2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at getting the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, but the 3rd row seems like a challenge when it comes to installing car seats. We need to have a harnessed booster seat in the 3rd row and the headrest (when up) prevents the back of the car seat from laying against the seat itself. If the headrest is down, it nestles into the back of the seat and the straps are harder to adjust (still possible, just tighter).

Also, the other spot for a car seat in the 3rd row is in the middle of the other two seats. So there's still an issue with the headrests (except there would be no nestling, the car seat would just hit the headrests and not the full seat) and then the buckles (for the outboard and middle seats) would be right underneath the seat. Can a good car seat installation be achieved in the 3rd row? This is the main concern I have with this van.

Has anyone been successful at installing car seats in the 3rd row?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Britax Frontier Click Tight installed on the passenger side in the 3rd row. It's a tall car seat so I have the headrest folded down. It's a nice and tight install, and I don't seem to notice any extra resistance with the straps. I have a Graco Turbobooster on he other side and it works better with the headrest up. I think Chrysler should have made the headrests removable and put three latch positions and tethers in he 3rd row, but what I have installed now is working fine so far.

·
Registered
492 Posts
We are looking at getting the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, but the 3rd row seems like a challenge when it comes to installing car seats. We need to have a harnessed booster seat in the 3rd row and the headrest (when up) prevents the back of the car seat from laying against the seat itself. If the headrest is down, it nestles into the back of the seat and the straps are harder to adjust (still possible, just tighter).

Also, the other spot for a car seat in the 3rd row is in the middle of the other two seats. So there's still an issue with the headrests (except there would be no nestling, the car seat would just hit the headrests and not the full seat) and then the buckles (for the outboard and middle seats) would be right underneath the seat. Can a good car seat installation be achieved in the 3rd row? This is the main concern I have with this van.

I have had issues with the straps in several seats in the past, and have learned when I buy a seat to look for ones where the straps are inset somewhat, so that even with a seat pulled super tight, the straps adjust well. I have 3 inexpensive seats where the straps are a bear to adjust, and 2 more expensive (but not crazy) seats where they are easy even with the headrest down. This problem is more a function of the car seat, than the headrest.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Per the owner's manual, Chrysler approves folding down the non-removable headrests in the outboard 3rd row seats in order to install a car seat in front of them. If you do not feel that you can achieve a secure install with this configuration, I suggest contacting the car seat manufacturer for advise. Keep in mind that a secure install is often over-defined as "no movement" when most manufacturer's say no more than 1 inch of lateral movement.

Carseatblog.com has a nice video on the options for installing car seats in different positions in the Pacifica, and covers some good pro/con points.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Curious if three very narrow forward facing car seats (secured with seatbelts) could fit in the third row. I have Diono RXT car seats, and they actually fit three across in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Trying to see if it's even an option with the 3rd row of the Pacifica. Normally, we'd probably have two kids in the captain's chairs and a third in the back, but if we're hauling older folks too, would be nice to put them in the 2nd row.

Should clarify that I don't have a Pacifica - yet - to try myself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We normally have one child in the back on the single fold down seat set of tethers. Had another child in there sitting without a carseat in that middle seat in the 3rd row, and it was very cramped when the carseat was next to them using the tethers. So I ended up using the seat belt instead and keeping the headrest up so I could maximize the room in the back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have a similar question. Has anyone put 3 seats across in the 3rd row like a Diono RXT or R100 using belts NOT LATCH? Have the Limited Hybrid 2018 so there was no 8 seat option which would allow 3 car seats across 2nd row.

If not car seats, has anyone fit 3 boosters in the 3rd row?

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have a similar question. Has anyone put 3 seats across in the 3rd row like a Diono RXT or R100 using belts NOT LATCH? Have the Limited Hybrid 2018 so there was no 8 seat option which would allow 3 car seats across 2nd row.

If not car seats, has anyone fit 3 boosters in the 3rd row?
Yes, that's actually my question. I wouldn't be using latch either. And I'm looking specifically at the PHEV. The Diono's are great seats. Super well-built with steel frames and very slender.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope it’s ok to bring this discussion back to life...but did anyone figure out if they could do three car seats/boosters in the third row? I’m specifically thinking of using two high back boosters (maybe the Maxi Cosi RodiFix) and one convertible car seat or narrow harness booster...

Obviously you would have to forgo the LATCH connections and just install with seatbelts. But is this all possible? And if you have three back there are your kids ok with it or do they complain about being cramped?

Any luck three across with any brand car seat? The Car Sear Lady post on this is helpful but she only tried a few configurations, most of which relied on one of the seats using an inflatable backless booster which I don’t think would be applicable for us.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We used 3 Radian XT across the back of our 2004 Acura TL for almost 4 years. They were getting on each other's nerves quite a bit towards the end, making our decision to get a mini-van much easier. Our girls were 7-, 5- and 3-years-old when we jumped to the Pacifica last summer. We never tried installing the car seats in the van.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts