2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone measured the power required to charge a depleted battery? I'll be curious to know how much additional power our bill will show.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks like 12-13kwh to charge based on that thread. If it's a 16kwh battery, is there a reason why it's not 15-16kwh?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We took our first somewhat longer trip on Sunday with a mix of city and highway driving with more highway than city. A gas Pacifica is rated at 22mpg so at the average gas price here of $2.50, that's just over $0.11/miles. On Sunday, we got 25 miles out of the battery before it was depleted so with a power charge of $0.14.kwr, the cost per mile was just over 7 cents per miles, not an enormous savings but hopefully it will add up over time.
It remains to be seen how accurate the gas engine ratings are. On our Camry hybrid, the warmer weather ratings of 39/41 were pretty accurate but as with all cars, the cold weather took a toll.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In Massachusetts our electricity is very expensive so there is not much of a cost saving over using gas. When I saw my electric bill jump up it prompted me to go solar and put up enough panels to cover my house and car needs. About 3/4 of my mileage is electric so I tell friends I get 1600 miles per tank! In my case I put up 36 panels - It is nice to see zero electric bills. If you do this do it early in the year so the credit you get carry you through winter with reduced sunshine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts