2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Child Seat in 2nd Row Middle?

28K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  4under6 
#1 ·
Has anyone with an 8 passenger tried putting a child seat in the 2nd row middle position? It has latch capabilities, so I have no doubt that a car seat would fit there. But I'm thinking that it would probably overlap the two seats next to it, thereby preventing them from moving forward to allow access to the 3rd row. Can anyone confirm?

#3 ·
That's what I was afraid of. I have a Britax Boulevard carseat, which is fairly large. Not sure how easy it would be to have it positioned a little to one side without blocking the latch anchors. I was also hoping to keep both outboard 2nd row seats available for the older kids to sit in, which may not be comfortable with the Britax in the middle.

#5 ·
Thanks for the insight. It sounds like I'll likely have to wait until we move to a booster seat to really be able to use that middle seat.

#6 ·
We have three across on the 2nd row, two outboard are the Recaro pro rides and the middle is the britax b safe infant seat with the click in base. The base works well there in the middle, tried the Recaro in the middle and like others have said it will interfere with the tilt up seats. As it is, I need to offset the outboard seats towards the doors so the infant seat will click in. I would gladly give up the Sto and go for seats like the odyssey that shift outboard to give more space between the seats, but you can't win em all and my boys will be outgrowing the seats sooner or later. Definitely like the 8 passenger set up though. We've already had a handful of trips that maxed out the seating capacity. I figure I can always remove the middle of I want the pass through. And I'm not a sunroof fan, so no loss there.

#7 ·
Hello all,
I reached this forum as I was searching for the second row middle seat capability.
In my tour of dealers I asked the question and both dealers I dealt with told me the following: "Chrysler does not recommend putting a car seat in the second row middle seat. Being a removable seat it will not be safe". However I see the anchors on the back and all the necessary features so it got me thinking.

Thoughts?

#8 ·
Chrysler does not recommend putting a car seat in the second row middle seat. Being a removable seat it will not be safe
This is another example of a salesperson just making stuff up. If Chrysler didn't think it was safe for that seat to hold a child seat, there would be warnings all over it and they certainly wouldn't have gone through the trouble of adding LATCH to it, which has no purpose other than to do that very thing.

#11 ·
I just came across this thread after posting my experience with three rear facing child seats. So you can read my other thread if anyone is interested.

In Short, I have three Diono RXT and they fit three on the 2nd row easily if I wanted to but I decided to stow one seat and put the third seat in the back row. I had 2x the Boulevard before the third kid arrived but each one eats into the space of the seat next to it so sold them and got 3 x Diono.

Regarding the safety of LATCHing a car seat to the 8th seat, having been down under the seats looking for a place to attach the rear tether I can tell you that that seat is VERY solidly attached to the car. The salesmen must be thinking of a different model because the Pacifica 8th seat is solid and clearly designed for a child seat.

#12 ·
In Short, I have three Diono RXT and they fit three on the 2nd row easily
If you had just one of the Diono seats in the middle position in the 2nd row, would you still be able to tilt forward both of the two outboard 2nd row seats to access the 3rd row? Does the Diono overlap the outboard seats at all?

#14 ·
Thanks for giving that a try. I guess the Britax will have to sit in one of the outboard seats until we're ready to move to a booster.

#15 ·
I just tried this as well. it overlaps. My seats are 19 inch wide though. 17s should be ok.

#17 · (Edited)
What we would like to know is whether you can tilt both outboard seats forwards while the chicco is in the middle....?

I have a Graco infant seat which fits into a base in the middle. It’s a squeeze to tilt both outboard seats forwards when the infant seat is placed but it can be done. I generally tilt one seat at a time so that the infant seat has some wiggle room (and it wouldn’t damage my leather seats).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.