2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty upset so going to rant on here. My issue started as a Cylinder 4 misfire and start/stop indicator light on at 58k miles. I took it to a local repair shop and they replaced spark plug coil packs ($1400 spent). I noticed I was still getting rough idles, at times the engine light for cylinder 4 misfire was coming back on so I took it back at 62k miles. They found coolant leaking and cylinder still misfire which they tied to a blown head gasket ($4200 estimate).

I then reached out to customer service after realizing from advice on here that there was a 5 year/ 60k powertrain warranty that should cover this. I chatted with Chrysler Customer Service and they said I needed to bring the vehicle into a dealership to confirm the repair then they could escalate my case. The dealership was very unhelpful and said I would need to contact Chrysler on my own and they would not do anything for me in helping figure out the warranty.

Being skeptical, I called Chrysler Customer Service again this morning to ensure my ticket had all the info needed since the dealership was not going to assist me once I brought the van in this week to confirm the repair. The representative I talked to said I was given bad information from the previous representative and that I should not have made an appointment with the dealership. Since I'm currently at 62k and was not the original owner they could not to a goodwill extension on the warranty even though I can prove the issue occurred at 58k miles from my local repair shop. There was nothing else that could be done even though a supervisor is supposed to call me back this was the decision they had already determined.

This is by far the worst customer service experience I have been apart of not only from Chrysler. I will never by a Dodge/Chrysler product again if they do not stand by their products as the van has had nothing but electrical and engine issues since we bought it 2 years ago at only 40k miles. If they truly cared about customers they would acknowledge this is a frequent issue and honor fixing the issue especially since I can prove it occurred within the powertrain warranty window. So frustrated!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
First let me say, I'm on your side in thinking Chrysler should do more.

Unfortunately, you can't "prove" the head gasket leak occurred under warranty based on the facts you presented. Your local repair shop diagnosed your earlier problem as failed coli packs. This seemed to resolve the issue, at least partially, for a while. The leaking coolant was not diagnosed until after your warranty expired. You can infer that the misfire at 58K was due to a coolant leak, and not the coil packs, but this is not proof. I only say this because it is probably Chrysler's position.

You did not mention it, but I hope you are as upset with your local repair shop as you are with Chrysler. They misdiagnosed your problem and charged you $1400 to replace parts that were probably okay. Why didn't they do the pressure test at 58K miles? What are you asking, in terms of compensation, from your local repair shop?

I too would expect more from Chrysler, especially for a vehicle that is barely out of warranty and for a problem that appears to be all too common. I'm sitting at 57K miles on my 2017, so I'll be watching for signs of this happening.

Keep the pressure on Chrysler and I hope they come through for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First let me say, I'm on your side in thinking Chrysler should do more.

Unfortunately, you can't "prove" the head gasket leak occurred under warranty based on the facts you presented. Your local repair shop diagnosed your earlier problem as failed coli packs. This seemed to resolve the issue, at least partially, for a while. The leaking coolant was not diagnosed until after your warranty expired. You can infer that the misfire at 58K was due to a coolant leak, and not the coil packs, but this is not proof. I only say this because it is probably Chrysler's position.

You did not mention it, but I hope you are as upset with your local repair shop as you are with Chrysler. They misdiagnosed your problem and charged you $1400 to replace parts that were probably okay. Why didn't they do the pressure test at 58K miles? What are you asking, in terms of compensation, from your local repair shop?

I too would expect more from Chrysler, especially for a vehicle that is barely out of warranty and for a problem that appears to be all too common. I'm sitting at 57K miles on my 2017, so I'll be watching for signs of this happening.

Keep the pressure on Chrysler and I hope they come through for you.
Thanks for the response and I get that point of view. Part of it is my fault, I should have realized at 58k I was still in the Powertrain warranty period and not spent $1400 to replace spark plugs for the cylinder misfiring. That being said, I could have taken it to the dealer who did the same thing only to find the head gasket issue at 62k and be in the same boat (albeit with $1400 back in my pocket). Alot of what-ifs here but as a customer of Chrysler and someone who really likes our current van I just cannot believe they would do this to us. The way I've being treated, especially by Customer Service giving me bad information and the dealership they are going to forever lose a customer because of it.

·
Administrator
2,008 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
gas
Trim:
Touring L Plus
Does Chrysler Cares ever even respond here anymore or are they MIA on these boards?
Have you sent them a PM or tagged them in a post? It is not their job to read all posts in the forum. This forum is not run by, or related to Chrysler in any way.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
2017 Limited
92 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles! But in case the info is useful to anybody else, I've noticed that it seems like coil pack failure is somewhat common on these vans, and the repair can sometimes be cheap and easy. I had two fail, not too far apart. Each time the engine started running extremely rough, and it gave error codes for misfires on a specific cylinder (the one with the bad pack).

Fortunately, my failures were both on the front banks of cylinders, so they were fairly easy to access and replace myself following along a YouTube video. The replacement coil packs I bought from Advance Auto for $36 each were actually genuine Mopar parts. I got lucky, because if any of the rear coil packs failed, the intake would have to be removed to gain access to them (as is common on most FWD V6 vehicles).

But $1400 still seems pretty steep to me for that kind of job. I'm guessing they replaced all six coil packs? At probably $120-$130 a pop?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you sent them a PM or tagged them in a post? It is not their job to read all posts in the forum. This forum is not run by, or related to Chrysler in any way.
Oh yeah I have direct messaged them several times. Are they affiliated with customer service who I’ve spoken to on the phone twice and gotten different answers?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles! But in case the info is useful to anybody else, I've noticed that it seems like coil pack failure is somewhat common on these vans, and the repair can sometimes be cheap and easy. I had two fail, not too far apart. Each time the engine started running extremely rough, and it gave error codes for misfires on a specific cylinder (the one with the bad pack).

Fortunately, my failures were both on the front banks of cylinders, so they were fairly easy to access and replace myself following along a YouTube video. The replacement coil packs I bought from Advance Auto for $36 each were actually genuine Mopar parts. I got lucky, because if any of the rear coil packs failed, the intake would have to be removed to gain access to them (as is common on most FWD V6 vehicles).

But $1400 still seems pretty steep to me for that kind of job. I'm guessing they replaced all six coil packs? At probably $120-$130 a pop?
Good to know, yeah they replaced six coil packs and had to remove the intake to get to them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They will respond in their time.
I shall wait on their time while my van sits disabled and I cannot drive my family anywhere. We shall stare into each others eyes.

You know that’s another reason I did not take the van to Chrysler dealer when the engine acted up at 58k miles, they were saying 4 weeks until next appt and I’m supposed to wait and not drive it? I took it to mopar recommended repair shop in less than a week but look where I’m at now.

·
Registered
2017 Limited
92 Posts
You know that’s another reason I did not take the van to Chrysler dealer when the engine acted up at 58k miles, they were saying 4 weeks until next appt and I’m supposed to wait and not drive it? I took it to mopar recommended repair shop in less than a week but look where I’m at now.
The long wait-time at dealer auto shops seems to be a common issue, and not just for Chrysler. But as your situation demonstrates, it's a real problem.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I shall wait on their time while my van sits disabled and I cannot drive my family anywhere. We shall stare into each others eyes.

What’s a MOPAR “ recommended repair shop” ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm pretty upset so going to rant on here. My issue started as a Cylinder 4 misfire and start/stop indicator light on at 58k miles. I took it to a local repair shop and they replaced spark plug coil packs ($1400 spent). I noticed I was still getting rough idles, at times the engine light for cylinder 4 misfire was coming back on so I took it back at 62k miles. They found coolant leaking and cylinder still misfire which they tied to a blown head gasket ($4200 estimate).

I then reached out to customer service after realizing from advice on here that there was a 5 year/ 60k powertrain warranty that should cover this. I chatted with Chrysler Customer Service and they said I needed to bring the vehicle into a dealership to confirm the repair then they could escalate my case. The dealership was very unhelpful and said I would need to contact Chrysler on my own and they would not do anything for me in helping figure out the warranty.

Being skeptical, I called Chrysler Customer Service again this morning to ensure my ticket had all the info needed since the dealership was not going to assist me once I brought the van in this week to confirm the repair. The representative I talked to said I was given bad information from the previous representative and that I should not have made an appointment with the dealership. Since I'm currently at 62k and was not the original owner they could not to a goodwill extension on the warranty even though I can prove the issue occurred at 58k miles from my local repair shop. There was nothing else that could be done even though a supervisor is supposed to call me back this was the decision they had already determined.

This is by far the worst customer service experience I have been apart of not only from Chrysler. I will never by a Dodge/Chrysler product again if they do not stand by their products as the van has had nothing but electrical and engine issues since we bought it 2 years ago at only 40k miles. If they truly cared about customers they would acknowledge this is a frequent issue and honor fixing the issue especially since I can prove it occurred within the powertrain warranty window. So frustrated!!!
Update on the supervisor call back. I did not receive a call yesterday as promised. I called into Customer Support yesterday at 5PM and they said I would still be getting a call back by end of day 8PM. This morning I called back because I never got a phone call and they told me they indeed did call me and left a VM but could not confirm the phone number they called. After confirming my correct and only number on file they promised I would get a call back before 12PM today. I could not talk to a supervisor directly because they were all "in meetings" and cannot be transferred to. The time has come and gone, I called back again and am supposed to get a call in a few hours now. This is the 3rd promise they have made to call me back, two different stories on my case, we shall see. Horrible experience continues..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally after being hung up on 3 times, promised call backs that were never made, told the supervisor assigned to my case was out of the office, and misled several times I finally got a supervisor to call me back. Lucky for me they weren't any help just like the reps I spoke too. I got the same generic response of over 60k miles and not original owner so there is nothing they will do. This is not a likely known issue or recall. If I would have waited to get into the shop the 4-6 weeks then maybe I wouldn't be out $6k on this car. I'm done!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Finally after being hung up on 3 times, promised call backs that were never made, told the supervisor assigned to my case was out of the office, and misled several times I finally got a supervisor to call me back. Lucky for me they weren't any help just like the reps I spoke too. I got the same generic response of over 60k miles and not original owner so there is nothing they will do. This is not a likely known issue or recall. If I would have waited to get into the shop the 4-6 weeks then maybe I wouldn't be out $6k on this car. I'm done!
I get the answer from Chrysler (don't like it) but not the ridiculous run around with failed call backs.

So what are you asking for from the local repair shop that seems to have done unnecessary work at what may be a premium price? I suggest you get other quotes for the work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I get the answer from Chrysler (don't like it) but not the ridiculous run around with failed call backs.

So what are you asking for from the local repair shop that seems to have done unnecessary work at what may be a premium price? I suggest you get other quotes for the work.
Yeah, I have gotten other quotes all very similar around $4k (on top of $1400 already spent). I will haggle with the repair shop who did the initial coil pack replacement but I doubt they will credit that to take the engine apart again.

·
Registered
2017 Limited
92 Posts
I'm not surprised...it was always gonna be an uphill battle. I've never had much luck fighting with dealerships.

My father-in-law just bought a brand new Honda CRV, and the sunroof spontaneously shattered within the first 30 days while he was driving in a flat area with no other vehicles or buildings close by. There's zero indication anything hit the sunroof, but the Honda dealership says something must have hit it. Nevermind the fact that there are rampant reports on the internet of sunroofs and other tempered glass windows shattering spontaneously due to manufacturing flaws in the glass. And who cares if he just dropped almost $40,000 on the vehicle at the dealership. He still had to pay $1000 to have it repaired, and it took them close to 2 weeks to get him in.

It's too bad you're out so much and that you've had such an unpleasant experience. Our Pacifica is the favorite vehicle we've ever owned. It's drop-dead gorgeous, incredibly versatile, and drives wonderfully. I hope the rest of your ownership goes as smoothly as ours has.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts