2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife, who's in the tier 1 group, got a reservation yesterday for her first shot at the first local public campaign.

She prepped the van (full battery, full gas tank, food, water) and left an hour early. Due to many delays, she finally got home 9.26 hours later....... and she never turned off the pachy the whole time. Trip was approx. 27 highway miles each way. She used up most of the battery getting there so the van spent most of the next 9 hours in hybrid mode in stop and go line cuing with light use of the HVAC (mid-40's F but sunny day). I'm impressed!

IMG_7805.jpeg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The heater is electric so you shouldn’t be afraid to use it as it doesn’t take that much draw
It was a cool but sunny day so the green house effect along with the heated seats were more than enough. In fact, she would crack the windows to regulate temps. So, very light HVAC load. She said she rarely heard the ICE.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The heater is electric so you shouldn’t be afraid to use it as it doesn’t take that much draw
Yes it does. Draws 7~ kW at full load, will drain the battery in just under 2 hours. Generally I see it continuously draw 4-5 kW to maintain 70 degrees inside when it's freezing outside (without direct sunlight). His wife was lucky that the sun did most of the heating, and it will use residual heat from the ICE to maintain temps for a bit/reduce electric heating load.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
So you bought a van to not use hvac in summer or winter? It’s a phev and if battery goes down it will use the engine or go in hybrid mode . I guess your type of guys that don’t use ac in house in summer too , any vehicle will draw power from anything being utilized . You might as well turn radio off as well ..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As 392 said, yes it does draw a lot. The current trend in EV's is to move away from high-draw resistance heaters to more efficient heat pumps.

Over a decade ago when I got into PHEV's, I, Iike many others, would try to make all my trips 100% EV even when temps or speeds made it inefficient or silly to do so. After a couple of winters of these heroics, I eventually gave up on this idea. Now, I try to use the waste heat from the ICE (and also lessen the load on a cold battery) and realize that there will be numerous opportunities the rest of the year to go 100% EV.

FWIW

·
Registered
73 Posts
So you bought a van to not use hvac in summer or winter? It’s a phev and if battery goes down it will use the engine or go in hybrid mode . I guess your type of guys that don’t use ac in house in summer too , any vehicle will draw power from anything being utilized . You might as well turn radio off as well ..
I never said any of that lol. I personally will never sacrifice comfort to save pennies. My point was you incorrectly said the electric heating doesn't draw that much power. It does, which is the main reason EV range is drastically reduced in cold temperatures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts