2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a trip yesterday that we've done several times before. During one of the previous trips, I made note of where the battery was down to >1%. which was about 35 miles. Yesterday the battery was about 4 miles short of where it took us before. I realize there are a number of variables that determine the battery range but we drove the same route, no AC and the same speed. I told my wife it's as if we started out with somewhat less of a full charge regardless of the 100% on the readout. One more note was that the van hadn't been driven for 5 or 6 days.
Today, once it was done with Level 1 charging, I moved it. The readout said 100% but the thing that puzzled me was that it said it was 22 minutes until charging was complete. Is there some topping off charge that isn't reflected in the reading that didn't get done today or is there something else I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
244 Posts
If I’m not mistaken the last 10 minutes is a slow slow charge . I could be mistaken but have never charged with level 1 unit before .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Most likely it is related to:
1) Climate control. There is a difference between AC on/off and climate control on/off. Note the heater actually draws much more power than the AC. You can see these power draw differences with the hybrid display.
2) There is a very significantly increased power draw between 65 and 75 mph. Again you can see this with the hybrid displays.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most likely it is related to:
1) Climate control. There is a difference between AC on/off and climate control on/off. Note the heater actually draws much more power than the AC. You can see these power draw differences with the hybrid display.
2) There is a very significantly increased power draw between 65 and 75 mph. Again you can see this with the hybrid displays.
I am aware of the difference that speed makes but this is a two lane road where I'd be hard pressed to exceed 60 and most of the time we were going 50.
It was a little cool that morning so we may have been using the heater and the power associated with it more than we realized.
We do have a steep driveway of about 150' and I remember seeing the display showing 98% at the top of the driveway which I thought was low.

·
Registered
400 Posts
We took a trip yesterday that we've done several times before. During one of the previous trips, I made note of where the battery was down to >1%. which was about 35 miles. Yesterday the battery was about 4 miles short of where it took us before. I realize there are a number of variables that determine the battery range but we drove the same route, no AC and the same speed. I told my wife it's as if we started out with somewhat less of a full charge regardless of the 100% on the readout. One more note was that the van hadn't been driven for 5 or 6 days.
Today, once it was done with Level 1 charging, I moved it. The readout said 100% but the thing that puzzled me was that it said it was 22 minutes until charging was complete. Is there some topping off charge that isn't reflected in the reading that didn't get done today or is there something else I'm not aware of?
Wind speed and direction can influence your fuel efficiency sometimes dramatically.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is there some topping off charge that isn't reflected in the reading that didn't get done today or is there something else I'm not aware of?
I think you're on to something. 100% is not absolute. It may say 100%, but your actual state of charge could be different each time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If it's anything like other lithium battery tech you will not have a truly accurate SOC % reading. My bro asked me the other day how to monitor SOC for a lithium battery he installed in his RV. Down the rabbit hole I went and found out that it can't be measured perfectly. The technology can get close but not perfect. Think about your experience with cell phone batteries, laptop batteries etc. How often does the percent SOC shown consistently give you the performance you anticipate? Some of that performance difference is due to actual battery life reductions through cycling (charge-discharge), but a part of it comes from these systems estimating SOC based on prior experience. In this case the acronym YMMV really does hold true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Paxford
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing