2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Chrysler Pacifica is highest priced & has higher depreciation versus minivan competitors

9K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  jongri 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't buy a brand new vehicle believing it's a good investment (no one should). They all lose $5-$10,000 in value as soon as you drive off a new car dealers lot. My one gripe with buying a new Chrysler Pacifica is the astronomical depreciation it has versus the competition. Don't get me wrong I love my new 2022 Pacifica & would buy it again. But it really is a wake up call to realize that in only one month after purchase (with only 244 total miles) it's value has dropped $20,000 from its selling price! That's by far the highest depreciation of any new vehicle I've ever purchased in 46 years and a real eye opener for sure. Luckily for me I keep my new vehicles for over 10 years on average but if I had one complaint about the Chrysler Pacifica it has the highest depreciation rate by far of all the minivan competition.

#4 ·
I did the same thing. View the link in my previous post and see what I did.

Reactions: jongri
#3 · (Edited)
They all lose $5-$10,000 in value as soon as you drive off a new car dealers lot.
That is not true. My 2021 Pinnacle MSRP 52,720.00, 47,960.00 OTD a unicorn fully loaded with everything that 2022+ are missing (third glass, power fold mirrors, etc.), I will have had two years this coming May,

2021 Pinnacle with 16 miles at delivery. | 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums (pacificaforums.com)

I just ran the VIN in Kelly Blue Book and this is what it is valued as of today 01/20/2023.
Trade-in
Product Font Screenshot Parallel Web page

Private Party
Product Font Line Screenshot Technology

I am still way ahead with the 7,500 tax credit and all the fuel I have saved the past two years.

Sold my previous 2018 for more than what I bought it for new.

#16 · (Edited)
That is not true. My 2021 Pinnacle MSRP 52,720.00, 47,960.00 OTD a unicorn fully loaded with everything that 2022+ are missing (third glass, power fold mirrors, etc.), I will have had two years this coming May,

2021 Pinnacle with 16 miles at delivery. | 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums (pacificaforums.com)

I just ran the VIN in Kelly Blue Book and this is what it is valued as of today 01/20/2023.
Trade-in
View attachment 52291
Private Party
View attachment 52292

I am still way ahead with the 7,500 tax credit and all the fuel I have saved the past two years.

Sold my previous 2018 for more than what I bought it for new.
Must be dependent on which model Pacifica & trim you purchase. My 2022 Pacifica Touring L AWD (Fully Loaded $51,800 invoice plus the $6,500 in parts & labor with after purchase add ons $58,300 total cost including everything).
Only one month after purchase and only 244 total miles & Kelley Blue Book values it $20,000 under what it cost me at between $36,000-$38,000 Trade-in & $40,000-$42,000 Private Party? That's an incredible depreciation in only 1 month w/ only 244 total miles. The PacHy obviously depreciates differently than the Pacifica AWD Gas models & I'd be depressed if I didn't love my new Pacifica. Fortunately I plan to keep mine for life - at least 10 + years. But if I tried trading it in on a 2023 Pacifica right now w/ only 1 month ownership (244 miles) no doubt I'd take a bath on it which makes it the highest depreciation of any vehicle I've ever purchased unfortunately!

#8 ·
Haven't seen anything like that. Everything I have seen is sky-high compared to three years ago.

#7 ·
Yeah, I missed out on that. Had I done it a few months earlier I could have scored with discounts like stopeject and you did. With the increase in used values when I upgraded it wasn't too much of a difference I missed out on.

#9 ·
I wonder if this is a regional thing. Here in the Twin Cities where minivans are very, very, very popular, prices are still up there.

#12 ·
True. This car market has been insanely inflated over the past year or so. Getting back closer to normal. ... I purchased a brand new 2021 Kia Sorento SX right when they came out for 40k, 2 months ago sold it for 39k. lol . crazy. ... then purchased my used 2020 Pacifica Limited with 60k miles for $23,400. ... I couldn't be happier with how the car and how the deals went down. :)

cheers.

#13 ·
Market hasn’t changed that much , and the pricing decline is based on what vehicle you have . Talk to the Tesla fan boys about the price cuts and then talk numbers . Sold my 18 ehybrid what I paid for it 3 years after I purchased it and my 21 pinnacle ehybrid is on cash positive side for value in trade or private sale . So generalizing that whole market has tanked as a blanket statement is just plain nonsense

#14 ·
I didn't say it tanked, just said it is declining and returning to normal. Overall, the price of vehicles has been declining, and yes there are exceptions, but basic economics are at work as supply returns to normal and demand softens. (Maybe Canada is different, as I do not shop or live there).

#18 · (Edited)
Product Azure Font Rectangle Software

Here's the Kelley Blue Book Trade-in value for my one month old, 244 miles, $58,300 actual cost with after purchase add ons ($4000 for OEM 20-Inch Wheels/Tires with matching full size spare alone) plus labor added to the $51,800 MSRP for my new 2022 Pacifica Touring L AWD with all the options included above (taken today). It's depreciation is even worse than my $95,000 1996 (Full Size) H1-Hummer Wagon (Loaded) was! And below here's what it values a 2022 Pacifica Pinnacle Hybrid with same 244 total miles. Shocking depreciation to say the least & depressing but fortunately not actual depreciation for brand new Pacifica's with under 300 miles.
Product Azure Font Rectangle Software

#21 · (Edited)
View attachment 52296
Here's the Kelley Blue Book Trade-in value for my one month old, 244 miles, $58,300 new 2022 Pacifica Touring L AWD with all the options included above (taken today). It's depreciation is even worse than my $95,000 1996 (Full Size) Hummer Wagon (Loaded) was! And below here's what it values a 2022 Pacifica Pinnacle Hybrid with same 244 total miles. Shocking depreciation to say the least & depressing. View attachment 52301
First off....you didn't buy a $58,300 Pacifica.....it was $51,800 (like you said).
Accessories/aftermarket parts don't add real value....so I wouldn't include that into your price, despite that you (REALLY over) paid for them.

Second, and the bigger underlying reason, is that you (over) paid for a loaded lower trim level. So, despite it being "loaded", it's still a Touring L in the end to KBB or a dealer -- options or not. Not much added value, unless to the right person, with those extra options.
Had you stepped up to a Limited, for a little more money, you'd be seeing less of a drop IMO...in comparison.

The market is still up though, but I do agree that these do depreciate quite a bit though versus the rivals.
It is what it is

#20 ·
Yeah, my son bought a Tesla Model Y in December after they announced the $3,750 price cut, but before the $7,500 discount. The even larger discount announced a week or so ago does not apply because the options he ordered put his vehicle beyond the allowable range. At least he got something, but I really don't think he cared about it like I would.

#22 · (Edited)
Over paid? Your saying Chrysler Dealer Parts & Service & Mopar national eStore overcharged me? Since I have to use only Mopar parts & accessories & Chrysler service for my new Pacifica or else void my 8 year Maximum Care Warranty you make no sense whatsoever with that comment accept with the Limited trim that is, I agree with that. But overpaid, no that's what they're selling for building them online or buying from dealership especially when the new Pacifica inventory within 100 miles of my location has been next to 0! Look at that 2022 Pinnacle Hybrid value w/ 244 miles? That Pinnacle would cost $60,000 and after 1 month & 244 miles worth $45,000 or less Trade-in that's extremely high depreciation in my opinion.
Also the days of getting great deals on new Pacifica's are over (at least until inventory improves). Dealers in my area (100 miles) have little to no inventory of new Pacifica's late last year when I bought mine so trying to get a "good deal" on one wasn't possible. I paid exactly what every other person (other than Chrysler employee or relative of salesman) would pay for a 2022 Pacifica Touring L AWD with the same options as mine has. That's another reason I disagree w/ your statement of over paying for the new Pacifica it was the same price quoted building it thru Chrysler eShop online w/ all the options $51,800 accept for a $200 dealership delivery charge added. To be clear though I'm in agreement with buying the higher trim Limited that would have cost me over $57,900 w/ same options & Trailer-Tow Group. Kelley Blue book values 2022 Limited AWD (Loaded) at $42,000 Trade-in after 1 month ownership w/ 244 miles. But you're right I should have bought the Limited at least then I'd have the nicer Harman Kardon 19 speaker sound, Premium Center Console & nicer interior w/ power rear seats, which I wish I had now. And also agree with your it is what it is, I knew about higher price & high depreciation on new Pacifica's vs competition before ever buying mine & I'd do it again (except I'd buy Limited AWD, lol).
Using only the Chrysler 2022 Pacifica build optional equipment pricing Added to my Pacifica Touring L AWD $51,800 invoice such as the Trailer-Tow Group $995, Interior Protection $695, Splash Guards $175 & the upgraded 20" Pinnacle Wheels $495 (actual cost $586.80 each versus all other OEM 20" Pacifica Wheels including the 20" Foreshadow Painted Alum Wheels costing $391.20 each or less) should definitely be included in my Pacifica's cost & does add value (maybe not equal value to actual cost paid but value nonetheless). That puts my upgraded Touring L AWD cost at $54,160 using only the actual 2022 Pacifica optional equipment build prices.
I agree that After purchase Add on Accessories like the Front Air Deflector ($175), Rear Seat Protectors (7 Passenger Stow) ($498), Bright Body Side Moldings ($350) add no additional value to my Pacifica & should be excluded in what it cost me when accessing Kelley Blue Book values.
$54,160 is a SUPER expensive 2022 Pacifica Touring L AWD as you mentioned "OVER Paid", but w/ these Optional Upgrades & Accessories that's what new 2022-2023 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L AWD (Fully Loaded-Classic Style (non "S") cost with all the Optional Equipment & Accessories my Touring L AWD has. I guess you could say anyone buying a new Pacifica now a days is over paying no matter which trim level or model they buy if they pay anywhere close to MSRP-Invoice (which currently is almost everyone). Current lack of new Pacifica Inventory Post COVID means most people buying new Pacifica's can't get anywhere close to that $10,000 below Window Sticker Bargain price of the "Good Old Days". New Pacifica higher depreciations compared to competitors excludes Special Edition Pacifica Models where only a limited number were manufactured such as the elusive new 2023 Pacifica Touring L (AWD or Hybrid) "Road Tripper" or the Special Edition Hybrid mentioned in previous post).

#31 ·
Your valuations on other brands show you can't rely on KBB during market volatility. Furthermore, you can't know what will happen tomorrow. If the Pacifica plant will have a couple of prolonged production stops, you'll be able to sell your Pac at MSRP.
I have to use only Mopar parts & accessories & Chrysler service for my new Pacifica or else void my 8 year Maximum Care Warranty
What? You plug a phone charger and it will void the warranty?
Here's the only ride I own that's worth more now than what I paid for it 30 years ago in 1993
When a bike is older than 10 years its age and mileage barely affect its price. Only factors that matter are condition and desirability.

#23 ·
@snobrdrdan is right, you cannot include the add-ons in the depreciation calculation. But, if you did buy the max care warranty and add-ons from the dealer you likely overpaid by a lot. There are dealers you can purchase through separately and save a ton. I just purchased my max care through Tom Winkels (tomwinkels@hayescars.com) after cancelling the original one I purchased. Tom saved me more than 50% of the original plan purchased from the dealer. Max care is fully refundable if cancelled within 60 days from purchase, so you can likely cancel from your original dealer and it won't cost you a cent.

To put it in perspective, I paid less (including the Max Care warranty) for my 2022 Touring L Hybrid with S Package and U Connect Family Theater (so "fully loaded" Touring L Hybrid) than you did. (Also not factoring in the federal tax credit). $6500 in add-ons is a lot of money, more than 10% of your vehicle purchase.

You signed your deal on the car, so be happy with it and enjoy it, but you can likely unwind the add-ons (if they are the warranty and service coverages) and get them from cheaper.

Lots of good info on this forum!

#24 · (Edited)
Only reason I'm including some of the Add ons to my original $51,800 invoice price is because they're included in Chrysler eShop new Pacifica Optional Equipment/Accessory Build pricing, like $495 for the 20" Wheels, $695 for the Interior Protection, $175 for Splash Guard set, $995 for Trailer-Tow Group, which can be added (except Splash Guards) to Kelley Blue Book value using the select optional equipment instead of standard equipment for values. Whether that actually changes Blue Book value is another guess though?
I didn't include the Chrysler New Maximum Care Extended Warranty 8/60 $0 Deductible I have because I got that free of charge from dealer w/ purchase (Supposedly $3000 value according to salesman?) b/c I traded in my mint condition 2005 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD w/ 59,000 miles (Literally Showroom condition inside & out) & they only gave me $7,000 for it (which they wound up selling for over $18,000 2 days later & biggest mistake not selling it privately on my part for sure) & I complained about not getting a fair trade in value. So yes, all things considered I got taken to the cleaners unfortunately but only on the $7,000 plus free 8/60 $0 Deductible Max Care for my trade-in. I also did get the Chrysler eShop $1000 off invoice rebate too. As you say what's done is done & I do love my new Pacifica with all my after purchase, expensive add ons (except for the Touring L's half center console that is).
The reason I created this thread was not so much to complain since I knew about the Pacifica's higher pricing & higher depreciation (mentioned in all new car reviews under cons like Car and Driver, Edmonds, Consumer reports, Motor Trend, etc.) versus competitors but b/c I couldn't find any posts addressing this one topic under Pacifica vs Competition.
Honda Odyssey has similar depreciation to Pacifica's but Toyota Sienna maintains full value all things equal & I'd still take the Pacifica over either competitor everytime.

#25 · (Edited)
Just to clarify the $51,800 invoice many commenting here claim I "OverPaid" for my 2022 Pacifica Touring L AWD is not a base model Touring L. see Link below for Window Sticker.
Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot
Adding $2,360.00 to the original invoice using the 2022 Chrysler Pacifica AWD Optional Equipment/Accessories eShop new Build Pricing of $495 for 20" Wheels, $175 for Splash Guard set, $995 for Trailer-Tow Group, $695 for Interior Protection brings my Pacifica's actual price to $54,160. Just because my 2022 Touring L AWD has the more Traditional-Classic Pacifica styling doesn't make it's Optional Equipment & Accessories less valuable simply b/c it doesn't have the $1695 "S" Appearance Package or because it's an AWD Gas and not a "Hybrid"! Please don't misunderstand me, I think Pacifica's w/ the "S" Appearance Package are really nice & sporty looking and I also can see the tremendous value & energy cost savings that must come with buying a new Pacifica Hybrid. I needed a Pacifica w/ AWD/Stow & Go that is capable of towing my 1993 Harley Davidson FLSTF "Fat Boy" & other light weight towing so that excluded buying a Pacifica Hybrid for me. I also prefer Pacifica's with the more Traditional or "Classic Style" which meant no "S" Appearance Package.
Saying not to include those add ons above to my invoice for the actual purchase price for a new 2022 Pacifica Touring L AWD with exact options mine has is like saying that my original options: Uconnect 5 Nav, Dual-Pane Panoramic Sunroof, Uconnect Theater Family Group, AWD, Fathom Blue Pearl-Coat Paint, Engine Block Heater, etc. shouldn't be considered in MSRP or Invoice Price either? I'm unaware of anyone buying a new 2022 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L AWD with same exact options included in mine that's been able to buy it brand new for below MSRP (excluding dealer discounts) anywhere within 150 miles of me last December 2022? If anyone has more power to you. No dealership within my 100 mile search was willing to sell any Pacifica below invoice price and most dealerships had 0 inventory or Pacifica's without all the options I wanted. Could I have gotten a Touring L cheaper yes. But it wouldn't of had all the optional equipment included with mine.
Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot

#26 ·
2022 Honda Odyssey Touring (Loaded) $51,820 Invoice w/ 244 miles
Kelley Blue Book Trade-In Value below
Automotive parking light Product Wheel Font Screenshot

#27 ·
2022 Toyota Sienna XSE AWD (Loaded) $50,456 invoice w/ 244 miles
Kelley Blue Book Trade-in value below
Photograph Tire Product Wheel Font

#28 ·
2022 Kia Carnival MVP XS Prestige (Loaded) $51,725 invoice w/ 244 miles
Kelley Blue Book Trade-In Value
Automotive parking light Product Vehicle Font Screenshot

#29 ·
I disagree to an extent, my '18 Touring L was $43 new and now 4-5 years old and 61k miles later still worth about $23.. Yes brand spanking new loses 30-40% in first 2-3 years so moral of the story is buy 2 or 3 years old save almost half.. If buying new doesn't prevent you from buying eggs then by all means..👍

#30 ·
I trust little about Kelley Blue Book when it comes to new/used car values it was telling me the same depreciation using VIN numbers w/ 0 miles on brand new Pacifica's still on dealers lots. Here's the only ride I own that's worth more now than what I paid for it 30 years ago in 1993. My 93' Harley Davidison FLSTF "FatBoy" below.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

#38 ·
Here is my personal experience with depreciation on the Chrysler Pacifica.

For those who believe that it’s not a good idea to lease a vehicle, I have had a very lucrative experience whereby I leased 4 new vehicles since March, 2022, moved up the MSRP ladder each time, lowered my monthly lease payments each time, all with not a penny out of pocket. All extra costs and fees were rolled up into the lease.

On March 19th, 2022, I traded in my 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited (MSRP $52,225) with 5,176 miles on it (monthly lease payment of $449) on a 2022 Chrysler Pacifica non-hybrid FWD Limited (MSRP $52,767), 24 month/10K yr lease, with a monthly lease payment of $289.

On July 8th, 2022, I traded in my 2022 Chrysler Pacifica non-Hybrid FWD Limited with 1,520 miles on it on a 2022 Chrysler Pacifica non-hybrid AWD Limited (MSRP $55,757), 24 month/10K yr lease, with a monthly lease payment of $256.

On December 10th, 2022, I traded in my 2022 Chrysler Pacifica non-hybrid AWD Limited with 2,443 miles on it on a 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4Xe (MSRP $63,955), 27 month/10K yr lease with a monthly lease payment of $225.

On January 20th, 2023, I traded in my 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4Xe with 635 miles on it on a 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4Xe (MSRP $65,950), 27 month/10K yr lease, with a monthly lease payment of $167. The difference between the two Jeeps is that the latter one has 20” wheels versus 18” wheels on the one I traded in. My discounts included a $2,330 discount from the dealer, $7,500 Bonus Cash from Stellantis (Federal Tax Credit passed down as bonus cash), $2,000 US Bonus Cash from Stellantis, $1,000 Owner Appreciation Month Loyalty Bonus Cash from Stellantis, and $2,000 in additional Bonus Cash. I also got $53,000 on my trade and after paying off the lease, I had a net equity of $9,918. The total discount off of the price of my new Jeep amounted to $24,748. There is no other vehicle out there that I could get that would even come close to that figure. My equivalent interest rate on the lease is 3.72%.
In addition, since the July deal had so much excess equity (received $51,500 trade-in), the dealer had to mail me a check to cover the excess equity. That check was used to pay for my entire monthly lease payments since March, 2022 with enough left over to cover the next 2 monthly payments on my new Jeep.

I “gamed” the system legally.

#42 ·
Wow, that's the most new car leases and trade-ins I've ever seen by anyone in a one year time period for sure. Seems you figured out a system for trading in new Car leases after 3 months or so for another new leased vehicle. More importantly your system of super short term new car leasing/trade-in/new car lease somehow has saved you $ while getting to drive a different new car every few months or so, job well done.

#39 ·
Depreciation stats from magazine articles or websites all use MSRP as the baseline. Before the supply issues of the past two years, All the Chrysler/Stellantis products were well known for always having manufacture discounts/incentives so they typically always sold well below MSRP. Compared to manufacturer's like Toyota who rarely ever had incentives. So the actual historic depreciation of Chryslers is not as bad as those reports make it look.

In my case, I was able to buy my '21 PacHy before the shortages for ~10k under sticker (even before the Fed rebate). I cross-shopped a '21 Toyota Sienna and they were selling for sticker even at that time.

#40 · (Edited)
You chose the perfect time to buy a new 2021 PacHy for sure, great job! Now w/ the new Pacifica shortages since late 2022, there's little to no chance of getting that same deal or any deal below MSRP (except Chrysler/Dealer rebates).
Every dealership I dealt w/ in late 2022 was so hard up for Pacifica inventory that it took me over a month and several phones calls to each just to get my eShop $500 - $1000 deposits back (on the four different deposits I put on 4 different Pacifica's listed as In-Transit) from those dealerships I didn't purchase Pacifica's from. One local dealer took my $500 deposit on a 2022 Pacifica Limited AWD, sold it out from under me the next day and took a month & half with at least 6 calls from me to Dealership Manager & Chrysler Corporate Customer Service to credit back my $500 deposit!
The only explanation for the new Pacifica inventory shortages I was given was "Welcome to the Post-COVID new car buying world", lol. I also found out that most new Pacifica's arriving from Canada to US via Rail sit at train depot parking lots for up to 3 weeks (in some cases) before getting shipped to their final dealer destinations.

#41 ·
That's another reason I don't believe the KBB $20,000 depreciation Trade-in value of my 1 month old, 2022 Pacifica Touring L AWD w/ only 244 total miles. The market conditions alone suggest otherwise considering the latest shortage of new car inventory with just about every manufacturer? Good luck finding new minivans from any of the 4 (Chrysler, Toyota, Honda or Kia) in stock & on dealer lots ready to test drive (barring extremely large, high volume dealerships in big cities).

Reactions: BriPac
#43 ·
Thanks, I just got lucky to hit the peak period of high trade-ins. The advantage of doing what I am doing is that I live in Dover, DE where the state tax is calculated by taking the MSRP and subtracting the trade-in and multiplying that total by 4.25%. By trading in my vehicles often, I am able to take advantage of a small state sales tax. Also, because of all of the bonuses, discounts, and rebates, I am able to lower my monthly lease payments. I also benefited from having a very savvy sales manager who was able to get a residual value of 65% on my 2 year lease. I also benefited from the 3.72% interest rate on my lease because my credit score is above 800. Of course, the deals on the Jeep 4Xe would not be possible without the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit.

With the Federal Tax Credit due to expire on February 28, 2023, as indicated by Stellantis, I have time to try and squeeze in one more deal to make it 5 new vehicles in under a year with my goal to reach the Summit (pun intended). It may be possible that Stellantis will extend that bonus but it will be up to the banks to continue to pass that onto the lease customers. I have been able to take full advantage of that FTC because I am the lessee, not the leaser; that credit goes to the owner of the vehicle which are the finance companies. I have been able to get that credit on my 2021 Pacifica Hybrid and my 2 Jeep GC 4Xes. I was able to qualify for the Customer Loyalty Lease Bonus Cash of from $6K to $8K when I leased my 2 non-hybrid Pacificas.

#44 ·
I'm in New Castle, DE about 45 minutes north of you, small World!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.