2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I began to experience shudders when turning slowly especially in parking lots. The shudders stop if I turn faster or go faster. Also it only shudders around half turn left or right. Before or after that it stops. Anyone experience with this weird issue? 2017, 40k miles. Thanks

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Check the power steering fluid level. If you add some yourself, be sure it is exactly what Chrysler recommends.

Reactions: GregMej

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
955 Posts
Check the power steering fluid level. If you add some yourself, be sure it is exactly what Chrysler recommends.
You do realize the Pacifica has electrically-assisted power steering, right? It doesn't use power steering fluid. :)

As for the original problem. What exactly studders? Do you notice a change in steering feel or are your referring to a change in the engine idle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do realize the Pacifica has electrically-assisted power steering, right? It doesn't use power steering fluid. :)

As for the original problem. What exactly studders? Do you notice a change in steering feel or are your referring to a change in the engine idle?
The steering wheel for sure shakes. Not sure if it's because of the engine or the power steering electric motor but you can feel it and hear it rumble. If you keep it at the right wheel angle and crawling speeds it would intensify. Sound and feel like a manual car about to stall. But that wouldn't make sense on an automatic would it?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

Whoops! I forgot. Ended up recalling a past vehicle that did exactly that when the steering fluid was low. More coffee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should also disclose that this started happening after I put on winter tires. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not. But maybe the softer and deeper tread sticks more to the ground causing the electric motor to work past it's limits? It seems to only happen at one angle left or right from center of steering wheel while driving very slowly.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I should also disclose that this started happening after I put on winter tires. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not. But maybe the softer and deeper tread sticks more to the ground causing the electric motor to work past it's limits? It seems to only happen at one angle left or right from center of steering wheel while driving very slowly.
Hi @datzstr8 - We certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your Chrysler dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. We would be more than willing to provide you with an additional layer of support for the dealer process.

Mark
ChryslerCares

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts and will help us answer your questions easier.
If the problem started after changing to winter tires then that would probably be a good place to start.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,263 Posts
I was going to suggest it might be the way the tires might be chattering at high steering angles. That is what mine feels like .

Reactions: GregMej

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,263 Posts
I put on the same tire size as stock. I asked this same issue on Facebook group and it seems like I'm not the only one with this issue.
I would not have anything to do with the tire size. Rather the tread pattern and rubber compound of the tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I began to experience shudders when turning slowly especially in parking lots. The shudders stop if I turn faster or go faster. Also it only shudders around half turn left or right. Before or after that it stops. Anyone experience with this weird issue? 2017, 40k miles. Thanks
Yes, I have the same problem with 48k miles and new Goodyear tires. Only happens when I turn left at slow speeds and noticed mostly in parking lots. I am going to try inflating my tires to around 40 psi instead of 38 psi (i have the large wheels). I had my alignment checked and I had a mechanic look at the car and I could not reproduce the problem. I thought it was the power steering fluid, but then I found out its all electronic power steering. Original problem was reduced when the tires were rebalanced using longer thinner weights and spin balancing. But problem still persists.

·
Registered
2017 Touring L - Bright White, Black/Alloy w/Nav
69 Posts
I've noticed the same phenomenon on my 2017. It certianly feels like something in the electric power steering. In a hydraulic system, you'll often hear the pump groaning at high steering angles, so maybe this chatter is a similar phenomenon - electric assist having trouble handling the heavy load of full angle steering.

Chatter is sometimes an issue in clutch-based active differentials, however it looks like the Pacifica uses a standard open differential.

I dont see how re balancing the wheels would help this issue: wheel balancing issues typically show up at high speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same problem that I have. If I am making a left turn, and as I am letting the steering wheel rotate clockwise to straight ahead position, is when I get the chattering in the steering wheel.
23,000 miles. Original tires on 20" wheels. Alignment about 5k miles ago.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L - Original Owner
19 Posts
I have this issue. I had it before I put the winter tires on and still have it now. I've read in other posts that replacing the battery solved it. I'm just at 40,000 miles and am considering the test of replacing to see if it gets rid of the issue.

Slow left hand steering. No other issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts