2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don't have a place to keep our van inside so it sits outside at night. When we're charging snow/ice can get inside the charging area because the door (obviously) is open.
This has led to us being unable to close the charging cover (hopefully whatever is blocking it from closing will thaw out sometime in May).

I have tried a couple of homemade port covers, but nothing I can make can really seal that area off from the elements.

Anyone else having these issues and how are you dealing with it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes, we're the same with parking outside and yes it has been an issue at times over 2 winters.

In freezing rain or if it's forecast we now don't charge - not worth the battle. That's the worst as it gums up the area inside the charge port where the hing goes and it's all plastic...

If it's just snow it hasn't been a huge issue. We get in there and dig it out with a finger before closing if we have to.

Sometimes when something is built up a little in there and we can't dig it out easy we will close the flap but not force it to latch all the way just so we can get on our way. That hasn't caused an issue yet.

I'm on the lookout for a commercially available cover. I saw one somewhere when cruising the interwebs but forgot where. I will be trying to hunt it down again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With some careful planning (charge early) and cleaning, we haven't had a ton of issues with the door. But I did leave for a week and my in-laws mentioned this was a problem. So without some consideration, yeah you could have problems closing the flap. Or worst removing the connector. I've heard people using old golf club covers, and I thought about buying a snowmobile handle bar muffs. But I've been okay so far

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also experiencing snow getting trapped inside charging port and the flap couldn't close because of that. I bought this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chrysler-Pacifica-PHEV-Port-Snow-cover/273619764418?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Not bad, but not completely sealed.

You could also stuff a hand cloth inside the port once the connector is plugged and it's gonna prevent snow from getting inside the port.
That's the cover I had seen and couldn't remember where. I intend to try that one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts