2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pacifica recently developed an aversion to charging on my home L2 charger. In diagnosing this, I noticed that the plug on the charger and the charging port on the car have matching scorch marks on one particular pin, and the tip of the car's charging pin looks bent.

I have no idea how one bends a charging pin, but my guess is that because it's bent, it caused arcing between the charger and the car, gradually blackening both pins and making the connection problems progressively worse. But that's just my theory.

I've taken the Pacifica to two different Chrysler places, and even though the charge-port pin is visibly messed up, all they seem able to do is plug the car into their charger and tell me that it charges ok there, which doesn't help if the damage is long-term.

Has anyone had a problem like this?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My home charger is a JuiceBox 40. Their support pulled telemetry from my charger and said they were getting lots of fault indicators that were common on pacificas and advised me to check with the dealer. They also swapped out my charger just in case that was the cause. Super happy with Juicebox support btw.

I took the vehicle to a different dealer. They checked it for recalls and sent me home. Charge port is still scary looking so I stood over the guy to ensure they actually looked. He admitted it was weird., so we hunted down another pacifica and compared the ports.

So it appears that the pin might not actually be burnt - - there's black material on some of the pins normally from the factory. But the bentness he had no explanation for (or a fix).

Plugging the car into the new charger and it seems to be charging normally.

However I'm still concerned that the pins might indicate damage that could cause damage over time. Is there a way to monitor the vehicle's charging for anomalies?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts