2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled my Chrysler Pacifica up this morning and immediately upon leaving the gas station the engine light light came on and the car was running rough. I stopped the car and restarted but still had the same problem. Mind you the car was running perfectly before Filling up. Does anyone have a similar issue.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hopefully, the fuel station did not have a tanker dump the wrong fuel a ground tank. Like diesel or E85.

Overfilling can cause this as well if the charcoal canister and evap system are flooded with liquid fuel. Very expensive repair.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Because this happened immediately after leaving the station, bad fuel would not have had time to get to the engine. I suspect something else.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Because this happened immediately after leaving the station, bad fuel would not have had time to get to the engine. I suspect something else.
I was wondering the same thing, maybe more like what ThisSuckersElectrical has suggested that liquid gas got into the EVAP system, could that have caused the van to run rough that quickly?

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
For More information regarding the gas tank and evap system the others mentioned see this post. I would have any codes pulled from the van before jumping to any conclusions.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I filled my Chrysler Pacifica up this morning and immediately upon leaving the gas station the engine light light came on and the car was running rough. I stopped the car and restarted but still had the same problem. Mind you the car was running perfectly before Filling up. Does anyone have a similar issue.
If the van is still running rough and the check engine light is on, you could stop by an auto parts store to see if there is a code that they can read (if you aren't able to have the dealer check it). There usually isn't a charge for this and it can be done relatively quickly. They take a code reader to your van and plug it in briefly. Write down the codes since they might clear. Let us know the codes and someone might be able to help you.

How many miles does your van have? If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings, it will show up at the bottom of your posts and help us answer your questions.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Did it calm down? I had a 2003 Town & Country that would do the same thing after a fill-up. If I gassed up, bought something in convenience store, all was well, but if I gassed up, and drove off, it would stutter for several miles, then all was well. Happened several times.
Never figured out the cause - my hunch was dirt in the gas tank that was stirred up by filing clogging the fuel pickup - when the dirt settled again, all was well.
Another theory was vapor lock - had you been driving the car for a while before you stopped for gas? (Engine hot?).

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it is running OK now then the most likely cause is, you overfilled the fuel tank. Folks who repeatedly try to top off their tank by pulling on the lever again and again after it automatically stops are risking evap system gas flooding and failure. Fuel system topoff is a very bad habit, as the extra gas gets recovered thru the gas station pump hose evap system (2-way recovery system), or finds it's way into your fuel evap system. Both are a total waste of money because most of the fuel does not go into your tank. An automotive evap system is designed to recover evaporating fuel (gaseous fumes), not liquid gasoline. The resultant flooding of the evap system can result in rough engine operation, misfire, cat system failure, a tow job and/or very expensive repair. This is akin to pouring water in somebody's mouth after they have already consumed too much. Your van is probably gagging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It could very well be a fuel injector. Had a garage check it said it was rskipping several hundred dollors later seem to be ok skip again more repairs told be it was costco gas i didn't think so they use 30000 e gallons a day any way it was a fuel injictor. Put some conditioner in it a hard drive 200 miles end of problem

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
It could very well be a fuel injector. Had a garage check it said it was rskipping several hundred dollors later seem to be ok skip again more repairs told be it was costco gas i didn't think so they use 30000 e gallons a day any way it was a fuel injictor. Put some conditioner in it a hard drive 200 miles end of problem
Not quite sure what to make of that.... is that beer talk?

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
I don't drink and if you dont know ligitement device you don't belong on this forum THWY
Still not making sense brotha,🤷‍♂️

1 - 12 of 12 Posts