2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of the carplay2air adapters?? Chrysler isn't listed on the website but Jeep is so I'm hoping it also works.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This looks great! However for long trips it would need to be complemented with a wireless charging pad I imagine.

Plugging a cable is not too much of a hassle for me (except the occasional cable gremlins, see my other posts! :)), so I'm probably not the best prospect for this. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I received mine today. The king of procrastinators "ME" put off taking a chance and buying one for a few months. I should have done it sooner.

After doing an initial firmware upgrade the dongle just plain works! I love it! For short trips you just get in the van and start her up and the iPhone connects to the van while your phone is in your pocket. For longer trips I will use the wireless charger that I installed in the van a few months ago to keep the battery charged.

No more cables! I'm a happy guy.

Over the next few days I will give the dongle a real workout and I will keep track of battery and data usage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received mine today. The king of procrastinators "ME" put off taking a chance and buying one for a few months. I should have done it sooner.

After doing an initial firmware upgrade the dongle just plain works! I love it! For short trips you just get in the van and start her up and the iPhone connects to the van while your phone is in your pocket. For longer trips I will use the wireless charger that I installed in the van a few months ago to keep the battery charged.

No more cables! I'm a happy guy.

Over the next few days I will give the dongle a real workout and I will keep track of battery and data usage.
Woohoo! This makes me very happy. I ended up ordering the Carlinkit one on Amazon because a reviewer said it worked in their '19. The other forums say that the Carlinkit and Carplay2air dongles are the same so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does it work well with two phones?

Sometimes I drive the minivan and sometimes my wife does. Does it automatically detect and connect ?

How easy is it to switch between two phones?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Subscribed

·
Registered
40 Posts
This morning I went for short drive to do a little shopping and here is a rundown of what happened.
Got in the van, pushed the start button and within just a few seconds "Bingo" Carplay was active and on the vans screen.
Drove to the grocery store and everything looked and operated totally normal. Just like wired.
Went into the store,taking my phone with me, and when I returned to the van this time the screen in the van showed that I could select either my phone or my wife's phone.

She wasn't with me but before I could do anything, my phone was selected and Carplay appeared on the screen in the van.

I had to make a few stops on the way back home so I asked Siri for directions. Siri responded as expected and I started driving to the destination. I did notice a very slight, and I do mean slight delay with the directions from Siri. Cellular reception was pretty bad in that area so that could easily be the issue.Also my phone is running a beta version of iOS so all bets are off.

While driving and listening to iHeart radio, looking at the nav, and Siri's directions, I sent the wife a message using iMessage. She (and Siri) responded totally normally.

I also made a few phone calls and once again..............totally normal, no echo and good audio.

Later today if time permits, I will see what happens when the wife and I both get in the van at the same time as well as her first etc.

I also want to see if the controls on the steering wheel work with CarPlay as I have never used them before.

The way the system seems to work goes like this:

Your phone is paired using Bluetooth to the Carplay2air dongle but that is only used to do the initial connection as you get in the van.
Once the connection is made, the Bluetooth drops out and a hidden wifi signal is generated by the Carplay2air dongle and your phone connects to that disconnecting and other wifi that you may have been connected to.

At least in my case, data for Carplay etc is now provided by the cellular provider. Not sure what will happen with someone that has a data connection in the van.

The instruction sheet for the dongle leaves alot to be desired. Small print and not a very good translation BUT the dongle works and seems to work just fine.

So far I am still a very happy camper.!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for the update. I am also curious to see if steering wheel controls work properly, but thanks for the detailed info so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Over the past few days I have continued to experiment with the Carplay2air dongle.
I can confirm that the steering wheel controls continue to work and that the very minor delay that I noticed disappeared with the latest update from Apple (13.4 beta)

It will be interesting to see what happens if and when the radio in the van gets updated from software version 22.5 to 28.5 or better as per the recall that the dealer has been unable to do as the software is not available yet.

The dongle normally hooks up quite fast IF there is only one pre-authorized phone in range. If the wife and I get in the van at the same time with both phones, there is a delay of about 15 seconds and then the last used phone connects.
Just once it got confused and I had to select which phone to connect to as the dongle seemed to get stuck on the connection menu.

The folks at Carplay2air have said that there is a firmware upgrade pending in the next few days so I will see what that is all about.

The preliminary total data usage has not produced any surprises as it seems to be about the same as a wired connection.
A couple of hours driving around with maps, music, phone and messages has only used a couple of hundred megabytes. So far i haven't noticed any excessive battery drain on the phone either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet. The Carlinkit version is arriving today. I'll update this thread with my experiences. Macrumors forums seem to agree that the two are the same but I suppose we'll see. How can I check the Uconnect version in the van? I'll see if I'm on 22.5 or 28.5.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also checked the Uconnect web site to check if I could download the latest update. Surprise! The web site says I am up to date. Looks like the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.

·
Super Moderator
709 Posts
  1. Touch Nav to open the navigation menus.
  2. Touch Settings.
  3. Touch System.
  4. Touch About.
I haven't tried it but this is how to do it according to Mr. Google.
Is this what you're looking for?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my Carlinkit adapter the other day. It's pretty interesting how it works. It seems to be running some sort of embedded OS on device that handles the handshake, then switches to Carplay. I had to update the firmware to get it to finish the handshake with my phone. It works pretty well, most of the time. There are a couple little quirks about it though that are mildly concerning. The first is that if I go into reverse before it has finished connecting, the device somehow hijacks the Uconnect feed and instead of showing the surround cameras, it will show the "connecting..." screen. Then, when I switch back to drive, it'll force the screen into the surround camera feed and for some reason I can't exit that feed unless I restart the entire van. Entirely bizarre. I wait for it to finish connecting before I drive off now. The second is that it doesn't connect automatically sometimes and I have to get my phone out and connect to it in the Bluetooth menu. That's not a terribly big deal though as it has only happened twice. But when it does work, it's really good. It usually connects very fast (~5-10s) and I can even use "Hey Siri" with it (although I think it's the phone mics picking up the trigger, not the van). I still haven't checked my Uconnect version yet. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, and it's so much nicer being on the Carplay interface than the Uconnect. It seems like the developers release new firmware frequently so hopefully the bugs get ironed out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same issue with the backup camera happen twice just yesterday. In my case the first time it happened it corrected itself a few moments later. The second time I just pushed the CarPlay button on the Uconnect screen and it went away.

The "Connecting" issue has happened as well but has always cleared by itself before I get to the end of our driveway.

I am not sure if this is a Uconnect issue or a CarPlay2air issue as the firmware upgrade has not arrived for either yet.

I did find another little quirk. If as a passenger you use the phone that is connected to Carplay to watch a YouTube video, the audio from the video plays thru the car stereo and the video is on the phone. This is quite nice but due to the delay in Bluetooth (probably version 2) that's built into Uconnect, the video and audio are out of sync by about a second.

Still very pleased to be "Wireless"!

·
Registered
13 Posts
is there and android version of this? i use android auto for maps, but if i want to use my usb flash drive at the same time, i'm s-o-l.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts