2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
71 Posts
Chrysler is second from the bottom, FAR worse than Lexus or Toyota (in fact over/nearly twice as many problems reported per 100 cars), and FAR below average. ALL FCA brands are below average, Chrysler being the worst and most of Chrysler's numbers are specifically the Pacifica since they only have two models.

Like I said before, Chrysler does not have a track record of making reliable cars. Full stop. If you buy a car from a company on the upper end of this list you will have less likelihood of having failures and repairs vs a Chrysler. Full stop.
And as I posted in my original reply, the difference in reliability between Toyota and Chrysler is 2x. This means roughly 2x more dealer visits. That does not equate to 2 visits per year for a Pacifica and NONE for a "perfect" Toyota lol. That is a gross exaggeration. If a Toyota never breaks, the Pacifica won't either...2x0=0

·
Registered
653 Posts
And as I posted in my original reply, the difference in reliability between Toyota and Chrysler is 2x. This means roughly 2x more dealer visits. That does not equate to 2 visits per year for a Pacifica and NONE for a "perfect" Toyota lol. That is a gross exaggeration. If a Toyota never breaks, the Pacifica won't either...2x0=0
I never said that, you're again putting words in my mouth. I said what MY EXPECTATION for MY 2020 PACIFICA is. I expect to have to put it in the shop once or twice a year for some repair. My point was, if you buy a Chrysler you should expect to deal with some reliability related repairs through its life. You should not expect a problem free experience. Its just math, you are twice as likely to experience issues with a Chrysler than a Toyota, as per these numbers. You may very well experience no issues...but you're also twice as likely to experience no issues in a Toyota than a Chrysler. Again, its math.

The key to being satisfied with a vehicle, or anything else, is realistic expectations. My expectations are different for my Pacifica than they are for my Lexus based on each manufacturer's track records and my own experience. I have owned 3 FCA vehicles in the past 9 years (not counting my 2020 which only has 180 miles on it) and two of them were terribly unreliable. I have owned 7 Lexus/Toyota vehicles in the past 20 years and while there have been issues in that time, nothing even approaching what I experienced with those two problematic FCA vehicles. In fact, I have had Lexus/Toyota vehicles that were in the shop for repairs less in 200,000 miles than either of those vehicles were in 30,000 miles. I keep records, and I went back and counted. So, reliability history published by third party sources and my own experience set my expectations. If my Pacifica is in the shop twice a year for repairs, I will be satisfied. If its 6+ times like my 2017, I'm going to be pissed...but not surprised. At the end of the day I chose to buy one of the lowest rated vehicles in the industry for reliability, and thats the chance I took.

As you said, nothing is problem free...but the facts are Chryslers are some of the lowest rated vehicles made for reliability. Thats just a fact. When deciding to buy one, that should be something you take into consideration and adjust your expectations accordingly. You guys trying to explain away reliability data to people deciding what vehicle to choose isn't doing anybody any benefit. Let people look at the data and make informed choices.

Bringing this back to the OP, what does this mean? There is evidence that 2019 and 2020 Pacificas are less problematic than 2017 and 2018 Pacificas. CR rates the 2019 a step higher in predicted reliability than the 2017 and 2018. So, I would pay extra and get the newest Pacifica you can, because that will lessen the likelihood that you will have significant issues. You don't want to be saddled with a van like I had in my 2017.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
347 Posts
Please stop with the posts on JD Power ratings. We have seen these in the past and they do not need to be repeated every time. As you can see they bring up heated discussions that are not useful in helping the potential buyer and take the thread way off topic.

Also, those ratings are based on percentages of owners that actually reply to the surveys. Just like these forums, you always get more noise from those with problems than those that are fortunate enough to be able to just go merrily on their way with no issues.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not sure how we can give new members advice about purchases without being allowed to post reliability ratings. New posters don’t go back and see all of the old posts.

The statistical limitations apply to manufacturers with higher ratings too.

As I said before, pretending that there aren’t reliability issues here doesn’t help prospective purchasers. All points of view allow people to make the right decisions for them. You can post your own positive experience without saying that the reliability data is bunk and that people who have problems are just complainers.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
347 Posts
How about this. Instead of multiple threads getting off track, how about you choose one of your posts with the stats you wish to present and just link to that post. Hopefully that way the new thread will be able to stay on track.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Not sure how we can give new members advice about purchases without being allowed to post reliability ratings. New posters don’t go back and see all of the old posts.

The statistical limitations apply to manufacturers with higher ratings too.

As I said before, pretending that there aren’t reliability issues here doesn’t help prospective purchasers. All points of view allow people to make the right decisions for them. You can post your own positive experience without saying that the reliability data is bunk and that people who have problems are just complainers.
No Steve. The number of post you have devoted to complaining is out of line. You are no longer informing prospective buyers, you are just a kvetcher complaining about your personal experience over and over again. I am not sure what your real motive here is, but it does not appear to be the wide eyed good Samaritan you claim (I do have my suspicions, as I'm sure others do also).

Does it not occur to you that some of us may wonder why no one else devotes so many of their post to warning others of the pitfalls of purchasing a Pacifica? Are you really the only Good Guy saving others from folly? You then repeat your folly and buy another Pacifica and start a new complaint about how inferior the a/c is to all the other vehicles you have owned (another source of my above mentioned suspicions). Think about how this appears. Or maybe you don't care, because of your real motive?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I respect your viewpoint, but I don’t agree, nor do others that have posted in my defense. When someone posts asking for advice about buying a Pacifica, I’m going to give them my advice. You give them your advice and they can make a decision for themselves.

If you and others would spend less time trying to convince me that my viewpoint is wrong...just let me say my peace and ignore me.

The fact that I bought another Pacifica should show you I like the vehicle, but there are drawbacks. I can like the vehicle without thinking everything about it is perfect. If my 2020 is better than my 2017 I will be a happy camper, but that’s not going to change my advice to people that they shouldnt buy an early model Pacifica, and should expect some issues with any Pacifica

41 - 47 of 47 Posts