2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica Limited (Gas), Black, Customer Preferred Package 27P, Build Date 03-2020
12 Posts
I considered used and showed the dealer what I had found. Two weeks ago I challenged them to make me a better deal and they did.

2020 Pacifica Limited
MSRP: $46,290
Rebates: -$4000 ($3500 Factory + $500 USAA)
Dealer Discount: -$5,673
Tax, Title, License & Doc Fee: $503
Out the Door: $37,120

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
900 Posts
I don't know how old your children are. My younger grandchildren tire quickly of the tablets on the 2017 TL+ and, when smaller, couldn't reach them from the car seat. Chrysler used to have a deceptive ad with child with a tablet on their lap, but when you looked closely that was NOT the built in ones (they don't detach.) Fine for movies/videos, but a tablet may serve just as well. On the other hand, I won't buy a vehicle without the advanced safety tech -- try it, you'll be hooked after one parallel park or tight shopping center space.

As implied in some of the posts above, you have to figure into your pricing package what needs to be replaced on a 2 year/18K mile van. Tires & brakes go a long way in closing the gap. Look at the build date (on the drivers door label) and see exactly how fast those miles were added on. A big difference is a 2018 built in late 2017 vs. built in June 2018 to rack up the mileage.

Also, as pointed out, you can defer buying the extended warranty. I had a 2017 with a 39 month lease, and the dealer couldn't come up with a configuration we wanted before month 36, so I bought a 5 year $200 deductible maximum care policy from moparconnect for under $1K with days left in month 36. Buying the policy later also will give you time to decide how long you really want to keep it. There was just a piece on the radio that if I heard correctly, said nearly half the vehicles on the road are over 10 years old. BUT, and its a really big BUT, the Pacifica is loaded with electronics and computers, and that was one of the reasons I have gone to 3 year leases. I just don't want to put up with the minor squeaks and nonsense an aging vehicle can experience. When younger, I kept cars as long as 14 years, so don't let my current preferences unduly sway you.

Remember, that while you will see many problems on these threads, you have to balance that against the fact that there are well over 400,000 Pacificas on the road, the vast majority trouble free. People come here for advice and problem solving, so take what you see in the proper context.

Reactions: Bond007 and Jimmy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I got almost 20% off my 2020 Pacifica last week, now it was a loaded Limited. I got $10k off a $52k MSRP, so thats 19.3%.
I considered used and showed the dealer what I had found. Two weeks ago I challenged them to make me a better deal and they did.
2020 Pacifica Limited
MSRP: $46,290
Rebates: -$4000 ($3500 Factory + $500 USAA)
Dealer Discount: -$5,673
Tax, Title, License & Doc Fee: $503
Out the Door: $37,120
Man, you guys got some serious deal making skills.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Jerry - very fair and balanced advice. Thanks. Yeah I would defer the extended warranty, just that the timeline margin is coming close (with 6~9 months or 18k miles left).
I don't have any children yet. The passengers in mind are adult family members - wife, sibling, cousins and my parents.

Especially for my parents who have worked all their lives and never had a chance to do family trips, I want to make up to them by taking them to more weekend trips - in a spacious, comfortable car with decent infotainment system (so we can hit farther destinations - like Canada from NYC), while keeping responsible financial budget. The rear screens would probably be a significant experience enhancement for them on longer trips. I might setup chrome cast, netflix, or some video streaming.

In my mind, at least for this vehicle purchase, I'd get the value out of the Pacifica if it can make road trips fun for my parents in whatever years they have left. This line of thought lead me towards getting the longest zeigler warranty possible.

Carmax did replace 2 front tires, and when I inspected them all 4 tires have good depths tread. Now that you mentioned, I felt the brakes were weak compared to other pacifica I test drove. I should contact carmax to take a look at the brakes.

As much as I know I'll love the advanced safety tech, I expect it'll be near impossible to find them in the used car market. Most used cars were lease/rental, for some reason the majority of them don't seem to like advanced safety tech. But growing up in NYC, I am well versed in parallel parking or all kinds of parking. If anything I'd miss out the adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Remember, that while you will see many problems on these threads, you have to balance that against the fact that there are well over 400,000 Pacificas on the road, the vast majority trouble free. People come here for advice and problem solving, so take what you see in the proper context.
As usual I have to challenge this. Its not just problems in these threads, every published measure for reliability rates the Pacifica, and other FCA products, at or near the bottom. I just got my second Pacifica to replace my very trouble prone 2017 model so I get it, its really the best minivan product available now and going to something thats rated higher means sacrificing a lot in features and design, but you can't sugar coat it. If you get a Pacifica you should be prepared for some reliability challenges.

I also have posted on many other car forums over the years, and the number of issues posted here is extremely high for a vehicle the oldest of which is only 4 years old. Also remember issues posted in this subforum are posted off topic, you also need to look at the problems subforum.

Hopefully you have none, or they are very minor...but you shouldn't expect perfection like you would in say a Toyota. If my 2020 suffers one or two failures a year I would be satisfied, where if my Lexus suffered one or two failures a year I would be really unhappy. My 2017 was in the shop at least every other month.

Man, you guys got some serious deal making skills.
It really wasn't hard. These things don't fly off the lot, 2021s are coming with a refresh and car dealers are hurting right now. I was at the dealer for maybe 40 minutes, didnt even shop it around.

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica Limited (Gas), Black, Customer Preferred Package 27P, Build Date 03-2020
12 Posts
SWPacLim is correct. Dealers are hurting and they are looking to clear out 2020s. I didn't have to negotiate hardly at all. Fastest purchase I've made on a vehicle in years.

Reactions: Bond007 and Jimmy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I get it, its really the best minivan product available now and going to something thats rated higher means sacrificing a lot in features and design, but you can't sugar coat it. If you get a Pacifica you should be prepared for some reliability challenges.
Yep I am with you on this. It is one thing I can't resist the Pacifica but it is another thing when it comes to reliability reputation with Chrysler... one does not simply relax.
I won't hold the Pacifica to the same standard as my Toyota Prius V that has served me well 7 years with zero major issue.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
13 Posts
Yep I am with you on this. It is one thing I can't resist the Pacifica but it is another thing when it comes to reliability reputation with Chrysler... one does not simply relax.
I won't hold the Pacifica to the same standard as my Toyota Prius V that has served me well 7 years with zero major issue.
I recently just got my 2018 Pacifica after owning a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan that lasted 12 years 157,000 miles. With no major issues. I'm hopeful this one will last that long.
BTW, The engine and transmission still worked perfectly but the van was rusting away to the point it could not pass my state inspection.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Grand Caravan is MUCH less complex than a Pacifica. The issues with the Pacifica are largely (not completely) electronic in nature.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
13 Posts
Grand Caravan is MUCH less complex than a Pacifica. The issues with the Pacifica are largely (not completely) electronic in nature.
Agreed, any modern vehicle is more complex then one that is 13 years old. I'm just hopeful that's all.
I avoided getting the 2017 model because it was the first year of production and did not have Apple Carplay / Android Auto.

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
68 Posts
As usual I have to challenge this. Its not just problems in these threads, every published measure for reliability rates the Pacifica, and other FCA products, at or near the bottom. I just got my second Pacifica to replace my very trouble prone 2017 model so I get it, its really the best minivan product available now and going to something thats rated higher means sacrificing a lot in features and design, but you can't sugar coat it. If you get a Pacifica you should be prepared for some reliability challenges.

I also have posted on many other car forums over the years, and the number of issues posted here is extremely high for a vehicle the oldest of which is only 4 years old. Also remember issues posted in this subforum are posted off topic, you also need to look at the problems subforum.

Hopefully you have none, or they are very minor...but you shouldn't expect perfection like you would in say a Toyota. If my 2020 suffers one or two failures a year I would be satisfied, where if my Lexus suffered one or two failures a year I would be really unhappy. My 2017 was in the shop at least every other month.

It really wasn't hard. These things don't fly off the lot, 2021s are coming with a refresh and car dealers are hurting right now. I was at the dealer for maybe 40 minutes, didnt even shop it around.
Steve, that’s a big exaggeration. The reputable, published reliability stats do not suggest that a Pacifica will have two troubles per year and a Toyota will be perfect. The difference in issues reported is not even 2x. If the “perfect” Toyota brand sees a trouble every 4 years, you may see one every 2 years. Is an extra dealer visit or 2 worth an extra $15k? To me, that’s about $14,500 too much. The rumor that Asian cars are bulletproof is a legend from the 80s. The Toyota has similar domestic content to FCA, and Subaru’s legendary Japanese reliability is now roughly the same as FCA. JD Powers rates Korean cars as the #1 and #2 brands. GM, Lincoln and Ford beat Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota, Nissan and Infinity.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Steve, that’s a big exaggeration. The reputable, published reliability stats do not suggest that a Pacifica will have two troubles per year and a Toyota will be perfect. The difference in issues reported is not even 2x. If the “perfect” Toyota brand sees a trouble every 4 years, you may see one every 2 years. Is an extra dealer visit or 2 worth an extra $15k? To me, that’s about $14,500 too much. The rumor that Asian cars are bulletproof is a legend from the 80s. The Toyota has similar domestic content to FCA, and Subaru’s legendary Japanese reliability is now roughly the same as FCA. JD Powers rates Korean cars as the #1 and #2 brands. GM, Lincoln and Ford beat Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota, Nissan and Infinity.
I didnt say any of that. What I said was published reliability stats suggest that an FCA product, and specifically the Pacifica are some of the lowest rated products in the industry insofar as reliability is concerned. That means that statistically you are certainly more likely to have issues with a Pacifica, or other FCA product than you are a vehicle that is more highly rated. Thats just common sense. There is no factual argument that FCA vehicles, or the Pacifica specifically have a good track record for reliability. When someone is shopping for this vehicle they need to be aware of that, hearing people explain away issues as "just people complaining on a forum" doesnt help them make a educated decision...because it clearly is not true.

Nothing is "bulletproof" but reliability data clearly shows some vehicles are more reliable than others, and a Chrysler product is on the low end of the scale, and a Toyota product is on the high end of the scale. I never said anything about any vehicles source of parts or country of origin or manufacture.

Not going through what I went through with my 2017 Pacifica is ABSOLUTELY worth $15,000. I wouldn't even hesitate to make that statement. Its not "an extra dealer visit or 2" my 2017 was off the road and at the dealer for 6 weeks of the 2.5 years I had it. It was at the dealer on average every other month. Your time and aggravation may only be worth "$500" as you said but mine is worth way more to me. Given my experience I would absolutely not buy an early Pacifica, I would want at the oldest a 2019.

Bear in mind, I did replace it with another Pacifica. So I agree, this is an excellent minivan and getting something else would mean sacrifices in several areas, but it would mean smaller likelihood of reliability issues. Prospective buyers need to understand that and decide for themselves. I do not expect a problem free experience with my 2020, I expect it to have to go into the shop for a warranty repair once or twice a year , hopefully thats all and that would be a big improvement over my 2017. Nobody who chooses a Pacifica should expect a trouble free experience, they are just setting themselves up for disappointment. If I had gotten a Sienna, I would expect it to be pretty trouble free.

Reactions: Lipster and AndyT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you looked at Carvanna? I own a touring L Plus we love it, I have a cargo liner in the back so I don't have that probl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

My family has outgrown my 2013 Prius V. So looking to join the Pacfica family.

I am going through a purchase with carmax for this 2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus with 18,000 miles:
- https://www.carmax.com/car/19172212

With Original Windows Sticker:
- https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C4RC1EGXJR260553
Don't do it
Use Cars.com instead Look for an off lease
I got a 2018 Limited in 2018 with 10k miles for $31,500 It was still in its first year so I got new car financing at a credit union and the 7 year extended bumper to bumper for $1700
I found one at an non Chrysler dealer and then found a similar one at a Chrysler (there were a bunch on the market with the same window sticker as they came off rental ) and had them match the price and it was Certified Pre-owned
2 years with no trouble except a warranty replaced battery

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
68 Posts
...but you shouldn't expect perfection like you would in say a Toyota. If my 2020 suffers one or two failures a year I would be satisfied, where if my Lexus suffered one or two failures a year I would be really unhappy. .........
You did say that.

Hey, I understand the bad experience you had with your 2017 Pacifica. Still, JD Powers rates 2017 Chrysler, Toyota and Lexus about average. No cars are perfect. Many people continue to assume that all foreign cars are more reliable than domestic which is untrue.

Here are JD Powers 2017 new car problem stats by mfr:

Kia : 72
Genesis: 77
Porsche: 78
Ford: 86
Ram: 86

BMW: 88
Chevrolet: 88
Hyundai: 88
Lincoln: 92
Nissan: 93
Volkswagen: 93
MINI: 94
Buick: 95
Toyota: 95

INDUSTRY AVERAGE: 97
Lexus: 98
GMC: 99
Chrysler: 102

Mercedes-Benz: 102
Acura: 103
Cadillac: 105
Honda - 105
Dodge: 106
Infiniti: 107
Jeep: 107
Subaru: 113
Audi: 115
Mazda: 125
Land Rover: 131
Mitsubishi: 131
Volvo: 134
Jaguar: 148
Fiat: 163

Lexus was only 4% better than Chrysler, and Toyota about 7% better. This is hardly significant. Chrysler beat Honda, Infinity, Subaru, Audi and Volvo, sitting roughly midpack with Lexus and Toyota. The JD Powers stats for Chrysler are better for 2019 models, and I'm sure 2020 and up will fare even better because they are further improving the vehicle through ongoing design tweaks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

My family has outgrown my 2013 Prius V. So looking to join the Pacfica family.

I am going through a purchase with carmax for this 2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus with 18,000 miles:
- https://www.carmax.com/car/19172212

With Original Windows Sticker:
- https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C4RC1EGXJR260553

Optioned with:
  • Handsfree sliding door
  • 8 passenger seat
  • Keysense
  • Spare tire kit
Price is $28,000 non-negotiable (as you probably know with Carmax).
- Similarly spec'ed brand new 2020s seem to go for ~$33,500 (20% off MSRP of $42,000; so about 5.5k savings).

My concerns are:
1. The rear liner from the cargo came off (this happened 2 other pacificas at carmax I've seen), what's the deal/fix?
2. Does this car qualify for the Zeigler extended warranty? (Considering the $100 deductible with 8 years + 100k miles; cost about $2,300)
3. The keysense and a pair of remote/headphone is missing. Are they easily replacable?

What do you think of the price, is this a good deal? Fair deal? Or please share any thought you have!

I haven't heard of much issues with the 2018 model on this forum (2017 seems to have way more problems).
I love the style and features of the Pacifica. But Chrysler is not exactly known for not breaking down... so I want to hear what everyone think about the 2018s, and especially my purchase of this car.
Hertz is just as good as CarMax with a track record of regular care and 12 months of coverage. The only downside is black heat absorbing seats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Hertz is just as good as CarMax with a track record of regular care and 12 months of coverage. The only downside is black heat absorbing seats.
Couple issues with Hertz:
1. Hertz has special batch order with Chrysler with lower manufacturing quality and labor care. Scotty explained this in one of his youtube videos:

2. Some of Hertz cars could have once been registered as "Commercial" (though most of them are "rental" classified). These Pacifica do not qualify for Zeigler extended warranty - deal breaker!

3. They have their own shops and business insurance (as opposed to car insurance) - what this means is they have the resources to hide incidents and issues from carfax or reporting agencies.

4. Users of rental car are a lot more abusive than a users who lease a car. But when listed to the market they're valued nearly the same (with Hertz often outpricing carmax from what I've seen)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Agree with most points (but to be honest, that guy in video- sounds like a dope head) :D. If you want to buy the car, get and VIN and check with Zeigler. Ask them to run the VIN to see if it would qualify for the warranty.
If video screens are important to you, and the available cars don’t have it, then you can consider the roof mounted option from Mopar. The only disadvantage is that you cannot fully control it from Uconnect screen upfront. If you really like the car then you should do a hard bargain from the dealership.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You did say that.

Hey, I understand the bad experience you had with your 2017 Pacifica. Still, JD Powers rates 2017 Chrysler, Toyota and Lexus about average. No cars are perfect. Many people continue to assume that all foreign cars are more reliable than domestic which is untrue.

Here are JD Powers 2017 new car problem stats by mfr:

Lexus was only 4% better than Chrysler, and Toyota about 7% better. This is hardly significant. Chrysler beat Honda, Infinity, Subaru, Audi and Volvo, sitting roughly midpack with Lexus and Toyota. The JD Powers stats for Chrysler are better for 2019 models, and I'm sure 2020 and up will fare even better because they are further improving the vehicle through ongoing design tweaks
You are looking at the wrong measure. That is IQS, Initial Quality Study which is not a reliability measure, its a "satisfaction" measure with a new car within the first 100 days of ownership. How do you like the cupholders, etc. What you need to look at is their VDS, Vehicle Dependability Study. This is the 2020 VDS (this looks at 2017 vehicles 3 years later):

As you can see, Chrysler is second from the bottom, FAR worse than Lexus or Toyota (in fact over/nearly twice as many problems reported per 100 cars), and FAR below average. ALL FCA brands are below average, Chrysler being the worst and most of Chrysler's numbers are specifically the Pacifica since they only have two models.

Like I said before, Chrysler does not have a track record of making reliable cars. Full stop. If you buy a car from a company on the upper end of this list you will have less likelihood of having failures and repairs vs a Chrysler. Full stop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will throw in my opinion.

Frankly, I simply go with my experience. Have owned Chrysler products going back to the days of the 70’s Plymouth Fury, then a Plymouth Reliant, Dodge Neon, and Rams. I’ve never had a gas engine failure, no transmission failure and no systems failures (AC, electrical, brakes, body, etc.) so I stick with what I know, not what I see in a survey Or read in a forum.

Yes, I lost two Ecodiesel engines back when they were introduced but that was because FCA bought the junk engines in the first place and should have walked away when they first saw them.

And I’m one of those who never completes a survey other than the initial purchase survey...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts