2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
When I went to a car seat inspection the inspector advised against using a car seat protector. Said they defeat the rubber base of the car seat, which is designed to limit sliding during a collision.
If the car seat is installed properly, I don’t think it’s relying on friction to keep it in place.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If the car seat is installed properly, I don’t think it’s relying on friction to keep it in place.
My hunch is that the rubber base helps keep the car seat (especially boosters) correctly aligned during day to day use - then if you get in a collision it will work properly. I can't imagine that a rubber base helps the seat function properly 'during' a collision.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I pretty much agree with @generaltso. I don't have wide-ranging experience with car seats, but in my limited experience, if installed tightly, they shouldn't move much at all.

I have a couple Gracos on Brica protectors (neither are ideal IMO). If I install them by kneeling in them and tightening the seatbelt in locking mode while my weight is on them, they get so tight I don't think they'd move around if they were on a greased sheet of glass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My hunch is that the rubber base helps keep the car seat (especially boosters) correctly aligned during day to day use - then if you get in a collision it will work properly.
It is possible I interpolated the "during a collision" part. I am not myself a certified inspector and have not researched the relevant studies.

I am inclined to believe the inspector's recommendation, which was with respect to a rear-facing installation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is possible I interpolated the "during a collision" part. I am not myself a certified inspector and have not researched the relevant studies.

I am inclined to believe the inspector's recommendation, which was with respect to a rear-facing installation.
Feels like a manufacturer cover your ass situation. I fail to see how a thin seat protector would influence seat performance in a crash when it is anchored to the seat and tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Using a third party protector could very well be considered not installed properly.

A car seat is a system. It has many components which work together to limit injury. Defeating one of the components can increase the risk.

For example, for adults the seat belts and air bags are designed to work together. Even if the airbags are disabled, a crash could still be survivable with seat belts alone, but the risk is higher.

·
Registered
343 Posts

I agree with that. I would not feel comfortable with a car seat protector unless it's one of the ones that's been tested and approved by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Indentations??

Looking into the Brica, but concerned with some reviews that talk about the blue "X" leaving indentations in the leather. I have the black interior. I was wondering how long you've had yours in and if you've checked for marks underneath? THANKS!

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Looking into the Brica, but concerned with some reviews that talk about the blue "X" leaving indentations in the leather. I have the black interior. I was wondering how long you've had yours in and if you've checked for marks underneath? THANKS!
Yes, the rubber X does leave indentations in the leather. But they're gone in a day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brica is the best I've found

I agree with generaltso about the Brica. We have one of these, and it is very nice.

We also have the other one referenced in the original post. For this one, I have to use a piece of the rubbery shelf liner on top of it to keep my Chicco carseat from sliding around. And the top of it bunches up because it's not stiff like the Brica and the straps that go around the headrest are wider than the headrest so they pull together. I obviously still use it, but I would rather have two of the Brica.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts