2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new alliance burgeoning between FCA and Peugeot-Citroen, what will be the fate of the laggard brand such as Chrysler? With essentially only two product lines, I think Chrysler nameplate will be retired and most likely the Pacifica will be seamlessly assimilated into the Dodge line up with 300 facing the axe. The refresh of 2021 Pacifica looks more Dodge like anyways. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Desoto, Mercury, Saturn, Saab, are all vehicles that are still around and selling well on the used car market.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
86 Posts
It's only a nameplate, but Jeep is the rugged brand, Dodge is the performance/budget brand, and Chrysler is the luxury name. Maybe Chryslers will be the all-electric brand in the near future, like Volvo's Polestar. In any case, will they change the overall group name from Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) to Fiat-Dodge-Jeep Autos (FDJA) or Fiat-Jeep-Dodge-Peugeot-Citroen Autos (FJDPCA)?

·
Registered
653 Posts
They already cancelled the 300, so not the Pacifica is the only Chrysler. Makes no sense to keep Chrysler around.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
269 Posts
They already cancelled the 300, so not the Pacifica is the only Chrysler. Makes no sense to keep Chrysler around.
Are you sure about this? FCA has flip flopped on this a couple times, but last I knew they're still making a 2021 model.

FCA put a lot of effort into telling people the Chrysler Pacifica is totally different from the old Town & Country and Dodge Caravan. The Pacifica is popular enough now that I think changing the name would be a very bad idea. A Dodge Pacifica just does doesn't have the same ring to it, and there's no way they call it a Caravan again.

I don't think the Chrysler brand is going anywhere. I think the Pacifica is successful enough to carry the brand on its own for a few years if necessary. This wouldn't be sustainable for too long though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you have something from FCA saying the 300 is cancelled?

Reactions: preed4962

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Do you have something from FCA saying the 300 is cancelled?
The only thing I've heard about this is something about using a new lighter platform in the future, maybe from Fiat or Peugeot. It may not be named the 300.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've read multiple articles about it being cancelled, but a quick Google doesnt show anything difinative.

One of the good things for Chrysler is their dealers are all Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram dealers, so its not like they have an infrastructure out there to support on just one model.

Reactions: preed4962

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
86 Posts
It's only a nameplate, but Jeep is the rugged brand, Dodge is the performance/budget brand, and Chrysler is the luxury name. Maybe Chryslers will be the all-electric brand in the near future, like Volvo's Polestar. In any case, will they change the overall group name from Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) to Fiat-Dodge-Jeep Autos (FDJA) or Fiat-Jeep-Dodge-Peugeot-Citroen Autos (FJDPCA)?
Quoting myself... to say "Stellantis" sounds like a star that fell to the bottom of the sea, or some new medication to treat VD.

Reactions: craig

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well its sounds better than FCA-PSA!

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
28 Posts
I think Chrysler is fine. The issue is the same Ford had with Lincoln: they were rebadged Fords. Chrysler used to do that with Plymouth and Dodge but the 300 and Charger definitely catered to different audiences. But I don't think the 300 is luxurious enough to truly separate itself from the Charger. If Chrysler can do more than badge engineer a Durango and call it the Aspen, they'll be fine. Look the Aviator and Explorer are extremely similar underneath but there will be very few people cross shopping them, even the platinum Explorer vs the base Aviator. That's what Chrysler needs to do.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As I understand Chrysler used to be considered a premium brand in its heyday, but over a decade of underinvestment has had its toll. I believe Chrysler has fallen way too downmarket to be considered equivalent to the luxury brands as Lincoln, Cadillac. It is simply a well rounded mainstream automaker at present. Having said that, I certainly don’t have a problem if anyone wants to consider Chrysler a luxury brand :D. The new management will need to really invest hard to make up for that deficiencies of the past and I don’t think they’ll have a stomach for spending that much for brand building from scratch.
Also just to add, I read recently that FCA Canada has decided to market the Chrysler voyager as “Chrysler Grand Caravan” as a value proposition in place of the “to be discontinued” Dodge Grand Caravan.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Badge engineering has been done by several manufacturers in the world, but the Americans did it the worst way in the last few decades. Several Cadillacs, Buicks, and Chevys were apparently indistinguishable unless you are really close enough. Same can be said about the erstwhile Chrysler, and Ford (who prostituted the Lincoln and Mercury brands) as well; that’s the reason Ford had such an uphill task in the last ten years to bring Lincoln up from the ghettos. Now Lincoln seems to be doing well, Cadillac so so. Honestly I don’t think Chrysler has even started the process to consider itself as a luxury brand. It simply has been on survival mode up until now, and once that issue has been settled (seems like it is finally happening now), they can look back and reflect where they want to go and how much work to be done. I hope Chrysler survives as “a” brand at least, if not a luxury one.

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
71 Posts
Unless a whole new line of premium electric vehicles are about to debut, FCA is trying too hard to keep Chrysler moniker alive. The whole minivan concept was spawned with Dodge and Plymouth nameplates. The Dodge Grand Caravan lifecycle was extended waaay too long, driven by budget-minded fanboy loyalists with their heads in the sand. I owned a 2008 Grand Caravan and know full well that the Pacifica chassis is superior in every way. In fact, the earlier GC vehicles were superior to the 2008-2020 GC shoebox. Compared to 2001-2007 chassis, it was less aerodynamic, uglier, handled worse and the interior space was smaller and less usable.

FCA should rebadge the Chrysler Pacifica as a Dodge by simply using the Pacifica, Grand Caravan, or Voyager name. The top of the line limited versions can be sold under any nameplate.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
FCA decided to make Dodge a sport and youth name plate, so a Dodge minivan is a non-starter. There are a couple of Fiat (and Peugeot) cars that could be rebadged and added to Dodge to fill out that line up. They need an upscale (not luxury) brand for that suburban market, and Chrysler fills that requirement. It needs an SUV or two in the line to fill it out (Town & Country would be a perfect name). I think they really need to resurrect the Plymouth name for low end minivans, and other compact rental market cars.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
653 Posts
I wouldn’t say a Dodge minivan is a non starter. They sold Dodge minivans for many, many years very successfully. I think the Pacifica could be labeled a Dodge no problem.

Reactions: craig and Bond007

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
71 Posts
The current thinking today is to consolidate and reduce brand count, not create more. Plymouth, Saturn, Olds and Mercury are dead, more shall follow. Chrysler can’t survive on one model, and Dodge will suffer without a minivan in their lineup for the first time in many decades. It’s a no-brainer cost cutting measure. FCA can meet the needs of USA customers thru Jeep, Dodge and Fiat.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you look at the refresh Pacifica, it has several dodge traits

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you look at the refresh Pacifica, it has several dodge traits
Exactly what I’ve been saying from the beginning post. The refreshed one’s grill is similar in styling to Dodge GC. I have a feeling that FCA / Stellantis is subconsciously directing customers to that direction so that there’s less of an outrage when Chrysler is finally discontinued.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yep, and the taillights especially are very Dodge.

Reactions: Bond007
1 - 20 of 40 Posts