2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

The 2020 Pacifica is my wife's first car with CarPlay, she loves it but plugging in the phone every time is a hassle, I knew she'd get tired of it. I actually added a wireless CarPlay module to my Lexus and love it. So, I ordered her one of these CarPlay 2 Air wireless dongle kits to see how it would work

Set it up tonight, and so far it works great. The phone syncs up wirelessly right after the car is started up, doesn't seem to be any latency or lag, audio quality is great (wireless CarPlay uses WiFi not Bluetooth, so you dont have the music quality issue you have with Bluetooth). One of the real drawbacks to wireless CarPlay is there isn't an easy way to switch between phone users, the car kind of chooses a phone and just connects to it. The adapter has a USB input also, so we left the cord plugged into that and when I drive it I just plug in and it overrides her phone and goes to mine. When I unplug it syncs back up to hers.

Will update this thread once we have some hours of use and let everybody know how it works out.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus
22 Posts
Been using CarPlay2Air in my 2018 since October And it is great.
I initially had issues with it connecting but after trial and error discovered that If the Bluetooth connected to the car before the adapter it would take a really long time. I unpaired my phone from the car so it would only find the adaptor and all my problems went away.

Best upgrade I have done the car.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah seems to work extremely well...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday, have used it twice. Syncs well, usually within 15 seconds of starting the car, and everything has functioned as before when the connection was wired. I did use the Bluetooth connection as opposed to WiFi. Very happy so far!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday, have used it twice. Syncs well, usually within 15 seconds of starting the car, and everything has functioned as before when the connection was wired. I did use the Bluetooth connection as opposed to WiFi. Very happy so far!
It uses both Wifi and Bluetooth. The Bluetooth connection adds the WIFI signal automatically. It is not one or the other.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It uses both Wifi and Bluetooth. The Bluetooth connection adds the WIFI signal automatically. It is not one or the other.
Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ours continues to work well

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey all-

The 2020 Pacifica is my wife's first car with CarPlay, she loves it but plugging in the phone every time is a hassle, I knew she'd get tired of it. I actually added a wireless CarPlay module to my Lexus and love it. So, I ordered her one of these CarPlay 2 Air wireless dongle kits to see how it would work

Set it up tonight, and so far it works great. The phone syncs up wirelessly right after the car is started up, doesn't seem to be any latency or lag, audio quality is great (wireless CarPlay uses WiFi not Bluetooth, so you dont have the music quality issue you have with Bluetooth). One of the real drawbacks to wireless CarPlay is there isn't an easy way to switch between phone users, the car kind of chooses a phone and just connects to it. The adapter has a USB input also, so we left the cord plugged into that and when I drive it I just plug in and it overrides her phone and goes to mine. When I unplug it syncs back up to hers.

Will update this thread once we have some hours of use and let everybody know how it works out.
This is Awesome info! I work in the auto industry and will definitely share this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only Cover Your Chrysler Pacifica With A Factory Backed Chrysler Extended Warranty.
Buy Direct And Save Chrysler Factory Warranty - Your #1 Source for Extended Coverage for Chrysler Vehicles

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey all-

On mine, when starting up the car cold with both iPhones in the vehicle, there’s a screen in the startup sequence that allows me to choose whether it’s mine or my wife’s that connects. Just thought I’d add that bit for anyone on the fence. It might not work after a brief shutdown and restart of the car, as in that case it seems to hold the connection and there’s no wait to get right back into CarPlay (a nice feature in and of itself!).

Reactions: sellr324

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting..I will try pairing mine and see if I get the same thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Someone mentioned it also has a usb connection. Has anyone tried using that to plus a wireless charger into? So I place the phone on the wireless charger and wirelessly use airplay?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Someone mentioned it also has a usb connection. Has anyone tried using that to plus a wireless charger into? So I place the phone on the wireless charger and wirelessly use airplay?
That is exactly what I do And works great. I use a very short USB and it all sits nicely in the slot to the Left of the USB for the radio.

·
Registered
404 Posts
That is exactly what I do And works great. I use a very short USB and it all sits nicely in the slot to the Left of the USB for the radio.
I hadn't thought of that! Always have hated how far the cable for my wireless charging holster has to travel. This is a great workaround for that. Thanks to you and @simonhughes for flagging it here!

·
Registered
22 Posts
@ProDJSteve Would you be able to share the wireless charger you use please? I would love to replicate the set up you have.
I am using a Morphie charging pad, but that is only because I had it already from an old battery case.

I have used some crafting foam to make a cradle for the components to keep everything in place.
Photos attached.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got an email that my CarPlay 2 has been shipped. When people say it uses WiFi is it from the phone or from the vans hot spot? I haven’t activated the hot spot because I don’t want to pay the monthly big bucks to ATT

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got an email that my CarPlay 2 has been shipped. When people say it uses WiFi is it from the phone or from the vans hot spot? I haven’t activated the hot spot because I don’t want to pay the monthly big bucks to ATT
It does not use the Hotspot in the car. It will connect to your phone’s Bluetooth first and then the Carplay2air will broadcast a WiFi signal which your phone will piggyback on.
I do not know the exact detail of how it works but they have split the communication between the two signals; maybe audio over Bluetooth and video over WiFi.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts