2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm hoping someone had already figured out a carseat (rear facing convertible) that actually installs properly in the 2nd row center seat. We really want the baby in the middle so my older daughter can be next to her to help out when she's crying etc. The little guy hates his infant seat so we wanted to upgrade to a convertible. Nothing is working well though. Tried the combi coccoro and it fits but keeps sliding because of the rounded bottom. Tried the Graco Contender 65 but because the center seat narrows in where the buckles are, it rocks back and forth no matter how tight I get the belt or latch. We are getting so frustrated. Never had to even think about it in our old odyssey...everything installed easily.

Any suggestions (bonus if it works well on plane too) would be so appreciated.

Tara

·
Registered
996 Posts
Any suggestions (bonus if it works well on plane too) would be so appreciated.

Tara
No direct suggestions, but The Car Seat Lady might be able to help. :smile2:

Welcome to the forum. Let us know how this all works out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks:) Yes I love the Car Seat Lady, as well as Car Seats for the Littles. Problem is her article on the Pacifica is pretty old now and she only tested a few seats, none of which work for us budget wise. If I find something I'll update this post:)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Thanks:) Yes I love the Car Seat Lady, as well as Car Seats for the Littles. Problem is her article on the Pacifica is pretty old now and she only tested a few seats, none of which work for us budget wise. If I find something I'll update this post:)
You might have to compromise a little on this. One of her suggestions was to put the baby on one of the side seats and have your older person sit in the middle. Is the 3rd row a possibility?

In any case, it would help if you let us know exactly what Pacifica version you have. Is it a gas vehicle with the optional center seat or perhaps a hybrid with the fixed (no Stow n Go) seats?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I don't have kids in car seats now. Try the search feature of the forum. There may be some threads related to what you need.
I understand that you want the baby in the middle, but if nothing else works, you may need to put the convertible seat on one side and the older child in the middle. Not ideal, I understand. If you find a post that helps, you might be able to message the member to ask more questions or check posts for more info.
Here a few posts/threads to get you started.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/112393-post24.html
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/505-child-safety-car-seats/9985-any-families-front-rear-facing-child-seats-here.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/505-child-safety-car-seats/2841-3-rear-facing-child-seats.html?nojs=1#goto_threadtools

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry, the car we have is the 2019 Limited with 8 seat config. Worst case scenario we could put the booster seat in the middle and have the baby outboard, that's a good point. I'm going to attempt to find something for the baby that works in the middle first though because it's so darn convenient to be able to slide into the empty 2nd row window seat and close the door so I can nurse baby before putting him in the seat, if needed, or just to be able to take my time getting him buckled in without worrying about standing in the cold or rain with the door open. Hehe and my daughter would have a fit if she had to sit in 3rd row because she loooooves the entertainment center lol.

I did search the forum first and didn't find anything that quite fit our situation, which is why I posted. Most of the posts were for older Pacifica models too. I'll check again though 🙂

Thank you!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have you looked at the Diono car seats? https://us.diono.com/product/radian-3-rxt/
They're very narrow, and if you have trouble with the angle when rear-facing, you can get a foam wedge that buys you a few inches https://us.diono.com/product/angle-adjuster/

I haven't tried the car seats in the Pacifica's center seat, but they're the most flexible I've used so far - I'm able to get three of them side by side in my Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Sorry, the car we have is the 2019 Limited with 8 seat config. Worst case scenario we could put the booster seat in the middle and have the baby outboard, that's a good point. I'm going to attempt to find something for the baby that works in the middle first though because it's so darn convenient to be able to slide into the empty 2nd row window seat and close the door so I can nurse baby before putting him in the seat, if needed, or just to be able to take my time getting him buckled in without worrying about standing in the cold or rain with the door open. Hehe and my daughter would have a fit if she had to sit in 3rd row because she loooooves the entertainment center lol.

I did search the forum first and didn't find anything that quite fit our situation, which is why I posted. Most of the posts were for older Pacifica models too. I'll check again though 🙂

Thank you!
Any 2017+ Pacifica with 8 seats should be the same as the 2019 Pacifica with 8 seats as far as the 2nd row center seat is concerned. Be sure to post if you find something that works.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Any suggestions (bonus if it works well on plane too) would be so appreciated. Tara
What do you think of this one? Looks like Target, Walmart, and Amazon may have some of the three color choices as well.
My Ride? 65 Convertible Car Seat | gracobaby.com

Seems like we used rolled towels or part of a pool noodle to help with the angle or positioning of one of our car seats years ago.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What do you think of this one? Looks like Target, Walmart, and Amazon may have the three colors as well.

My Ride? 65 Convertible Car Seat | gracobaby.com

Seems like we used rolled towels or part of a pool noodle to help with the angle or positioning of one of our car seats years ago.
We had that car seat and I hated it. Super pain in the butt to remove and the cover never held on tight enough.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
We had that car seat and I hated it. Super pain in the butt to remove and the cover never held on tight enough.
Did you have it in the second row, center position for the purpose the OP is looking for? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The issue is trying to loosen the strap regardless. The way to loosen the buckle isn't with a button that just unclips the seat from the latch. You have to press on a poorly designed button on the strap to loosen it. And over time that button gets REALLY hard to press. The last time I had to take that seat or I used a box cutter and cut the strap and ordered new ones that has the buttons for each side to release the seat.

https://www.babygearlab.com/reviews/vehicle-safety/convertible-car-seat/graco-myride-65-lx

"Loosening the LATCH anchors is tough, and we struggled to get it to release once we did get it tight. Thankfully you won't need to do this very often, but when you do, you might need help it is such a bear."

I think I'm going to purchase the Britax Emblem. It's on clearance right now at some Walmarts for $99. You can if it is locally on sale by checking www.brickseek.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all. Quick update. I was able to install a Safety 1st Guide 65 using rolled towel. It is light, cheap and narrow so fits what we were looking for. Only problem is the need for pool noodles or rolled towels. Not super convenient when traveling.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi all. Quick update. I was able to install a Safety 1st Guide 65 using rolled towel. It is light, cheap and narrow so fits what we were looking for. Only problem is the need for pool noodles or rolled towels. Not super convenient when traveling.
Glad you found something that fit your needs and posted results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the safety 1st did work except my husband can't drive the car comfortably because his seat setting pushes against the carseat. We are going to keep it as a lightweight travel seat.
What did work even better, with super easy install (no noodle needed) and lots of room between it and the drivers seat, was a Chicco Nextfit. My daughter sits next to her in the Britax Frontier and has just enough room to buckle get seat belt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts