than the Pacifica but I feel like the Pacifica runs the engine way way more on similar short trips. The Volt tells you why the engine is running right in the console (either says "engine maintenance" or "due to temperature") but the Pacifica has zero feedback. The Volt even allows to to cancel the maintenance (but of course not indefinitely). I'm not really buying the 45 degree number that a lot of people have been posting about in this thread; I've made all electric trips in the low 30's. Hopefully future models will provide more information and also user preferences for battery usage that other PHEV's have.
If I'm not mistaken, the first and second year Volt had the same issue, and it was later remedied on subsequent model years with the ability to manually override automatic EV operation (including cold weather). Volt owners overwhelmingly praised the toggle, particularly on long-trips where it was possible to force ICE operation on the highway and 'save' the fully-charged traction battery for more efficient, urban, start-stop traffic usage.

It's disheartening that FCA didn't incorporate the Volt's EV override ability on the PacHy. Maybe they'll follow GM's lead and include the feature on new models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On very cold days, my 2018 Pacifica HYBRID used to take a few miles to warm up in gasoline engine hybrid mode, but would then switch to all electric. We are now having a very cold snap and the car won't go into electric mode even after a 30 mile trip. Has anyone else had this issue. It's suppose to warm up here next week and I'll see if the electric mode still isn't working.

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
85 Posts
There is nothing wrong, the e-mode is working as intended. Batteries are not ideal for extreme cold weather. The batteries are too cold, and cabin temps take a long time to reach 70 degrees in extreme cold. Heat for the cabin is best sourced from the gas engine cooling system, and engine heat aids in bringing the battery pack to proper operating temps. The computer knows whether batteries or gas should be used for all operating condition. Trying to make the van operate in electric mode when gas is more appropriate is just silly. I don’t get people buying a $45k vehicle, then riding around with a 40 degree F cabin just to save $50/yr. If money is tight, why not just leave the van at home parked in a warm garage and ride your toboggan or ebike? Chrysler could have installed more battery nanny aids on the Pacifica to provide greater battery availability at extreme temps, but it would have raised the cost too much. Nobody wants to pay an extra $20k for a vehicle so the gas motor runs a few hours less on the coldest week of the year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was wondering just how long it takes for the battery to warm up. This morning (28F or -3C and sunny), a 60-minute commute was done on gas only. The car went fully electric only for a few seconds while going downhill at one point. At a few moments, I could feel the car jolt when it appeared to be trying to switch to the all-electric mode (both at 0 MPH while waiting for the light to change, and cruising at 30 MPH). Parked it with 99% battery after a 40-mile ride.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
265 Posts
I was wondering just how long it takes for the battery to warm up. This morning (28F and sunny), a 60-minute commute was done on gas only. The car went fully electric only for a few seconds while going downhill at one point. At a few moments, I could feel the car jolt when it appeared to be trying to switch to the all-electric mode (both at 0 MPH while waiting for the light to change, and cruising at 30 MPH). Parked it with 99% battery after a 40-mile ride.
That doesn’t seem right. Did you look at the Power Flow screen? Was Climate up at 6 or 7kW the whole time? Last night I sat my Hybrid outside at -15C (5F) all night unplugged, then started it this morning, let it run a few minutes and then drove it. Front and rear climate were both on AUTO at 22C. The ICE started immediately as expected and ran for less than 10 minutes of city driving before falling back in to EV mode. It shouldn’t still be at 99% after 40 miles of driving. There’s something not right there. Check your coolant heater.

·
Registered
265 Posts
On very cold days, my 2018 Pacifica HYBRID used to take a few miles to warm up in gasoline engine hybrid mode, but would then switch to all electric. We are now having a very cold snap and the car won't go into electric mode even after a 30 mile trip. Has anyone else had this issue. It's suppose to warm up here next week and I'll see if the electric mode still isn't working.
This doesn’t seem right either. Take a look at the Power Flow screen after a cold start. The Climate number should come up to 6 or 7kW if your coolant heater is working.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That doesn’t seem right. Did you look at the Power Flow screen? Was Climate up at 6 or 7kW the whole time? Last night I sat my Hybrid outside at -15C (5F) all night unplugged, then started it this morning, let it run a few minutes and then drove it. Front and rear climate were both on AUTO at 22C. The ICE started immediately as expected and ran for less than 10 minutes of city driving before falling back in to EV mode. It shouldn’t still be at 99% after 40 miles of driving. There’s something not right there. Check your coolant heater.
I did. Coolant was at 68C when I checked. I mentioned it to the dealer who will check it out in a few weeks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did. Coolant was at 68C when I checked. I mentioned it to the dealer who will check it out in a few weeks.
Coolant temp is not what you want to check. That is reading the coolant temperature in the engine, not electric coolant heater discharge. When operating in EV mode, the electrical heater doesn’t cause the dash coolant temperature to climb at all. Valves are used to bypass the engine. You need to look at the Power Flow screen in the e.Hybrid app to see what the Climate power draw is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Coolant temp is not what you want to check. That is reading the coolant temperature in the engine, not electric coolant heater discharge. When operating in EV mode, the electrical heater doesn’t cause the dash coolant temperature to climb at all. Valves are used to bypass the engine. You need to look at the Power Flow screen in the e.Hybrid app to see what the Climate power draw is.
It was steady at 6/7 kWh... until it dropped to zero and the CEL came on. The most recent 25 km trek was all-gas again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It was steady at 6/7 kWh... until it dropped to zero and the CEL came on. The most recent 25 km trek was all-gas again.
Looks like this is a coolant heater issue. There could also be an issue with a valve in the coolant system. There is a 2 way valve that controls when hot coolant gets run through the heat exchanger for the battery loop. If that valve fails, but the van is trying to warm the battery, I suppose it could also cause this issue. When you take it in for service have them test those valves too along with the coolant heater.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Pinnacle Hybrid
90 Posts
We are experiencing the same thing. Climate is at 1 or 0 KW and no CEL. But I'm going to watch this closely and contact the local dealership to test the coolant heater.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts