2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Pacifica. I do not have a enclosed garage so i park my car in my driveway, My question is can i change my pacifica Hybrid EV using a level 1 charger during rain/ snow? The wall outlet is in a covered space - so water will not seep there. But the charger connecting to the vehicle is out in the open.

Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Administrator
2,378 Posts
Yes, you can charge. The charger is nothing more than a fancy switch, that will not turn on until all safety conditions are satisfied. When you connect the plug to the van, the charger tests for the possible faults and applies the power only if it is safe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I park in my driveway and charge with the included level 1 charger in all weather. So far no issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just curious if above posters who are charging outdoors are still successful after all this time...

Just drove home my hybrid yesterday!..yay,me!..but I, too, keep my car exposed to all elements and run the cord indoors to plug in. I was nervous last night because it was raining so hard but all good this morning. Just wanted to confirm with others that this method is okay for all components and I can continue to charge this way despite the weather. thx

·
Registered
275 Posts
The biggest annoyance I've had with charging outside is snow / ice buildup at the door making it difficult to close. Haven't had any other issues with it.

Charger is plugged in inside the garage and chord is ran under the garage door to the van that is outside.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Agree with @PPLMVR, snow and ice will make closing the door difficult otherwise I haven't had any issues. I have had to unplug the cable from the wall on several occasions due to a charging error but that had nothing to do with the weather.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes, this is absolutely fine. It's designed to be charged in all weather conditions so nothing will be damaged and there's no safety risk.

Because this is the internet someone may point out that it's not a good idea to charge the van in a tornado, during a category 5 hurricane or if it's fully submerged in flood waters. Other than that, you're good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, you can charge. The charger is nothing more than a fancy switch, that will not turn on until all safety conditions are satisfied. When you connect the plug to the van, the charger tests for the possible faults and applies the power only if it is safe.
To add to this.. This is why sometimes people see charging faults and stuff when they plug their vans in. They must securely "click" it together. It took my wife a little getting used to. Had to explain that she has to hear it "click" on the connector and you'll hear something in the van make a loud click as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.