2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We own a 2017 Pacifica with 31K miles. We bought it brand new. We have had no issues whatsoever until we hit 30K miles. Then, the issues began. The newest issue that we just noticed is that there is a clunking-thumping noise coming from the driver's side front wheel well. This is felt the most when driving at slow speeds of 18-22 miles per hour. The driver can feel the thumping coming from under the left foot when placed close to the wheel well. The noise frequency follows the road surface's texture and is different than the consistent clicking type of sound one might get due to the rolling of the wheel. We have just gotten our Pacifica back from the shop after 2 weeks to fix the bubbling paint issue on the hood, and now we have to bring it back again for another issue. I hope the dealer can figure out what is wrong with the car and fix it quickly, otherwise I am seriously considering trading it in for another brand vehicle before our warranty is up. We still love our Pacifica, but reliability and safety trumps everything.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Thanks.
Just got our 2020 Pacifica (less than 5k miles on it) and started hearing exactly what you describe. Will take to the dealer next weekend.

Thanks for the detailed description on your issue.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just got our 2020 Pacifica (less than 5k miles on it) and started hearing exactly what you describe. Will take to the dealer next weekend.

Thanks for the detailed description on your issue.
I had to take mine back two weeks later from the other listed repairs all was good and it started again. They replaced the lower control arm, sound has not come back since. While they had it apart they did the hub bearing TSB on both sides being they already had one side fully apart. That TSB was listed at 14 hours. YIKES! Glad it was under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
587 Posts
I had to take mine back two weeks later from the other listed repairs all was good and it started again. They replaced the lower control arm, sound has not come back since. While they had it apart they did the hub bearing TSB on both sides being they already had one side fully apart. That TSB was listed at 14 hours. YIKES! Glad it was under warranty.
Do you have any information on the hub bearing TSB? Is is only for Hybrids? My 2018 gas sounds like the bearing is going on the drivers side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As for this clunking noise from the front end of your late model Pacifica, I had that on my used 2018 with 25,000 miles. It was especially noticeable driving on a unpaved driveway. I remember reading a long term test of a Pacifica in Motor Trend before buying mine and they mentioned the dealer replaced the front sway bar links. So I just ordered Moog sway bar links from Rock Auto. They are more heavy duty than OE and have grease fittings. Since I replaced these, I've had no more clunking. They are less expensive than the OE links as well. I hope that this info helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I’m starting to wonder if this is my problem. Even at slow speeds, when I ease off the accelerator, I immediately here the think, almost like something dropping and bouncing under my left resting foot on driver’s side. Beyond frustrated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
ok so i just read about the hub axle thread, now u guys are talking about the shocks too....bad shocks shouldnt be klanky right

so frustrating
anyone in orange california have a good dealer that wont give u **** when trying to get work done even when u have a extended warrenty

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a clucking noise, apparently it's a corroded strut mount on a 2018 (45k miles) Pacifica and Chrysler don't want to know as the corrosion warranty only applies to body panels. Sounds like manufacturing defect as these parts should not corrode this early (and nothing around the mount shows any evidence of corrosion). I'd be interested to know if this is a wider issue? $800 repair bill is all on me...not impressed with the quality, if I'm having corrosion problems at 30 months I'm worried for the future!

·
Registered
152 Posts
so when i took my car in for this, they came back to me and said it was also a corroded strut housing...im like how does that happen in california.

tech took it for a ride and still same noise so they have now ordered the left shaft half axle
i received a notecard stating my parts were here CH68494387-aa
i cant seem to find this part on a website of parts...can someone post what it looks like.
will get van in this week and see what happens

·
Registered
2017 Touring L - Bright White, Black/Alloy w/Nav
16 Posts
I have a clucking noise, apparently it's a corroded strut mount on a 2018 (45k miles) Pacifica and Chrysler don't want to know as the corrosion warranty only applies to body panels.
It seemed strange to me too so I looked it up. It looks like it's part of the strut assembly rather than the body (which is actually a relief, in my opinion). A piece of the strut assembly is much easier replaced than a repair to the strut tower. Of course, that's still an $800 repair you shouldn't have to deal with this early.

If you look at the diagram in the link below, you'll see it's Part #4 in the diagram.
Link

I'm hearing some similar noises from my front end so I'm going to have to take a look at my strut mounts when (or more like if) I find the time. I had a look at my swaybar end links and bushings recently and they looked ok.

Given that the Pacifica is known for hard shifting, I wonder if some people might see premature wear of engine or transmission mounts or even subframe bushings. It's another suspicion with my van.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts