1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CR reliability rating of PacHy:
2021: 2/5
2020: 5/5
Anyone knows how CR decided that 2021 is going to be less reliable compared to 2020 model? Their previous year reliability numbers make sense give so many reports I see here. But these two years seem anomalous.

Edit: I am in the market to buy a new car. Trying to figure out whether Chrysler or CR has screwed bigtime in 2021.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On CR the 2021 is 'Predicted Reliability' and has no data yet. The 2020 has actual data and is 'Reliability' (vs 'Predicted').

I am in the same boat, I've got a 2014 Chrysler T&C and thinking about a replacement as it has 120K on it now, and is starting to show its age in various ways. It's pretty much either the Pacifica (which I've driven a few times as a rental), a Sedona, or a certified Grand Caravan GT.

The Stow n Go is a big thing for us, which Sedona doesn't have. We use our van as a cargo van half the time.

But the Sedona has a full 1.6" of ground clearance vs the Pacifica, which has the exact same ground clearance as my 2017 Lincoln MKZ (5.1"). The old T&C/GC have about 5.7". This is kind of a big deal in rural areas, and I've bottomed out the Pacifica both times I rented one. Not bad, but I was trying not to. That extra ground clearance makes a big difference on a long wheelbase vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bay, am I happy that I went and bought a 2020! It will never ever break down!
It's weird, just like OP said. 5/5 reliability on CR for 2020, and everything they reported was body hardware (trim and such) - no mechanical or electrical issues. Prior years were 1/5 (2017) and 2/5.

Also NHTSA reports of issues on 2020 Pacificas is extremely low. Seems like the golden year of Pacifica for reliability.

Maybe minivan drivers aren't driving much due to covid, but they wouldn't be driving other vehicles much either and CR ratings are relative to the average.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
187 Posts
On CR the 2021 is 'Predicted Reliability' and has no data yet. The 2020 has actual data and is 'Reliability' (vs 'Predicted').

I am in the same boat, I've got a 2014 Chrysler T&C and thinking about a replacement as it has 120K on it now, and is starting to show its age in various ways. It's pretty much either the Pacifica (which I've driven a few times as a rental), a Sedona, or a certified Grand Caravan GT.

The Stow n Go is a big thing for us, which Sedona doesn't have. We use our van as a cargo van half the time.

But the Sedona has a full 1.6" of ground clearance vs the Pacifica, which has the exact same ground clearance as my 2017 Lincoln MKZ (5.1"). The old T&C/GC have about 5.7". This is kind of a big deal in rural areas, and I've bottomed out the Pacifica both times I rented one. Not bad, but I was trying not to. That extra ground clearance makes a big difference on a long wheelbase vehicle.
I as looking at a Grand Caravan GT as well I could have saved a fair amount on the cost of the vehicle.
What really sold me on a Pacifica was all the updated features that the GC just doesn't have.
My favorite is Enter-N-Go just walk up to the door and grab the door handle and the door unlocks. Then just put your foot on the break and press the start button. Keys never leave my pocket.
Then there is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, I like that the interior feels wider I'm not sure it actually is or not.

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited S, black/black, safety, tri-pane roof
38 Posts

There's a discussion thread somewhere on the forum about lifting the Pacifica an inch or so. Probably find it through the search

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2021 PacHy has 5.1" of ground clearance! After worrying wanton, I realized that it is not all bad. This probably allows it to have more stability against rollovers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I as looking at a Grand Caravan GT as well I could have saved a fair amount on the cost of the vehicle.
What really sold me on a Pacifica was all the updated features that the GC just doesn't have.
My favorite is Enter-N-Go just walk up to the door and grab the door handle and the door unlocks. Then just put your foot on the break and press the start button. Keys never leave my pocket.
Then there is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, I like that the interior feels wider I'm not sure it actually is or not.
So here's the funny thing with all that. My 2014 Town & Country is a Limited, later years they split it into limited / limited platinum, and the 2014 limited = limited platinum. It has the walk up and touch the handle to unlock the doors, blind spot warning sensors as well as normal backup sensors, rear cross traffic sensors, push button start, DVD + Blu-Ray players with separate screens for 2nd and 3rd row, sunroof, tow package, 115V outlets in the back along with HDMI / composite inputs and usb ports, and power \remote 3rd row, doors, and trunk, plus upgraded 9 speaker sound system with a subwoofer. I think most folks have no idea that they had all of that 7 years ago. This is why I said the GT was a downgrade for me.

So the only thing I'm missing is Apple Carplay. I definitely like the way the Pacifica drives better, and it's a quieter vehicle. The only things I really care about though are the rear cross traffic alerts, blind spot monitoring, the tow package. The problem is that GTs with the sensors are rare, and the Pac has super low ground clearance. Tow kits can be added to either, but I'd have some reservations about putting a tow kit on a long wheelbase minivan with only 5.1" of ground clearance.

I'm really looking at the AWD Pac now. From what I've read they have 0.8" extra clearance except at one point on the exhaust where it has to clear the driveshaft to the rear diff. That may be a good compromise.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
CR reliability rating of PacHy:
2021: 2/5
2020: 5/5
Anyone knows how CR decided that 2021 is going to be less reliable compared to 2020 model? Their previous year reliability numbers make sense give so many reports I see here. But these two years seem anomalous.

Edit: I am in the market to buy a new car. Trying to figure out whether Chrysler or CR has screwed bigtime in 2021.
To me that makes perfect sense. Refresh, new infotainment, new AWD system and Chrysler's track record with new systems like that. Thats why I chose to get a 2020 vs waiting for a 2021 after my experience with my 2017. New Chrysler anything is a game of russian roulette, wait a few years and let them work the kinks out.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
187 Posts
If you want the tow package get it factory installed. It will hove a higher towing capacity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts