2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total electrical failure while driving. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, all the gauges where cycling up and down, car was accelerating & braking by itself, engine was revving, gear shift was inoperable and changing gears by itself. When I stopped the vehicle I couldn't get it into park for about 10-15 minutes. Scary situation, had to have it flatbedded to the dealership. Total deathtrap! Waiting to hear back. Scary stuff! :eek::mad::cry:

Similar experience with the electrical system about a 1 1/2 years ago, took them weeks to figure it out and fix it, now it's happening again but only worse.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
662 Posts
Total electrical failure while driving. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, all the gauges where cycling up and down, car was accelerating & braking by itself, engine was revving, gear shift was inoperable and changing gears by itself. When I stopped the vehicle I couldn't get it into park for about 10-15 minutes. Scary situation, had to have it flatbedded to the dealership. Total deathtrap! Waiting to hear back. Scary stuff! :eek::mad::cry:

Similar experience with the electrical system about a 1 1/2 years ago, took them weeks to figure it out and fix it, now it's happening again but only worse.
That sounds pretty scary. Tell us more about your van and the situation.

What year?
What trim?
Hybrid or gas model?
Does it have the Uconnect Theater (dual rear screens) or Tow Package?
Are you still under warranty?
Do you know what they did last time to fix it?
Have the batteries ever been replaced?
Any outstanding recalls? (If unsure, click here and enter your VIN to find out).

·
Registered
685 Posts

Maybe the vehicle was remotely hacked?

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,311 Posts

Glad you are OK. Any idea of manufacture date? ESS?

If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What year?
What trim?
Hybrid or gas model?
Any outstanding recalls? (If unsure, click here and enter your VIN to find out).

What year?
What trim?
Hybrid or gas model?

Van is a 2017 Limited edition/gas model/no theater
Vehicle was modified for wheelchair accessibility/ramp.
We purchased an extended warranty with Careguard after the 3 year/36,000 mile that came with the vehicle.
Only 13,000-14,000 miles on the van (not sure exactly because it's at the dealership for repair now)
I believe the batteries were replaced 2 years ago.

Will ask the dealership to print me out a history of the repairs...I think they can do that.

Had to rent another handicapped accessible vehicle in the meantime for $500/week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you are OK. Any idea of manufacture date? ESS?

If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts.
Don't know the manufacturer date, or where to locate it.

How do I set up the signature. I don't seem to see an option for that.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
662 Posts
Don't know the manufacturer date, or where to locate it.

How do I set up the signature. I don't seem to see an option for that.
The manufacture date is printed on the build sticker located on the back side of the driver's door. To set up your signature, click on your avatar picture in the upper right corner > Account Settings > click on Signature in left pane.

Your low mileage indicates this vehicle isn't driven very often. This, in conjunction with modifications to make it handicapped-accessible will worsen battery issues unless it is kept on a battery tender.

If your vehicle has engine stop/start (ESS), the battery (or batteries) may have failed again, especially if they're Mopar batteries installed at a dealership. However, the batteries failing doesn't usually cause weird anomalies while the engine is running, but it has happened before. I suspect the PCM's software not being up to date may be the root cause of the anomalies in conjunction with weak batteries, but it's just a hunch based on the long list of codes included in the attached TSB.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
202 Posts
The plot thickens.

My in-laws had a large wheelchair lift in the rear of their older pacifica that caused issues. They simply didn’t drive enough or far enough to keep the heavily taxed 12v system healthy 24/7/365.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,311 Posts
Van is a 2017 Limited edition/gas model/no theater
We purchased an extended warranty with Careguard after the 3 year/36,000 mile that came with the vehicle.
Only 13,000-14,000 miles on the van (not sure exactly because it's at the dealership for repair now)
I believe the batteries were replaced 2 years ago.

Will ask the dealership to print me out a history of the repairs...I think they can do that.

Had to rent another handicapped accessible vehicle in the meantime for $500/week.
@turbomikestr Any ideas for @RAFF2021 ?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Hello,
If we can be of any assistance while in service, please feel free to send us a direct message.

Lamar
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So we finally got the vehicle back on Wednesday night after having it almost 2 weeks. They replaced the battery and the "canbus" wire. Said it was damaged. My extended warranty covered around $500 and I had to pay $323. Went to take my husband to dialysis Thursday afternoon and the lights above the shift dial were on. At first the engine wouldn't start. After it finally turned on it wouldn't come out of park and kept getting electrical errors. I called the dealership and told the manager I had to get my husband to dialysis. He told me to open a little plastic cover to the left of the steering wheel and pull an orange cord. He said it would put the car in drive so I could get my husband to dialysis but instead it put the car in neutral and it wouldn't budge from there. Ended up calling AAA again. Car is back at the dealership and they are now saying they need to order a new shift button or shift module. Waiting til Monday for more news.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts