2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone has any idea what’s the problem of this clicking sound behind dash when car is off? My 2018 Pacifica was hit from the front right fender at parking two months ago, and this clicking sound started to appear after turning engine off. Dealer first diagnosed battery problem and replaced both batteries, but the sound still exist. Then they diagnosed the actuator problem and replaced actuator, but the sound didn’t gone. Now the mechanic thought it might need to replace HVAC module (“voltage feedback when car off”). Waiting back order for the part, but sounds uncertain if it really can fix the problem. It is really annoying and seems keep draining the batteries when engine off. Any ideas?
Here is the link for the video:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like lots of guessing and parts-shotgunning. "Voltage feedback when car off" is baloney. Since this isn't a warranty issue, you're free to find a better mechanic or automotive electrician. By measuring the current flow through the various fused circuits they should be able to localize the current drain and find the shorted wire or failed module.

Reactions: Polaraco

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,207 Posts
Anyone has any idea what’s the problem of this clicking sound behind dash when car is off? My 2018 Pacifica was hit from the front right fender at parking two months ago, and this clicking sound started to appear after turning engine off. Dealer first diagnosed battery problem and replaced both batteries, but the sound still exist. Then they diagnosed the actuator problem and replaced actuator, but the sound didn’t gone. Now the mechanic thought it might need to replace HVAC module (“voltage feedback when car off”). Waiting back order for the part, but sounds uncertain if it really can fix the problem. It is really annoying and seems keep draining the batteries when engine off. Any ideas?
It definitely sounds like a bad recirculation door actuator, especially if it's coming from behind the glove box. This is a common problem that's relatively easy to fix. It's a $20 part that takes about under an hour to replace with the right tools. I installed the Dorman part (604-054) in our van last fall, and haven't had any issues since then. Here's a link to another thread for the same issue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's a bad re-circulation door actuator for sure. Mine had to exact same issue and just had it replaced. It would go on forever after the car turned off and the doors were opened. You could hear it if you adjusted the temp up or down as well. If you drop the glove box you should be able to hear it really good coming from around the air filter area. I used AlfaOBD to run a test myself on the actuator and it was definitely that. It took about two weeks for the part to come in for me. Seems to be a common issue with this model year.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It's a bad re-circulation door actuator for sure. Mine had to exact same issue and just had it replaced. It would go on forever after the car turned off and the doors were opened. You could hear it if you adjusted the temp up or down as well. If you drop the glove box you should be able to hear it really good coming from around the air filter area. I used AlfaOBD to run a test myself on the actuator and it was definitely that. It took about two weeks for the part to come in for me. Seems to be a common issue with this model year.
I had the same problem awhile back and it was fixed under warranty. Actually if you shut the car off and wait, it does finally stop its incessant oscillation. I have heard about this problem so many times. I hope the 3rd party replacement is beefier and lasts longer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem awhile back and it was fixed under warranty. Actually if you shut the car off and wait, it does finally stop its incessant oscillation. I have heard about this problem so many times. I hope the 3rd party replacement is beefier and lasts longer.
Yeah, it does shut off after awhile. I never had a problem with it draining the battery. At first I thought it was honestly just part of the shut down process, but then realized what it really was. It had been happening since I purchased it. It makes me wish now I had done it myself and used the 3rd party replacement. Something tells me I'll end up with the same issue again if this part is known to go bad so often.

Is there any information out there on how to do it yourself?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah, it does shut off after awhile. I never had a problem with it draining the battery. At first I thought it was honestly just part of the shut down process, but then realized what it really was. It had been happening since I purchased it. It makes me wish now I had done it myself and used the 3rd party replacement. Something tells me I'll end up with the same issue again if this part is known to go bad so often.

Is there any information out there on how to do it yourself?
Yeah, there’s some info here if you search around for it. I have not yet done it myself but it doesn’t sound to hard. Worst part is that the screws are a little difficult to get at apparently.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, there’s some info here if you search around for it. I have not yet done it myself but it doesn’t sound to hard. Worst part is that the screws are a little difficult to get at apparently.
Found some of the information. I bookmarked the Dorman 604-054 part on rockauto just in case. I believe this is it:
DORMAN 604054

Reactions: freddief73

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,207 Posts
Found some of the information. I bookmarked the Dorman 604-054 part on rockauto just in case. I believe this is it:
DORMAN 604054
Yes, that is the correct part (I actually referenced it in my previous post). So far, it actually seems to have a better track record than an OEM replacement IMO. I've read about at least two instances of the OEM part failing again within a couple months. I've had the Dorman part installed since last November, and it still works fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Be happy that the part is available. When mine went it was in and out of stock for months. I'd get an email that it was in stock and by the time I clicked through they were gone.

There was a lengthy thread on the site earlier about this, with a step by step guide. It's not hard. But it is a pretty tight space. I'm not overly big and it was still hard to reach some of the stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had the same noise for about a year on my 2018. I've not been hit. The sound seem to be something connected to turning off the light a few minutes after turning off the engine is turned off. I've noticed that the noise stops when the light go off. Not sure what it is but it sound like a clock of some kind.

·
Registered
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited, fully loaded.
55 Posts
I could not really hear much of anything in your video, but I think I may have the same thing happening as you've described. I've thought it was just a normal convection process from the a/c components after turning of the vehicle. So I've not been concerned. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this thread or not. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OMG! My 2018 has been making that noise since the day I got it in 2019. I thought that was just the way it was supposed to be. The actuator replacement is not beyond my skills, abilities, or tool sets. Ordered the Dorman actuator from Rockauto. Can't wait to get rid of that annoying flapping!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts