2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My family has outgrown my 2013 Prius V. So looking to join the Pacfica family.

I am going through a purchase with carmax for this 2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus with 18,000 miles:
- https://www.carmax.com/car/19172212

With Original Windows Sticker:
- https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C4RC1EGXJR260553

Optioned with:
  • Handsfree sliding door
  • 8 passenger seat
  • Keysense
  • Spare tire kit
Price is $28,000 non-negotiable (as you probably know with Carmax).
- Similarly spec'ed brand new 2020s seem to go for ~$33,500 (20% off MSRP of $42,000; so about 5.5k savings).

My concerns are:
1. The rear liner from the cargo came off (this happened 2 other pacificas at carmax I've seen), what's the deal/fix?
2. Does this car qualify for the Zeigler extended warranty? (Considering the $100 deductible with 8 years + 100k miles; cost about $2,300)
3. The keysense and a pair of remote/headphone is missing. Are they easily replacable?

What do you think of the price, is this a good deal? Fair deal? Or please share any thought you have!

I haven't heard of much issues with the 2018 model on this forum (2017 seems to have way more problems).
I love the style and features of the Pacifica. But Chrysler is not exactly known for not breaking down... so I want to hear what everyone think about the 2018s, and especially my purchase of this car.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
343 Posts
Personally, If you can afford the extra $5.5K I would go for it. Brand new vehicle with many of the issues from earlier years having been fixed, full warranty, and you could still add an extended warranty if you want.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I think you're in or around CT, the location of the Carmax, I checked dealer inventory in that area, and there are quite a few new 2020 Touring L models with Advanced Safety Tech available for around 33K. Those would be a much better buy. You would give up the rear screens for a much more valuable set of safety features that will be standard on all 2021 Pacificas. That 2018 you cited is not really a bargain. The dealer can probably find financing that is better than Carmax.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I like the Advanced Safety Tech.
Bumping up $5.5k for a new vehicle is gonna be out of budget unfortunately. That's before the additional sales tax.
I feel the carmax one isn't a bargain but mostly fairly priced (and personally within budget). If this means no advanced safety tech... I can live with it. As long as the purchase qualifies for the Zeigler warranty.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you do get it, buy oil and a filter and change the oil yourself - it is easy:
Then, you will know 2 things for certain: 1) When the oil was changed and 2) what oil is in it.

Reactions: Jimmy

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would spend the $5k more and buy a new one. Early Pacificas have issues, and that extends into 2018s, a 2020 will hopefully have those issues worked out. I just traded my 2017 in which was a disaster on a 2020 and hoping its better.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
343 Posts
Yeah I like the Advanced Safety Tech.
Bumping up $5.5k for a new vehicle is gonna be out of budget unfortunately. That's before the additional sales tax.
I feel the carmax one isn't a bargain but mostly fairly priced (and personally within budget). If this means no advanced safety tech... I can live with it. As long as the purchase qualifies for the Zeigler warranty.
There can be other ways to make up the price difference. Are you trading in another vehicle? Maybe you can get the dealer to give a little more on the trade. And as Waldo mentioned above, you may be able to get some better financing from your dealer on the new vehicle, or maybe even your bank can get better rates for a new vehicle.

Don't get me wrong. I just went through this and had a budget limit that I had to work with and could only go for a used 2018. I was able to work out all the different financial angles to make it work in the end.

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica Limited (Gas), Black, Customer Preferred Package 27P, Build Date 03-2020
13 Posts
Be very careful of Carmax. I went to purchase a vehicle from them for my wife a few months ago. Their website has a "report" which shows the history of the car. This "report" is their own report which is not nearly as complete as CARFAX. I always run a CarFax and this time it paid off. The car had been in a serious front end collision with major body work to the vehicle - this information was not on the Carmax "report". The cost was like $29 but worth every penny as it saved me a lifetime of aggrevation.

Reactions: Bond007 and Jimmy

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
71 Posts
You are not fairly comparing cost of new vs used, as the true cost difference is definitely not $5500. The 2018 is at least 2-1/2 years old, so the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty is expired, or about to expire. A new bumper to bumper warranty is worth $2500 alone over an as-is deal!! Also, do you plan to run this vehicle for the next 10 yrs and 150k+ miles, or sell it at some point? Cost of ownership will be higher for the 2018 vehicle because it is 2 yrs older, and resale will be lower by thousands $.

A decent aftermarket warranty such as Zeigler costs roughly $2500. Still, it DOES NOT favorably compare with a new car warranty which has full 5yr/60k powertrain coverage. The used car has 18k miles and 2-1/2 yrs use that counts against remaining warranty life. The 5/60 warranty is already half way toward expiration. Also, you are risking a situation where hidden crash or maintenance neglect damage caused by the original owner could cause warranty or other troubles for the 2nd owner. Carfax does NOT catch all crash repairs.

I bought my 2019 used last Winter. However my van was less than 1 yr old with plenty of warranty remaining, and cost $23K. At the time of purchase, it was $10K under cost of new. Chrysler Dealers are offering slightly better discounts compared to 6 mo ago. Prices have dropped about $3K.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Another possibility is to consider a new Chrysler Voyager LX. In my Illinois area they are available for $30K with the Cold Weather Package and the Safety Tech Package (this is lesser stuff than the Advanced Safety Tech on the Pacifica). You would still get a brand new fully warranted vehicle, and not have to buy and extended warranty right away (you can buy one later). In case you didn't know, the Voyager is in every way mechanically and body build identical to the Pacifica.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Keep in mind too the Carmax business model is really a used-car lot business model. That non-negotiable price is somewhat high so that they can buy your old car at a price that does not insult you. That means that they are paying you more for it than it is really worth to them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have you checked pricing on a new 2020 Voyager? Basically same vehicle as Pacifica. From $26,985 MSRP
Then you have a new car with a warranty.

·
Registered
916 Posts
2 model years old (almost 3, really), two tires with 18k already on them, all the above comments.
Pass on this one. Go new if that is the other choice you have. This one is over priced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Be very careful of Carmax. I went to purchase a vehicle from them for my wife a few months ago. Their website has a "report" which shows the history of the car. This "report" is their own report which is not nearly as complete as CARFAX. I always run a CarFax and this time it paid off. The car had been in a serious front end collision with major body work to the vehicle - this information was not on the Carmax "report". The cost was like $29 but worth every penny as it saved me a lifetime of aggrevation.
Agreed. I double checked with a carfax report as well. It shows more detailed the name of the shop that serviced the vehicles. Otherwise the history is clean.

I bought my 2019 used last Winter. However my van was less than 1 yr old with plenty of warranty remaining, and cost $23K. At the time of purchase, it was $10K under cost of new. Chrysler Dealers are offering slightly better discounts compared to 6 mo ago. Prices have dropped about $3K.
Yes the factory warranty is more than half way through. That's why I need the Zeigler extended warranty - my understanding is that it extends both the "bumper to bumper" and "powertrain" coverage, and Zeigler is a MOPAR warranty identical to the original warranty.
This carmax Pacifica is $14k under MSRP (or probably 5.5k~7.5k under OTD). Do you suggest it should be 10k under OTD to be an acceptable deal?

Another possibility is to consider a new Chrysler Voyager LX. In my Illinois area they are available for $30K with the Cold Weather Package and the Safety Tech Package (this is lesser stuff than the Advanced Safety Tech on the Pacifica). You would still get a brand new fully warranted vehicle, and not have to buy and extended warranty right away (you can buy one later). In case you didn't know, the Voyager is in every way mechanically and body build identical to the Pacifica.
That's a possibly and I definitely considered the Voagers. They cut back on a number of features that's a deal breaker for me - no 8th passenger, no leather seats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The purchase isn't finalized yet so fortunately I can pull out, based on the general disagreement in the comments.
Though it's not clear from the collective posts what the precise message is:
  1. Don't buy a used Pacifica at all - Pacifica should be something that one only buy new?
  2. Buy a used Pacifica, only if the model year is newer than 2018?
  3. Don't buy this particular used Pacifica? (because carmax is not reliable? or overpriced?)
The features that I care about are:
  • Leather seats
  • Overhead display or two screens for the 2nd passenger row
  • Advanced Safety Tech (possibly optional to fit budget)
  • Total costs around $27,500 ($20,000 budget + $7,500 trade-in for my Prius V that carmax appraised)
  • Zeigler extended warranty (8 years / 100k Miles) - this I am willing to put in another $2500 on top of the above cost, for a total budget of $30,000
It looks like the Pacifica will have to be at least a Touring L (with add-on upgrade) or a Touring L Plus in order to accomplish these features.

What are some OTD prices you have in mind, or experience you know with buying a Pacifica with these features, whether used or new?

·
Registered
653 Posts
So, in general, I would buy the newest Pacifica possible. I think with the ability to get a new one within 5k of this one similarly equipped, there should be a 2019 out there that is potentially certified with a warranty for $30k?

If you're willing to go to $30k, I seriously would consider going the extra $3,500 more and buy new. Bear in mind a set of tires is $800-$1,000. You can also wait some for the 2021 to come out and a leftover 2020 may come into that range.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The purchase isn't finalized yet so fortunately I can pull out, based on the general disagreement in the comments.
Though it's not clear from the collective posts what the precise message is:
  1. Don't buy a used Pacifica at all - Pacifica should be something that one only buy new?
  2. Buy a used Pacifica, only if the model year is newer than 2018?
  3. Don't buy this particular used Pacifica? (because carmax is not reliable? or overpriced?)
The features that I care about are:
  • Leather seats
  • Overhead display or two screens for the 2nd passenger row
  • Advanced Safety Tech (possibly optional to fit budget)
  • Total costs around $27,500 ($20,000 budget + $7,500 trade-in for my Prius V that carmax appraised)
  • Zeigler extended warranty (8 years / 100k Miles) - this I am willing to put in another $2500 on top of the above cost, for a total budget of $30,000
It looks like the Pacifica will have to be at least a Touring L (with add-on upgrade) or a Touring L Plus in order to accomplish these features.

What are some OTD prices you have in mind, or experience you know with buying a Pacifica with these features, whether used or new?
Okay, now that is clearer! Used Pacificas are fine. Mine is an early build 2018, and it has only had a couple of software glitches that the dealer took care of immediately.

I do not have the rear displays of either kind. It seems, only by reports here, that many of the problems with the 2018 were related to the control head and the dual rear screen combination. Because of the high cost of those items, and the fact that Chrysler has switched to another supplier for 2021, my advice would be think about buying a nice Apple or Samsung tablet instead. They are much more versatile. But, hey, if you gotta have it, go for it.

The other common problem with the 2018 is that hood and rear door leading edge paint bubbling. Check for it before you sign up. Chrysler will fix it.

I'm not a fan of Carmax. I think they promise more than they deliver. But so do most car dealers. With that in mind, find a good (four star+ reputation) CJDR dealer in your area and talk to the Internet sales person. Tell him or her about the Carmax deal you are considering and see if they can match it or beat it. Those people have resources beyond the typical floor walker and can find stuff you don't know exists. They might even match Zeigler's price on the warranty to close a deal.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
FWIW, I did a search on cargurus dot com (a good used car resource) and filtered Pacificas with under 25K miles and priced under $29K. The results should encourage you to shop! This link loses the filters so you'll need to reset them.

Look at this. It's Certified Pre Owned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, in general, I would buy the newest Pacifica possible. I think with the ability to get a new one within 5k of this one similarly equipped, there should be a 2019 out there that is potentially certified with a warranty for $30k?

If you're willing to go to $30k, I seriously would consider going the extra $3,500 more and buy new. Bear in mind a set of tires is $800-$1,000. You can also wait some for the 2021 to come out and a leftover 2020 may come into that range.
I might stop by a dealer and try to get a concrete OTD price from them. If it's really $3,500 more for an equivalnetly spec'ed then it's seriously worth considering.
To be honest I might have been too optimistic about OTD = 20% off MSRP for a new Pacifica. Maybe a range of 10%~15% off MSRP ($6000 ~ $8000 more) is closer to reality.

I'm not a fan of Carmax. I think they promise more than they deliver. But so do most car dealers. With that in mind, find a good (four star+ reputation) CJDR dealer in your area and talk to the Internet sales person. Tell him or her about the Carmax deal you are considering and see if they can match it or beat it. Those people have resources beyond the typical floor walker and can find stuff you don't know exists. They might even match Zeigler's price on the warranty to close a deal.
Pitching the carmax deal, appriasal and zeigler against the dealer is a clever stragtegy! I also would not have known of the CJDR internet sales and their extra resource. Thanks!
The CarGurus link works - it preserves your filter setting.

Let me try poking in this direction.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I got almost 20% off my 2020 Pacifica last week, now it was a loaded Limited. I got $10k off a $52k MSRP, so thats 19.3%.

Reactions: Bond007 and Jimmy
1 - 20 of 47 Posts