2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking out Pacifica vs Grand Caravan GT.
My main interest is getting the Safety Tec (ST) or Advanced Safety Tec (AST) system. On the Caravan, ST is only available on the pricey GT ($34,395). If FCA had any real interest in safety, they'd make ST available on all lines.
As for the Pacifica, I'd love to get the AST, but you have to get a Touring-L+ ($38,295) to get that. Lots of extra bucks and extra gimcracks, and it includes leather seats, while I want cloth. Again, if FCA had any real interest in safety, they'd make AST available on all lines.
At first, GT looked like a money saver even tho I'd get stuck with leather, but it looks like Pacifica has a new model, the Touring + that has cloth seating can be had with ST. AND!! it's actually cheaper than the GT at $32,360!! The GT has a few features extra, like heated 2nd row seats, dimming inside mirror, heated steering wheel, that I don't need.
I refuse to consider competing makes, as Stow&Go is a must for the way I use my van (currently a 2013 Grand Caravan SXT). If I couldn't get that I'd drive a sedan with a big trunk.
A final thought- I love the dual gloveboxes and Super Console on my '13 GC. With a little planning, they could have been put into the Pacifica. My wife had a cow when I told her the Pacifica didn't have them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
04Quadcab. I'm assuming by your comparison post that you've test driven the Pacifica, having said that I'm sure you've discovered that the Caravan and Pac are as different as night and day. The ride quality, quietness, tightness (no rattles) of the Pacifica is head and shoulders above the Caravan as it was over my 14' T&C. I have the Touring-L, and yes it has leather, and SafetyTech was standard, and like you going up to the Touring-L + for a lot of features that I really don't have a use for didn't make any sense. I do miss the dual glove box, and the more functional center console that I had on my 2014 T&C, and the heated steering wheel (standard). I'm totally satisfied with this vehicle, and I thoroughly enjoy driving it each every time I get in it.

Good luck making your decision between the two, and if you do go the Pacifica route I'm sure your wife will quickly forget about the super console and dual glove boxes.

<

·
Registered
229 Posts
My main interest is getting the Safety Tec (ST) or Advanced Safety Tec (AST) system. On the Caravan, ST is only available on the pricey GT ($34,395). If FCA had any real interest in safety, they'd make ST available on all lines.
As for the Pacifica, I'd love to get the AST, but you have to get a Touring-L+ ($38,295) to get that. Lots of extra bucks and extra gimcracks, and it includes leather seats, while I want cloth. Again, if FCA had any real interest in safety, they'd make AST available on all lines.
At first, GT looked like a money saver even tho I'd get stuck with leather, but it looks like Pacifica has a new model, the Touring + that has cloth seating can be had with ST. AND!! it's actually cheaper than the GT at $32,360!! The GT has a few features extra, like heated 2nd row seats, dimming inside mirror, heated steering wheel, that I don't need.
I refuse to consider competing makes, as Stow&Go is a must for the way I use my van (currently a 2013 Grand Caravan SXT). If I couldn't get that I'd drive a sedan with a big trunk.
A final thought- I love the dual gloveboxes and Super Console on my '13 GC. With a little planning, they could have been put into the Pacifica. My wife had a cow when I told her the Pacifica didn't have them.
If safety is important to you then the Caravan should be disqualified from consideration due to the IIHS small overlap test results.

For price comparisons the MSRP is meaningless due to the large incentives Chrysler always has available.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would not recommend a GC (or T&C) ever over the Pacifica... regardless of price.

Get a cheaper Kia instead if you are looking to save money.

I did not enjoy the 4 days I had with the GC (other than the remote start)... the Pacifica, although it shares internal design cues/parts/setup with the GC, is a totally different vanimal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree. Just changed a 2015 T&C LTD for a Pacifica Touring L+ and the Pacifica is way better. Why would anyone prefer cloth seats to leather??? So much easier to clean. So much nicer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Central Fla: Yes, I've test driven the Pacifica (not very far, tho) and was thoroughly impressed with the ride & quietness. After driving it I felt like throwing rocks at my GC.
dmg2010: Yes, the frontal overlap test does bother me, particularly the intrusion of the parking brake into the leg. Since I first saw that I have adopted a policy of seeking the outside lane on 4 lane streets just to avoid some fool wandering over the line and hitting the left front of my car.
OCpacifica: As I said, if it ain't got Stow&Go, it ain't for me!!

Well, thanks, guys for straightening out my thinking. I'm just basically a cheapskate and don't want to spend any more than necessary. My '13 has 86K miles and I take very good care of it mechanically and cosmetically, plus I have at least another 40K miles left in my Continental tires. My 2013 looks & drives like a new car. My original plan was to drive it to at least 200K, but now they've put something out that is clearly much nicer & safer. Consequently, I'm thinking maybe another 20-30K and I'll move on to the Pacifica. You may wonder why I'm looking now- well, I'm 77 yrs old and my next car could well be my last, so I want to get it right.
Anyone know when the Touring Plus was added to the line? New for 2018?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Anyone know when the Touring Plus was added to the line? New for 2018?

The Touring Plus was added to the line up within the past 3-4 months as a 2017.

<

·
Registered
999 Posts
There is no comparison between those two lol

BTW, Emergency braking to be standard on all cars in the US by 2022. Automatic Emergency Braking Will Be Standard in Most U.S. Cars by 2022 - NBC News

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
There is no comparison between those two lol
]
May be so. But the fact remains that the Dodge GC is a really well sorted, reliable car which will not break your bank. I had rented the same 2017 GT model last weekend and was actually surprised with the comfort and confidence this minivan exudes. The stow and go area seems to be bigger than Pacifica (but I may be wrong here) and it swollowed all of my grocery shopping there. The one thing that let it down for me was it's dated halogen headlamps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Why would anyone prefer cloth seats to leather??? So much easier to clean. So much nicer.
Leather gets super hot in the summer, cloth is nice and cool without having to get super premium perforated leather.
Leather sticks to skin if you wear shorts. Yuck.
Leather is harder to repair.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Leather gets super hot in the summer, cloth is nice and cool without having to get super premium perforated leather.
Leather sticks to skin if you wear shorts. Yuck.
Leather is harder to repair.
I know this is a futile argument. How do i know, because I used to say all of those things until I owned my first car with leather. Leather does not equal 80's vinyl. The hot and sticky argument was definitely the case with vinyl but not so with leather. A repair is a repair. If you tear fabric a repair is also going to be ugly. I think that they have come a long way with all automotive interiors. The cloth, leather and even the simulated leather (non-touch) surfaces are all much better than they were 20 years ago. But, the argument that cloth is better is a hard sell for me.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know this is a futile argument. How do i know, because I used to say all of those things until I owned my first car with leather. Leather does not equal 80's vinyl. The hot and sticky argument was definitely the case with vinyl but not so with leather. A repair is a repair. If you tear fabric a repair is also going to be ugly. I think that they have come a long way with all automotive interiors. The cloth, leather and even the simulated leather (non-touch) surfaces are all much better than they were 20 years ago. But, the argument that cloth is better is a hard sell for me.

Just my $.02
Not futile. I'm open to new information. I'll reduce my cloth pros to the skin sticking and perhaps super heated seats when it sits in the sun. I could go either way, personally.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little more cushioning would be nice

Not futile. I'm open to new information. I'll reduce my cloth pros to the skin sticking and perhaps super heated seats when it sits in the sun. I could go either way, personally.
One thing I think I notice is that leather seats seem to have less give to them. Whether that is true or not, I do think the current craze (actually been going on for quite a few yrs now) toward firmer and firmer seats bugs me. Some months back I rode in the back seat of a Dart, and it was like sitting on an upholstered concrete bench. I really don't find the Pacifica seats to be soft enough to suit me. Some of the engineers need to take a ride in our old '92 Caravan to see what a comfortable seat feels like. Maybe the enthusiast magazines' raving about how supportive these hard seats are is related to the general weight gain of the populace. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of padding on my backside.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
One thing I think
I do think the current craze (actually been going on for quite a few yrs now) toward firmer and firmer seats bugs me. Some months back I rode in the back seat of a Dart, and it was like sitting on an upholstered concrete bench. I really don't find the Pacifica seats to be soft enough to suit me. Some of the engineers need to take a ride in our old '92 Caravan to see what a comfortable seat feels like. Maybe the enthusiast magazines' raving about how supportive these hard seats are is related to the general weight gain of the populace. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of padding on my backside.
I completely agree with this statement. I need some really comfortable seats. I don't need more support. I have enough support from my bones. :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Isn't it easier to make a firm seat softer (pad or pad cover) than a soft seat firmer?

The GC I had for 3 days were way too soft for me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The arguments about the differences with hot weather and leather isn't approaching the concerns for below -15 C. With cloth seats I found the shock of the cold on the ass-end is much more comfortable than the leather seats. Heated leather is so nice. But no leather in my Caravan. The span of time I might be talking about here is for the first 4 or so minutes. But its my opinion and I can be a crybaby for 5 minutes if I want to.

I'm a fan of the firm seat. After 5 hours I don't have to get out to stretch. No slouching. Semi-firm under-knee support keeps my leg circulation proper. I also use cruise much of the time so that helps. If the family is with me we stop for meals. Otherwise lets go go go.

One comment about the seats is I like how the headrests in the trucks seem to be leaning forward to nearly make contact for head support. The gap on my GC certainly doesn't protect me from whiplash. Some of the other vehicles have the headrest that shoots forward to catch you. A mini reverse airbag if you will.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Any guesses about what the 2018 changes will be for the Dodge GC, except of course for the airbags.

I?m predicting a new front / rear end, completely revamped interior (including seats), HID/ LED headlights for the upper trims, new colors and rims and possibly the S package. Well, Okay,......there?s nothing wrong in wishing....right.....? :D.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Can anyone from the Windsor plant comment on the changes if they can see it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have had our 2018 Pac S for a month now, had a rental Pac for a 2week roadtrip before purchasing. Needles to say we fell in love with the Pac.

Just came home from four days having a rental GC in Houston. OMG the ride in GC is horrible! It’s very harsh and unforgiving. Chrysler made leaps and bounds improvements with the Pac. Very comfortable. Stay away from the GC in my opinion for just this reason alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Any guesses about what the 2018 changes will be for the Dodge GC, except of course for the airbags.

I?m predicting a new front / rear end, completely revamped interior (including seats), HID/ LED headlights for the upper trims, new colors and rims and possibly the S package. Well, Okay,......there?s nothing wrong in wishing....right.....? :D.
My guess is that they will let the Dodge GC die a slow death. Milking it like the last years of the PT Cruiser.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
14 Participants
Toast
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing