2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frustrated enough after 4 years of ownership to write this post. Keeping it to just the facts. Hope this helps future potential Chrysler customers with their decision making.

1. Purchased 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Minivan with MOPAR 7 yr/100K warranty

2. First major issue (hybrid battery replacement) in 2019. Car in shop for 6 weeks

3. Spoke with Chrysler case manager who approved reimburse rental at $35/day for duration of fix. When I submitted receipts, I was stuck with one week of expenses because there is no record of this agreement

4. Second major issue (PIM replacement) in 2022. Car in shop for 8 weeks

5. Learned my lesson from 2019. Called repeatedly to confirm Chrysler will reimburse rental for entire duration. Confirmed over phone that this was documented in their system. Followed up with email. Got confirmation via email (see screenshot) that there is nothing to worry about

6. When I submitted receipts, I was stuck with 4 weeks of expenses. Called in and was told that there is no record, again. Except there is this time, I replied. After some research, I was then told that the case managers who I spoke to were mistaken, and they apologize for the mistake, but they are not giving me any additional reimbursement

I am okay with cars needing repairs. I am NOT OKAY with Chrysler's inept/deceptive (not sure which it is, you pick) practices when a major repair leaves customers without their main method of transportation.

For those who may be curious ... MOPAR warranty's rental clause covers only 5 days of rental reimbursements at $35/day. Any additional rental expenses need to be negotiated with Chrysler. Both of my repairs were considered manufacturer's defects so that's why they covered a percentage of the rental days. I could only imagine how a scenario would play out if a repair is covered by MOPAR only...

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Number

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Just to balance it out a bit for potential buyers, in October we will have had our van (2018 PacHy) for four years. During that time we’ve had no major problems and the few times it was at the dealer we had it back usually the same day. Once, they kept it for two nights, I think. Overall, we are satisfied with the purchase and only major concern is this recall that’s still hanging over our heads since February.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I think the rental premise is based on if it has stay stay longer than the first overbite then it is covered for a period of up to 5 days and also has a cap of monetary value as well . All loaners , and not by the dealership , have a cap for duration and daily rate . And for reference never believe what somebody tells you always get confirmation through emails pertaining to the product , this way you have a paper trail that can’t be disputed .

·
Administrator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,942 Posts
Unfortunately, the email reply you received from Chrysler Customer Care did not specifically say they would reimburse All your rental. That would be their out. It should not be this hard to get what you should be entitled to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for reading and I agree with you, PacDave. A majority of buyers will never experience any major problems with their vehicle purchase regardless of manufacturer. I even recommended the Pacifica Hybrid to my neighbor who made the purchase.

As noted, I don't have an issue with cars needing repairs. I do have an issue when a car company chooses not to honor words of their customer service representatives, even when provided in writing.

Just to balance it out a bit for potential buyers, in October we will have had our van (2018 PacHy) for four years. During that time we’ve had no major problems and the few times it was at the dealer we had it back usually the same day. Once, they kept it for two nights, I think. Overall, we are satisfied with the purchase and only major concern is this recall that’s still hanging over our heads since February.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Thank you for reading and I agree with you, PacDave. A majority of buyers will never experience any major problems with their vehicle purchase regardless of manufacturer. I even recommended the Pacifica Hybrid to my neighbor who made the purchase.

As noted, I don't have an issue with cars needing repairs. I do have an issue when a car company chooses not to honor words of their customer service representatives, even when provided in writing.
So if the car manufacturer told you they would honour their rental agreement , which they could have and the interpretation was very loosely worded , you would still be out coverage for your claim ? . Something isn’t right here , your warranty clearly states the rental terms and conditions , did you at least get the terms per your contract ? . If you were looking for over and beyond that , the dealer relationship I keep talking about clearly helps here , then that’s where this whole post falls short . Your expectation of coverage , due to repairs and warranty language , is clearly not aligned with the obligations from your service contract . Have you contacted fca , through a lawyer and registers letter with your contract, service invoice and out of pocket expenses for the rental ? . I get posting on a forum and the frustration level , but there are ways and means to go about obtaining remedies , if and so your owed them .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Agreed Peterweb. That's why after learning my lesson in 2019, I did what I thought was necessary to properly document my request in 2022, see my screencap of the email in original post.

Unfortunately, that just got them to agree that their case managers were wrong. They are still not willing to correct the mistake they made by giving me the additional reimbursement. Mind boggling, I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I absolutely loved my 2019 PacHy for the first ~3 years I owned it, but I'm really not happy with the way Chrysler and the dealers handle serious issues with these vans. I've been dealing with an electrical issue in my van for over 3 months that is still unresolved. It has been at the dealer this last time for 35 days and counting; I've now made 2 payments on the thing while it's sitting at the dealer completely useless to me.

Chrysler is involved and I have a case open, but I'm not at all satisfied with their response which I can only describe as lackluster at best. I certainly understand that problems happen and it's out of their control, but I don't really feel like they do a good job standing behind the product when there is a serious issue causing it to be out of service for weeks or months at a time. The reimbursement policies are a joke and they make it as difficult as possible.

Personally, I can't wait to get the PacHy out of my life and I'll never buy another Stellantis product again. I don't fault them for the problem happening in the first place, but I do fault them for lousy customer service when serious issues arise. The whole experience has been really disheartening, because outside of the technical issues it was a wonderful van.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rental terms of MOPAR is 5 days max @ $35/day. This I found out during the 2019 repair.

In both of my situations the repair resulted from a recall. The dealer told me rentals on recalls and manufacturer warranty repairs are handled case by case by Chrysler case management. For the 2019 repair, I called in and was advised that the rental will be covered in full. They ended up covering 5 of the 6 weeks. This time in 2022 I was again advised that the rental will be covered in full. I cited my previous experience and got verbal and written confirmation that it will be fully covered. They ended up covering 4 of the 8 weeks.

One item I want to emphasize is that there is no ambiguity on what I was told by Chrysler case managers previously, or if they have a record of those dialogues or not. The situation is that they acknowledge that the information communicated to me was incorrect, which they do apologize, but they are still not willing to help me with the 4 weeks out of pocket.

I don't know what to expect in terms of rental assistance when a Chrysler product goes in for repairs for several months due to a recall. I agree that I could do the individual research and read the contracts. But if I cannot count on representatives on the dedicated support line from the Manufacturer to inform me verbally and in writing, or on their supervisors to make things right when mistakes are made, then it's a moot point. I have already cut my losses and moved on. This post and my replies are just to document my experience to help inform future potential buyers. Thank you again for reading.

So if the car manufacturer told you they would honour their rental agreement , which they could have and the interpretation was very loosely worded , you would still be out coverage for your claim ? . Something isn’t right here , your warranty clearly states the rental terms and conditions , did you at least get the terms per your contract ? . If you were looking for over and beyond that , the dealer relationship I keep talking about clearly helps here , then that’s where this whole post falls short . Your expectation of coverage , due to repairs and warranty language , is clearly not aligned with the obligations from your service contract . Have you contacted fca , through a lawyer and registers letter with your contract, service invoice and out of pocket expenses for the rental ? . I get posting on a forum and the frustration level , but there are ways and means to go about obtaining remedies , if and so your owed them .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cannot agree more. I do not have an issue with the Pacifica I purchased needing repairs. I do have a big issue with their entire support system - dealers, inventory, customer service, supervisors, etc.

Chrysler is involved and I have a case open, but I'm not at all satisfied with their response which I can only describe as lackluster at best. I certainly understand that problems happen and it's out of their control, but I don't really feel like they do a good job standing behind the product when there is a serious issue causing it to be out of service for weeks or months at a time. The reimbursement policies are a joke and they make it as difficult as possible.

Personally, I can't wait to get the PacHy out of my life and I'll never buy another Stellantis product again. I don't fault them for the problem happening in the first place, but I do fault them for lousy customer service when serious issues arise. The whole experience has been really disheartening, because outside of the technical issues it was a wonderful van.

·
Registered
2017 PacHY 200,00+ Mile Club
152 Posts
Cannot agree more. I do not have an issue with the Pacifica I purchased needing repairs. I do have a big issue with their entire support system - dealers, inventory, customer service, supervisors, etc.
If you look at the entire list of auto companies owned by the parent company Stellantis it's a rag tag group of misfits:

Abarth
Alfa Romeo
Chrysler
Citroën
Dodge
DS
Fiat
Fiat Professional
Jeep
Lancia
Maserati
Mopar
Opel
Peugeot
Ram
Vauxhall

They haven't figured out the service side.

·
Registered
117 Posts
At least you can find “Chrysler cares", it exists in name only in Canada, every time you reach them out, the customer agent will answer your questions with fixed templates "sorry", "my apologize", "I understand", "that's ture", and do nothing, the final answer would be "contact your dealership to find out more infomation".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Frustrated enough after 4 years of ownership to write this post. Keeping it to just the facts. Hope this helps future potential Chrysler customers with their decision making.

1. Purchased 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Minivan with MOPAR 7 yr/100K warranty

2. First major issue (hybrid battery replacement) in 2019. Car in shop for 6 weeks

3. Spoke with Chrysler case manager who approved reimburse rental at $35/day for duration of fix. When I submitted receipts, I was stuck with one week of expenses because there is no record of this agreement

4. Second major issue (PIM replacement) in 2022. Car in shop for 8 weeks

5. Learned my lesson from 2019. Called repeatedly to confirm Chrysler will reimburse rental for entire duration. Confirmed over phone that this was documented in their system. Followed up with email. Got confirmation via email (see screenshot) that there is nothing to worry about

6. When I submitted receipts, I was stuck with 4 weeks of expenses. Called in and was told that there is no record, again. Except there is this time, I replied. After some research, I was then told that the case managers who I spoke to were mistaken, and they apologize for the mistake, but they are not giving me any additional reimbursement

I am okay with cars needing repairs. I am NOT OKAY with Chrysler's inept/deceptive (not sure which it is, you pick) practices when a major repair leaves customers without their main method of transportation.

For those who may be curious ... MOPAR warranty's rental clause covers only 5 days of rental reimbursements at $35/day. Any additional rental expenses need to be negotiated with Chrysler. Both of my repairs were considered manufacturer's defects so that's why they covered a percentage of the rental days. I could only imagine how a scenario would play out if a repair is covered by MOPAR only...

View attachment 50606
I am having the same repair issue with my 2021 hybrid. Car just stalled in the middle of the highway bc it was having trouble switching between electric and gas. Been in the shop since June 4th and Chrysler is coming up with new things to investigate. From changing heater element to transmission. I DO have an issue with a van with less than 15K miles being in the shop this long and Chrysler having no clue what’s wrong. I paid for a rental for 10 days before switching to a dealer loaner. They closed my case on the rental side and have not reimbursed me yet.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think that the problem in general with many PHEVs is that they represent such a small segment of the entire population of vehicles. So these dealers understand the problems and how to fix them with ICE vehicles but the PHEVs are a more rare bunch. A PHEV comes in with a problem and maybe it’s the first time a technician has even worked on one. Along with that we have the supply chain issues related to the CoVid pandemic and that just compounds already existing problems. It’s unfortunate that we, the owners, are the ones paying the price for this. A car manufacturer like Chrysler or Ford or any other needs to embrace the technology that is taking over the industry instead of regarding it as a nuisance.

·
Premium Member
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
1,069 Posts
Chrysler has been building and servicing Pacifica Hybrids for, what, five or six years? Their knowledge base has certainly improved, but, yes, they still have much room for improvement.

That said, I'd love to own a Pachy if only it had available Sto 'n Go and the Towing Package.

After reading the first post of this thread, i had a real issue with the OP's title. I expected to read about a Pachy fire in the garage, for instance, but no. The real beef is with the warranty and, in particular, the car rental reimbursement part of the warranty. So don't buy a Pachy because you will have a fight on your hands getting the car rental benefit of the warranty.

Perhaps the title should say something like, "Touble getting rental car reimbursement from dealer." After all, the OP admits, "I am okay with cars needing repairs..."

The OP's issue could be in regards to any Pacifica, so in this case it isn't fair to single out the Pacifica Hybrid model. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So many of these issues could be solved IF THER WAS LESS TO NO BACKUP LINE FOR NEEDED PARTS!
I hear a customer needing a benign part for a recent model year and they are told it is on back-order and the request is 45th in line to get that part shipped.
That 'rental nightmare' is caused WAY up the line from the dealer. If the part was available in less than four days you would have been paid in full and on the road. But the lack of parts ends up smashing the customers toes at the Parts desk and over-stretching Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis fiscal calculations for warranty losses.
The parts depot has a seven hour drive and we would LOVE to get a van to get a load of back-orders. But they don't have anything shipped up from the USA to send out to dealers so this whole situation is international.
The lack of parts has been a constant issue for decades. The issue was magnified by the 2016 tariff blitz. Canada had a surplus of stamped Sport Hoods and there were special edition this and that. They were expensive to sell over the boarder so they just offered the Canadian dealers exclusive hoods in volume. It became very expensive for the minivans and I think they could have been selling at a loss. That seems to be when the downturn in minivan sales started and the advertisement cash went to vehicles that had a better percentage of 'Built In America'. So your Pacifica parts availability may even be restricted by the value of currency. Who knows?
That may be a under-educated guess but this is just a discussion forum. So many issues are due to waiting for parts. There are also shelves of parts waiting for the customer to come back in to fix what couldn't be fixed when it was diagnosed. I guess that rattle went away or just fell off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At least your dealership offers loaners! Hope you get your van back very soon.

I am having the same repair issue with my 2021 hybrid. Car just stalled in the middle of the highway bc it was having trouble switching between electric and gas. Been in the shop since June 4th and Chrysler is coming up with new things to investigate. From changing heater element to transmission. I DO have an issue with a van with less than 15K miles being in the shop this long and Chrysler having no clue what’s wrong. I paid for a rental for 10 days before switching to a dealer loaner. They closed my case on the rental side and have not reimbursed me yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed. My dealer's technician have told me both times that all they do is run diagnostics and whatever error codes the vehicle returns, they submit it to Chrysler's STARS (I think that's the name) team for further instructions. Depending on how backed up the STARS que is, they get responses once a day or sometimes only once a week and act accordingly. I'm sure for smaller/common issues this process is not followed but when these PHEVs breakdown they are usually down for the count.

Anyhow, it drags out any major repairs and make them time consuming processes.

I think that the problem in general with many PHEVs is that they represent such a small segment of the entire population of vehicles. So these dealers understand the problems and how to fix them with ICE vehicles but the PHEVs are a more rare bunch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At least you can find “Chrysler cares", it exists in name only in Canada, every time you reach them out, the customer agent will answer your questions with fixed templates "sorry", "my apologize", "I understand", "that's ture", and do nothing, the final answer would be "contact your dealership to find out more infomation".
Yes they are cordial but mostly powerless/unwilling to help. Below is a fun example of the emails I received, with a lot to unpack:

1. 10 days elapsed between communications. I called in between and left VMs with no callback

2. My case was opened in May. In two months time Tere was the 3rd manager assigned to my case. She was also the second to be "no longer working.". Gives you an idea of the turnover at Stellantis

3. The clincher is that my vehicle was fixed and picked up by me a couple days before Jul 7th. So either the case manager never did follow up, or the dealer is equally unresponsive to their customers (they usually don't return my calls unless I bombard them with multiple VMs/texts over several days) and their corporate counterparts.

Font Screenshot Rectangle Software Parallel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
After reading the first post of this thread, i had a real issue with the OP's title. I expected to read about a Pachy fire in the garage, for instance, but no. The real beef is with the warranty and, in particular, the car rental reimbursement part of the warranty. So don't buy a Pachy because you will have a fight on your hands getting the car rental benefit of the warranty.

Perhaps the title should say something like, "Touble getting rental car reimbursement from dealer." After all, the OP admits, "I am okay with cars needing repairs..."

The OP's issue could be in regards to any Pacifica, so in this case it isn't fair to single out the Pacifica Hybrid model. Just my opinion.
I do see your point, and thank you for raising it.

My thought was that my "do not buy" assessment are made beyond the repairs themselves. I'm not expecting any car from any manufacturer to be defect free. Maybe Chrysler products require more repairs, but that's not a show stopper for me. For what it's worth, the two issues I mentioned have stranded me in 800 miles and 50 miles from home, respectively, so those experiences of trying to get home could warrant the "do not buy."

What has been eye opening the last 4 years is the failures in Chrysler's customer service network (dealers, parts inventory, customer service, etc.) I have experienced in trying to get repairs done. I have owned Chevys, Toyotas, Lexus, Acura and any lengthy repair work done on those vehicles did not frustrate me enough to spend time writing about it. This thread with contribution from all of you will hopefully be good source of information for future buyers.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts