2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I am looking at a low mileage 2017 PacHy and, like many other posters on this forum, have seen some of the eyebrow-raising issues faced by the vehicle and some horror stories about their dealership's response and expertise in addressing them. I am trying to keep it all in perspective knowing that these types of forums tend to over-represent bad experiences over positive ones.

That said:
  • It appears to me that the most frequent significant issue boils down to the UConnect system having significant issues being the "brain" of the PacHy. I have ready all of the forum threads I can on the issue and haven't yet been able to get a clear answer to this question: Have UConnect OTA (Over the Air) updates made UConnect a stable platform after the initial reported issues? Or are folks still experiencing issues with the latest installed software?
  • There are plenty of reports of issues within the first 500 or so miles (the dreaded red turtle, sudden loss of power, etc) - but once a PacHy is beyond that - say to 5000 miles, are there any common issues experienced in the standard warranty mileage?
  • Are there any key questions I can use with the dealer that would help me differentiate whether this is on of the minority "trouble PacHys" vs. a reliable one?
Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
675 Posts
Your post was held for approval. You're good to go now. I'm sure some folks will chime in on your questions.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi all - I am looking at a low mileage 2017 PacHy and, like many other posters on this forum, have seen some of the eyebrow-raising issues faced by the vehicle and some horror stories about their dealership's response and expertise in addressing them. I am trying to keep it all in perspective knowing that these types of forums tend to over-represent bad experiences over positive ones.

That said:
  • It appears to me that the most frequent significant issue boils down to the UConnect system having significant issues being the "brain" of the PacHy. I have ready all of the forum threads I can on the issue and haven't yet been able to get a clear answer to this question: Have UConnect OTA (Over the Air) updates made UConnect a stable platform after the initial reported issues? Or are folks still experiencing issues with the latest installed software?
  • There are plenty of reports of issues within the first 500 or so miles (the dreaded red turtle, sudden loss of power, etc) - but once a PacHy is beyond that - say to 5000 miles, are there any common issues experienced in the standard warranty mileage?
  • Are there any key questions I can use with the dealer that would help me differentiate whether this is on of the minority "trouble PacHys" vs. a reliable one?
Thanks in advance!
1) My UConnect is pretty stable. Nothing other than minor annoyances.
2) We’ve now got over 4600 on our ‘18 PacHy and the only real issue I’ve had is that the 12v battery died while I was on vacation for two weeks.
3) I think questions to the dealer won’t help that much. They’re in it to sell you the car so they’re not going to tell you anything that would sway you away from buying.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
All I would say is, if that car didn't start on the test drive, don't buy it ....whatever the dealer promises to do afterwards.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Welcome! I also have a 2017 and have been very happy with mine (~18 months and 22K miles). I've had 2 check-engine-lights in that time. In both cases, the car was safe to drive while the dealer ordered a part and then installed. I've also taken it in for a couple of recalls, but it was never out of service for more than a couple of hours at a time.

First off, UConnect for the 2017s is different than UConnect for the 2018s. I never had any of the problems that were reported on the forum with my UConnect, but the 2017s are lacking both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I can still play audio from my phone using either Bluetooth or the USB connection, but some apps don't interact with UConnect like they do for the 2018 version.

If you know the VIN of this vehicle, I might check to see if there's a vehicle history online (CarFax or some similar site). Most of the reported problems do seem to be with fairly low mileage, except for the 12v battery. Since it sounds like Chrysler doesn't use a high-quality battery, I'll probably go to an independent shop if mine needs replacing in the future.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Welcome! I also have a 2017 and have been very happy with mine (~18 months and 22K miles). I've had 2 check-engine-lights in that time. In both cases, the car was safe to drive while the dealer ordered a part and then installed.
Just curious, what were the defective parts?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
As far as I know the warranty is transferable. Just not sure about the hybrid part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I m happy with my 2018. Have 10.5 k miles since Nov 2017. Only problems so far few uconnect intermittent errors (all self resolved almost immediately) and recently heated steering wheel stopped heating -will fix it next time there is a recall - too minor to worry about in california. Other then that did 2 recalls. I use Android auto all the time -would get one with android auto Google maps so much better than built in GPS

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just curious, what were the defective parts?
1 - Fuel tank isolation valve - I don't recall what the code was for this one, but in addition to the CEL coming on, the fuel filler door wouldn't open when I pushed the button on the door. We were out of town, so the local dealer pointed out that there's a pull-cord in the storage compartment in the back left (where the tire inflation kit is stored) which you can use to manually open the fuel filler door, so we were still able to refuel while waiting for the part. It hasn't been a problem since they replaced the valve about 12 months ago.

2 - Battery coolant heater connection - The code was U112400 - There was RRT for this (18-026) earlier this year, but the problem didn't occur until the weather turned colder.

The RRT are a known problem that aren't as severe as a recall... generally the dealer waits until you have the symptom or ask to have it checked.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just confirming, are you buying the Pachy from a Chrysler dealer that has some sort of warranty or guarantee? I definitely would not buy one from a third party dealer. But a Chrysler dealer would have to have all the recalls taken care of. I would just take my time test driving it and checking it out. Tell them you want to drive it around town on electric, then get on the highway and run the electric battery down then drive a bit on full hybrid mode. Do some nice low speed driving too and see how it feels. It think if there was an issue, you'd be able to tell right away. Does this Pachy have more than 10,000 miles on it? Look through the hybrid info on the UConnect and see if the previous owners were balanced between using hybrid and electric miles. That would also let you know that all components should be broken in. Just some random thoughts. Good luck on your purchase!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would agree with being concerned for the 2017 first year PacHy models. They did indeed have issues. However the 2018s were much more reliable and I just got a 2019 after trade-in of a 2018 (upgraded to limited version). I had 5K on the 2018 without problems. I have seen a new 2017 still available locally priced at $36K (then you still get a $7,500 rebate on next year taxes as a plug-in). I passed on the 2017 just because I want the higher reliability and would be too worried about the first year model. But it does have a new warranty, and your 2017 may have a warranty still outstanding. As to your question if most of the bugs are worked out after 5K miles, I don't know, but I would hazard a guess that this would be so. Either way, if you got an amazing price and still have miles/time on the 3yr/36K warranty, then there is little to worry about initially as it would be covered. Let us know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts