2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Concerned about fire issue should i buy 2018

4K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  stop-eject 
#1 ·
After holding back in 2017 and 2018 in hopes of a full electric large people mover, we were prepared to buy a pacifica this year as it appears the Portal and others may still take a while.

Looked around and have a good deal on a 2018 limited hybrid new 43500 after tax and title. In researching in preparation to buy saw the issues with the fires and photo of the burnt car. Also, learned that this vehicle had the U73 and U94 recalls - fixed in 2018. Now getting hesitant- anyone with 2018 pacifica hybrid with fixed U73 and U94 have advice. Given recent events, would guys still buy a pacifica hybrid?

It also appears chyrsler consumer service has done a poor job in handling and investigating fire cases that could have had potential lethal complications. Are you guys concerned about this as well.

Look forward to seeing your replies and advice

#2 ·
We don't really need yet another fire thread without any new data to discuss. Are you planning to keep the car for a long time? A 2018 has been sitting on the lot for a year or so, the traction battery was likely fully charged or fully discharged- both undesirable for a long term storage. It is hard to tell if the price is good without knowing the sticker and the price before tax and title. Does your van has the Advanced Safety Package?

#8 ·
Think of it this way. If you had just read a couple of newspaper articles about wood frame houses catching fire recently would that prevent you from buying a wood frame house? If your house burnt to the ground would you say, “I’m never gonna live in a wood frame house again.”?

Is it possible that some have signed up to this forum simply because they’ve had a bad experience and want to air their grievances? When you see a user name with “fire” as part of the name that’s most likely what has happened. Ask yourself how many PacHy drivers out there are going merrily about their way without a care in the world and they’ve never even heard about these forums. My guess is that a disproportionate number of people with axes to grind have signed up to these forums to tell us their stories. And that’s ok. I don’t mind hearing about these sorts of things. Just keep in mind that the information you’re seeing here is unfortunately not indicative of what the average owner is experiencing.

#19 ·
I would have to imagine some people would test drive it as well, or the dealer even use it to haul people from time to time, give out as a loaner, etc...I would also tend to believe the Hybrid battery has a much longer warranty, at least it should. Here in CA, they are picky about that kind of stuff and it would be like 10 years on the hybrid battery, but not the 12 volt engine battery. Our hybrid Escape was that way, and while we did nothing special to it, and we bought it used, that car never had a battery issue of any kind for the 8 years we had it. We traded it in at 10 years old with like 150,000 miles.

Reactions: m0ebius604
#24 ·
Always have to do a load test on a suspect battery. Any mechanic or auto parts place should have a load tester with a high wattage resistor load, in addition to a voltmeter. Sneaky dealer...now has to replace the battery with a new one. For the dealer it will now probably fall under warranty work, instead of having to pay for it themselves.

Reactions: m0ebius604 and Frig
#27 ·
Yes could be all of the above :). I really dont think it was intentional but who knows. spent an extra 2 hours before purchase just to have the 12v monitored. The problem seems to be most of the chyrsler sales guys and service guys are not very familiar with plug ins from tax incentives to service. Poor education on the part of chrysler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.